A test for power cables

Phobic

9 hours ago, hearhere said:

No need to pay silly money to move your 240 volts AC (or 110 volts) the last meter or two from the wall socket, BUT - this is the section of cable closest to the sensitive electronics in the unit, so it is worth getting a cable with a screen and drain so it doesn't pick up or transfer RF interference.  Belden 19364 is an ideal cable for power leads and is under £6 per meter.  It's made from oxygen-free copper of 14 AWG.  Absolutely no need to pay more.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELDEN-19364-SHIELDED-MAINS-POWER-CABLE-PER-METRE/150872772623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is what I used to 'make' a power lead for my power amp recently. As well as being a sensible cost it also has the advantage of not being so absurdly thick that you can't use fairly standard connectors. 

1 minute ago, High 5 said:

Siltech Triple Crown power cable -  1.5 metre long at £16,690.00

https://www.analogueseduction.net/mains-cables/siltech-triple-crown-power-cable.html

Have you bought one, or are you trying to point out that there are cables available to purchase that many of us would consider absurdly expensive?

Either way, it has nothing to do with whether power cables do or don't, or can or can't, make a difference.

No it just purely highlights the absolute charlatanism of much of today’s hi-fi.

Disgraceful.

Keith

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rabski said:

Have you bought one, or are you trying to point out that there are cables available to purchase that many of us would consider absurdly expensive?

Either way, it has nothing to do with whether power cables do or don't, or can or can't, make a difference.

Apologies Rabski. I think my motivation was a lame attempt to highlight the absurdity of this whole conversation....and no I haven’t bought one. Even if I was a billionaire I would no more waste money any of these cables, than I would buy aftermarket diamond encrusted square shaped wheels for my Bugatti Veyron.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rabski said:

Maybe it's because we already know they don't and can't. This thread is a  bit like one that discusses whether 5G is responsible for covid or not.

Edited by Muckplaster
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

True, because we already know they don't and can't. This thread is a  bit like one that discusses whether 5G is responsible for covid or not.

The entire point is that there is no actual proof. Everything else is just opinions or beliefs wrapped in a veneer of pseudo-science. Comparing it with the 5G debate is irrelevant and deflecting from the question. I have my own opinions, but that's all they are. Opinions.

The point of this thread was the OP asking, quite reasonably, for ideas of ways to actually obtain some level of validity for any of the claims made about power cables. As you I am sure are aware, there is certainly plenty of valid evidence that screening of power cables and/or ferrites can help reduce radiation from cables, so in a way they therefore can make a difference. The question is whether thay can make any difference in other ways.

My own opinion is that any difference, if audible and repeatable, is likely to be a secondary effect on other components as a result of reduced radiation. But as before, that's just an opinion. It's based on my own observations and on the science I understand and am aware of. That does not make it 'proof'. I have mentioned before that an awful lot of what were considered 'facts' with regard to cables went out of the window a long time back with regard to the electron transfer model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phobic said:

Maybe a better question would be "how is it best to setup a demo of power cables for a group of skeptics who are open to changing their minds"

Seriously?

If you (personally) really want to know, just go listen. Take any good reference system and wire it up with kettle leads.

But you will never be able to prove anything to anybody, as should be obvious from this thread...

Edited by Heckyman
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Heckyman said:

Seriously?

If you (personally) really want to know, just go listen. Take any good reference system and wire it up with kettle leads.

my take out from this thread is that doing that wouldn't allow the listener to know 1 way or the other for sure

Edited by Phobic
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Phobic said:

my take out from this thread is that doing that wouldn't allow the listener to know 1 way or the other for sure

Surely the point of all this is that at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is whether you are personally convinced one way or another (or whether you are unconvinced either way). How (if) you reach that point is, as has been pointed out very clearly in the discussion above, fraught with difficulty.

• Like 3

Just now, Phobic said:

Now you're getting into epistemology...

5 minutes ago, Phobic said:

Best to get some on trial, you can use for about 60 days and then return if they are not worth it, or just don't worry about them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

Surely the point of all this is that at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is whether you are personally convinced one way or another (or whether you are unconvinced either way). How (if) you reach that point is, as has been pointed out very clearly in the discussion above, fraught with difficulty.

yes I agree, I just don't know that I have the ability to convince myself 1 way or the other. 

the differences/improvements are going to be minor and as a result much more open to other external influences (both real and imagined).

I'm not joking when I say I've been pondering if I should look in more detail at after market power cables for over 20 years. I came into this conversation with an honest question and an open mind.

I'm still no further forward 1 way or the other....Hopefully people will recognise that I have put personal effort into trying to resolve things in my own mind. If I still can't after following 100s of threads like this 1, I doubt someone new to the topic will have much of a chance.

There's been some good objective points made, and valid points made by both camps. Ultimately though there's nothing anyone's said which convinced me either way.

13 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Best to get some on trial, you can use for about 60 days and then return if they are not worth it, or just don't worry about them.

I'm not yet convinced I could trust the results so not sure if it's worth the effort right now.

think I'm putting this back into the box labelled "might improve things", unfortunately there's lots of other boxes which I'm personally already convinced will deliver improvements which are a better use of my time and finite £. think it will remain a low priority until time/budget/laws of diminishing returns increases it's priority significantly.  

bugger me if I didn't just come to a conclusion in my own mind...

Edited by Phobic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Phobic said:

yes I agree, I just don't know that I have the ability to convince myself 1 way or the other. 

the differences/improvements are going to be minor and as a result much more open to other external influences (both real and imagined).

If differences are so minor you think you may be imagining them, it's probably not worth worrying about. Even more so if the trial period was long.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1