Phobic

A test for power cables

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Don Ruperto said:

Hifi News once carried the results of a test which proved that the colour of an interconnect's PVC outer actually did influence the sound.  Think about some of the common ingredients found in paint, dye, oil colours... 

You don’t paint cables.. the colour is extruded into the PVC with heat .. I would agree that various pigments may have a dielectric effect ..many are based on oxides , Rutile titanium, molybdates....phthalocyanine ,, . Since 2015 new legislation is doing away with the older chrome pigments ..maybe they were better lol 

kindest regards Julian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Ruperto said:

Hifi News once carried the results of a test which proved that the colour of an interconnect's PVC outer actually did influence the sound.  Think about some of the common ingredients found in paint, dye, oil colours... 

On a sighted or unsighted test?

Some liquids are good conductors.

There used to be a company making speaker cables with a liquid conductor, I can't recall its name. North of £1k/m.

But let's not get carried away...

That's my (very limited 25 years ago) experience. A friend and I tried 3 different IEC power cables on his preamp. A normal (black) one, a £100 black one and an expensive yellow one. The yellow on sounded slightly different to the black ones. Very marginal. 

On a personal note, it is one of those variables I choose to ignore as the potential consequences are too nebulous. And I really feel I have far more significant things to fret about...

• Upvote 1

Took quite a while to read this thread but I persevered!  These are difficult times and many folk are very angry for a number of reasons mainly COVID related so the bitterness Rabski noted isn’t surprising. I’ve been playing with mains cables recently too and comparing a DH Labs with an Atlas 4DD. To me the latter sound richer on any equipment but I haven’t done a blind test and can’t be fagged + I’d feel silly if I couldn’t tell which was which - oops what a giveaway....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Don Ruperto said:

So camouflage colour will prevent rfi and emi attack then😀

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, monya said:

+ I’d feel silly if I couldn’t tell which was which - oops what a giveaway....

It’s when you think you’ve left cable X connected and are enjoying it the next day, then realise it’s actually cable Y that’s connected.  If you’re lucky Y is the one you’ve used for years, and X can be returned!  

5 hours ago, bigrod said:

You don’t paint cables..

Sarcasm alert.... 

Well I never knew that - you surprise me!  :roll:  I paint mine with artist's oils I'll have you know. xD

Thank you for then going on to post exactly what I couldn't be bothered to.  I thought people could join the dots for themselves you see. 

Edited by Don Ruperto

24 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

Each and every type of mains cable will have different sonic characteristics.

In your opinion :).

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In your opinion :).

You will have a full time job if you are going to start adding that to everything that everyone says on here!! I can think of a few culprits that could do with a little bit of that adding to most of their posts. :)

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

Each and every type of mains cable will have different sonic characteristics.  Just like interconnects and speaker cables. 

System dependent too.  Just like interconnects and speaker cables. 

Where is your evidence?

9 hours ago, Don Ruperto said:

So which colour was the best?