mr neds

WTD: screws for TD 125 lid?

Hi all. Resurrecting this from a ten year rest at the bottom of my wardrobe! It has a set of three interlinked hinges on the lid, which I assume is the original lid, held on by four countersunk -head bolts, of which two are missing. I’d had the foresight to put them in my hi fi bits and bolts box, but not all of them!. As they’re a specific length and thread size, I don’t think I’ll find a substitute. Any out there?

cheers

Neds

Super Wammer

The tt being of European manufacture I would say they would be metric csk machine screws. 

If you can't get the exact length then buy longer.

Add two nuts (one locks against the other) adjust their position to achieve the length you want and the cut to length. 

Back the nuts away from the cut end and gently file the tip to clean it up. 

Removing the nuts will act like a thread die, cleaning the thread so it will engage correctly when inserted on the tt. It's also worth running the last nut 1/2 off and fully on a few times to ensure the thread is cleaned/cut properly at the end. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You’re right Lurchie- of course they’re metric! Didn’t think it through......I dug out some Allen bolts from work and they’re the same size. Wrong heads though. M 3- 4, not marked. Might have trouble getting countersink heads

Super Wammer

Have you got any photos of the hinges Mr Neds? A lot of these are often built by different companies. I have an Aladdins cave of old Linn, Thorens and a few other brands of stuff floating around

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Might have trouble getting countersink heads

Really 🤔

Screenshot_20201024-191954.png

Screenshot_20201024-192009.png

Screenshot_20201024-192023.png