A test for power cables

Phobic

yes power cables again, I know, I know, I know 9_9

I've been reading threads about power cables for decades. I'm firmly in the buy decent quality good gauge not stupid money camp.

but.....

I wonder why the debate rages on still.

so my question is what is the right scientific test to prove that expensive audiophile cables do or don't make a difference. I'm talking hard science, real measurements, undeniable proof. No double blind A+B pepperoni pizza trust your ears testing.

real test gear, real measurements, real results that we can see. Let's not constrain it to home gamer test equipment either, real lab gear is fine.

we need to cater for crappy power supply and remove any effect of filtering/conditioning from the equation. I expect this to be a light hearted and friendly thread, after all both side have an interest in agreeing to something!

Edited by Phobic

Why subject yourself to diametrically opposite opinions.

Would you ask the same question about two amplifiers?

My advice, is to ring Darren at Clearer Audio. Get a couple of Mains Cables. Use the 60 day return period to assess them - as you would any other bit of equipment.......and send them back if they aren't worth the money.

Simples.

• Upvote 2

You need to listen to music my friend. Mains cables are a minefield. 
If you have decent consistent mains coming in to your house, a decent normal shielded cable will be all you need. 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

this is just a thought experiment, you're right giving it a go would help anyone who wanted to make their mind up, however "just listen" is subjective and fallible.

Edited by Phobic

1 minute ago, Phobic said:

this is just a thought experiment, you're right giving it a go would help anyone who wanted to make their mind up, however "just listen" is subjective and fallible.

Of course it is....but it's what you (presumably) did when you ended up with Linn.

Treat it the same way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phobic said:

I wonder why the debate rages on still.

Ultimately because there will always be people who think they hear a difference even if there isn't one.

I'd want a properly conducted blind listening test to convince me now. I have previously spent too much on fancy mains leads that I thought made the sound better, but when I removed a load to hear the big degradation in sounds I frankly didn't hear one.

I now just use some shielded mains leads to stop any potential 50 Hz mains interference getting into signals cables but frankly even that is probably unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, CnoEvil said:

Of course it is....but it's what you (presumably) did when you ended up with Linn.

Treat it the same way.

that's more about personal preference.

Speakers have a number of tests that can be done on them to indicate their performance in a number of areas

I have what I consider to be some of  the very best among the few that are available in mains and speaker cables. 

If you also have the very best in a particular amplification and quite possibly loudspeakers then to extract the best from them the same must apply with mains and speaker cabling. 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'd want a properly conducted blind listening test to convince me now. I have previously spent too much on fancy mains leads that I thought made the sound better, but when I removed a load to hear the big degradation in sounds I frankly didn't hear one.

What would a double blind listening test look like?

how do isolate and mains interference/variance? filtering/conditioning? batteries?

Consistency and keeping the same system is a minimum, but what system? a £50 boombox? 200k system? trad speakers + pre + power + source? what source? active speaker? combo devices?

the more I think about this the more this might be an interesting WAM show event...

1 minute ago, 2010*zuma said:

If you also have the very best in a particular amplification and quite possibly loudspeakers then to extract the best from them the same must apply with mains and speaker cables. 

I'm willing to believe you, but why is this the case, how are you going to undeniably prove it to me? :)

2 minutes ago, Phobic said:

What would a double blind listening test look like?

I'm not going to waste time getting into a long discussion about this one :)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm not going to waste time getting into a long discussion about this one :)

you're telling me you have better things to do on a Saturday night? :doh:

ha ha I'm not trying to convert or convince anybody... I guess you could find a veiled statement in there somewhere... I dont think anybody barring myself has even heard my system...except the cat...she wasn't interested one iota... as far as the envelope goes I keep pushing it... adding the quality mains and speakers cabling I did rendered me speechless on first listen...my expectations were low too being a cable sceptic.. if you get it right the results can be incredible. 

Edited by 2010*zuma

If there was one proven case where in a properly conducted comparison a listener consistently picked one cable over another don’t you think the manufacturer would be making a huge song and dance about ti, there has never been a single case where one power cable has been consistently chosen once you remove the sighted component of course.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3