hifinutt

tannoy factory in coatbridge - housing proposal

sad news
Proposals are being developed to construct 60 new houses on the site of the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge.

A live online consultation event is taking place tomorrow to seek public feedback which will “help inform the preparation of detailed plans” for the land at Palacecraig Street.

The masterplan for the site, shared on a dedicated project website, states that it would include “a mixture of family homes alongside smaller starter or downsizer homes”, ranging from one to three bedrooms and from flats to detached houses.

It states: “Paloma Capital intend to bring forward a proposal for residential development on the land currently [occupied by] the Tannoy factory.

Derelict Coatbridge church and manse to be demolished
“Should the application be successful, Paloma Capital would then market the site to housebuilders to take the proposed development forward to the next stage, presenting even more detailed plans with specific house types – this will require further applications in due course.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...TAUGdOCMHg2h8wWDN79wXGE_pS5YB9opw-ZMmzKRWQ8zo

I could not get the newspaper link to work, so not sure of its content. Is the Tannoy factory already closed. I'm assuming production will continue somewhere?  

10 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

I could not get the newspaper link to work, so not sure of its content. Is the Tannoy factory already closed. I'm assuming production will continue somewhere?  

The factory has closed down. I believe the speakers are now made in China.

30 minutes ago, StingRay said:

The factory has closed down. I believe the speakers are now made in China.

What ? I thought Tannoy was still producing the Prestige speakers somewhere in Scotland ?

Edited by Hifimad1

Yep, with increased investment in Coatbridge in 2016.  Some low-end models are made in China.

3 minutes ago, meninblack said:

Yep, with increased investment in Coatbridge in 2016.  Some low-end models are made in China.

Seems to be some confusion over it, the local SNP MP said "One of the first issues that came to my attention after being elected in 2016 was the closure of the Tannoy business in my constituency. As members may know, Tannoy had been a major employer in Coatbridge for decades and the closure had a devastating impact on the workforce and their families."

If it is still open why are they planning this redevelopment. They had announced redundancies back in 2017.

They planned to close it but did a last-minute U-turn.

So the local mp is talking in the wrong tense?

Seems a few staff left and set up Fyne Audio in 2017: "This played a significant part in the motivation of a team of experienced ex-Tannoy employees to embark on a journey to start Fyne Audio."

40 minutes ago, meninblack said:

They planned to close it but did a last-minute U-turn.

My understanding was Tannoy was taken over by the parent company of Behringer, Music Tribe. They had a grand paln to move all the production to China and therefore decided to make the staff redundant as they were no longer needed. The senior engineers formed Fyne Audio. However, (so the story goes) they went to China and other counries and informed them that Tannoy speakers would be made in China and therefore cheaper. The Chinese dealers (and others) were totally unimpressed and made their feelings known. Behringer reversed their decision and restarted making Tannoy's Prestige range in Coatbridge again. The cheaper speakers are made in China.

So selling the factory land is odd and of course could be a new development. I am unaware of any change, but it is possible and no one in the industry has been informed.

Edited by George 47
Music Tribe is the parent company
  • Like 2

When phoned the telephone number given for the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge comes up as unobtainable, suggesting the factory is closed. 

Although dating back to 2017 the following article indicates the same conclusion. 

https://www.psneurope.com/business/tannoy-claims-scottish-production-will-continue-despite-gmb-report

I remember when the original announcement was made and some on this site came to same conclusion as the Chinese dealers subsequently did.

I would have thought it was blindingly obvious that the mystique of niche brands like Tannoy is their history and location. On all objective levels, their products are old fashioned, oversized and overpriced.  But it is their long history of similar, well regarded iconic products that keeps public interest high, but it doesn't take much for that to be lost and then the brand will be finished.

How the new Tannoy mgt could not see the same points to serious naivety and also lack of brand awareness.

I have had huge enjoyment from the classic Tannoys I have owned, but I would never buy a Chinese produced Tannoy.

Edited by graham67
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

thats a pain 

have a look at this 

https://www.palacecraigplanning.com/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/housing-proposal-coatbridge-factory-site-22883220?fbclid=IwAR1A1jwr0cojDFoNdUI2_dPMAFgNqgI9TvGhhHhK6W9UrFN1oeaS-XeLZj4

Edited by hifinutt

Super Wammer

https://uat-community.musictribe.com/discussions/109554/294041/tannoy-factory-tour-behind-the-scenes-tour-of-tannoy-music-tribe

Dated March 2020 and in Coatbridge. It's weird that they would have posted this and then immediately closed the factory. But closed it seems to be. Marketing jobs moved to Midas in Manchester.

Edited by DomT