bohemian

Having Fun x 2. Deep Joy!

I recently purchased an older valve amp that I have always liked the look of - a Manley Stingray - not the latest incarnation but still the same basic configuration.

I have been listening to it exclusively for the last few weeks but now I have connected my sources (cdp and pi server) to both amps and both power amp outputs to the same speakers.

So now I can change from one amp to the other and do better A/B comparisons. 

There is no question which is the better, but the Manley acquits itself very well and is perfectly listenable if my main amps failed.

Happy bunny going to have FUN through the lockdown. :D

8 minutes ago, bohemian said:

... but now I have connected my sources (cdp and pi server) to both amps and both power amp outputs to the same speakers.

I've sometimes thought of doing that, but is it safe? 

I have no idea, but have always shied away from doing it. 

Still, it obviously hasn't blown up yet! 

Edited by JANDL100

Super Dealer

Unless you've got a special switching arrangement that connects the disconnected amp to a load resistor this is strictly NOT recommended for a valve amplifier. In practice, you may get away with it but why risk expensive equipment that you love and enjoy?

Only one amplifier is switched on at a time.  When the PrimaLuna is operating the power lead is removed from the Manley and vice versa. The Tannoys are biwireable so with the jumper cables in I can use one pair of sockets for one lead and the other pair for the other speaker lead.

As only one amplifier is powered at a time I don’t think there’s a problem, other than not being to do an immediate switch over.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

Super Dealer

OK that clarifies! You should be fine. Have fun😀

So, assuming the speaker cables all remain connected, it's OK for a turned off amp to get the other amp to pump power into it? 

I don’t know

Super Dealer
41 minutes ago, Juancho said:

OK that clarifies! You should be fine. Have fun😀

I am not familiar with the Manley Stringray but if it has output transformers wouldn’t the arrangement mean that even though it is unplugged, the other amp would be ‘driving’ the output windings of the Manley as well as the speakers. That may or may not be an issue for the Manley. 

• Like 1

Getting technical now. I might just unplug the other leads.

(Or use directional leads :D)

• Haha 1

I must admit, I'd unplug it for now and either wait for further considered and knowledgeable responses here or maybe start a new thread asking for advice. 

Super Dealer

I had understood you had the speakers connected to one amp. It's unlikely to damage the amp but your having its effective load, and giving it a slightly weird one, so it's no basis for any comparisons in that mode

• Like 1

To be absolutely safe, I have only one system connected at a time.

It is still fun to listen to albums on the two systems.

pi3 digi out Wyred4sound dac2v2/AR cd5 > Manley Stingray > Tannoys

Same sources > PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre > PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Monoblocs > Tannoys.