wuzznbuddy

WTD - high quality line stage (eg ARC ref 3,5 Puresound L300)

Looking for a high quality line stage. Shortlist currently is Audio Research 3 or 5, or Puresound L300. But open to other suggestions. Ideally with XLR outputs. Budget is around £4k, but happy to spend less! 

if you have anything which might fit the bill, let me know.

Edited by wuzznbuddy

1 hour ago, wuzznbuddy said:

if you have anything which might fit the bill, let me know.

I have an Audio research LS26 that I was going to advertise shortly, 8 line inputs, 2 pre and one recorder outs, all sockets are duplicated on both single ended phonos and balanced XLRs. It is in excellent physical and aural condition and comes with the original manual, remote and double box, PM me if you are interested.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wizmax said:

I have an Audio research LS26 that I was going to advertise shortly, 8 line inputs, 2 pre and one recorder outs, all sockets are duplicated on both single ended phonos and balanced XLRs. It is in excellent physical and aural condition and comes with the original manual, remote and double box, PM me if you are interested.  

Thanks. Great amp, but I’m really after a Reference. 

31 minutes ago, wuzznbuddy said:

Thanks. Great amp, but I’m really after a Reference. 

Good luck with your search.

Fantastic ,  ? A ls 27 just came on at emporium,  some say as good as ref 3 which is getting a bit old 

If you have a bit more ££££ then HiFi trading station have 2 ref 6 

A ridiculously priced ls26 went recently at about 1400. They are pretty good amps 

Not seen any l300 or l10 for months and months . One Irish dealer has been trying to sell a l10 for many months now on ebay but I think it's overpriced 

Ref5se come up occassionaly at about 5500 but they sell in hours ....even in covid times . Very good investment!

Edited by hifinutt

Cheapest option is modwright 36.5, half the price of arc, very popular , great build .VERY  good support from Dan Wright and has xlr . About 1800 for a 36.5 with the new buttons , about 3.7 for dm41 version which is around ref 5 Sonics.  I have had all of them ! 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

That will be "WTD - high quality TUBE line stage" then: high quality solid state and high quality passive pre's need not apply...!

Good luck with your search.

If you have a £4k budget you should be buying a supratek 

• Like 1

Have a look at a Stereo Coffee LDR - you will laugh at the price, but not when you hear one...

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, wuzznbuddy said:

Thanks. Will look into the Modwright amps. 
I’m not wedded to a tube amp - I’d consider SS. Never been a fan of passives though. 

On solid state: cool, that clarification might broaden the search.

On passives: not all passives are born equal. The normal potentiometer ones I've tried have underwhelmed. A good Autotransformer (Townshend Allegri or the Icon4 reviewed by George47 recently) or TVC (basically Music First Audio=MFA) are a class above... and I suspect if you heard an MFA Baby Ref you'd be gobsmacked. With your sort of budget you really really really should, even if it's just to rule it out, which is unlikely. We're talking transparency and drive/energy which puts most actives to shame. Talk to @Lurch.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I've got a Silvaweld SWC-1000R - 4 rca ins/1xlr in, 1 xlr and rca out. 4x WE417A valves fitted.

I also have a Silvaweld Aphrodite as well - 5 xlr in, 2 xlr out.

They're both line only so you'll need a separate phono stage if required.

--Jatinder

I have a Townshend Allegri available which perfectly matches the description provided by TheFlash. 
I would like a very small portion of your budget for it, if though you would like to pay me all of it, I will certainly consider...

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

I have an ARC Ref2 Mk1 which needs a bit of remedial work doing on it.....but it's in superb condition....

Edited by vintageaxeman