Phobic

A test for power cables

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

My daughters reckon my vacuum cleaner spends it time sobbing in the cupboard through loneliness and neglect. 

Visiting friends are want to ask “How come you have four vacuum cleaners but never seem to use, erm, them?” My reply is that I was seduced by the marketing and talk of whirling air currents, the glossy brochures,  not to mention the efficient colours to the extent that I forgot to consult VSR (vacuum science review). ;)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer
9 minutes ago, Camverton said:

VSR (vacuum science review)

Made me smile!

36 minutes ago, Camverton said:

VSR (vacuum science review).

That sucks...

Making jokes like that is just Dyson with death... :minikev:

• Haha 4

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Camverton said:

I used to live within a couple of miles of the Wrotham transmitter. I can’t say that I noticed my vacuum cleaner playing the radio; mind you I wasn’t very closely acquainted with my vacuum cleaner...

Actually, that’s made me wonder if it must’ve been Droitwich, because MW and LW transmitters are there I think, whereas perhaps Wrotham is only FM.  It must’ve been AM to play in a vacuum cleaner, rather in the way a crystal set works.  I can’t thing FM would decode!  Spoils the joke a bit but that’s my logical side coming out.  What do you reckon?

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Actually, that’s made me wonder if it must’ve been Droitwich, because MW and LW transmitters are there I think, whereas perhaps Wrotham is only FM.  It must’ve been AM to play in a vacuum cleaner, rather in the way a crystal set works.  I can’t thing FM would decode!  Spoils the joke a bit but that’s my logical side coming out.  What do you reckon?

Aha, if I’d known that I might have done a bit more hoovering!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phobic said:

isn't the answer though to just shield the power cable?

stop the pixies getting in or out!

(after much thought) No, won't make any difference unless the screen (terminated at both ends)  has 0nH inductance. 

(re reads the question) Er, if the mains cable is shielded, i.e screen only grounded at the "ground rod" end, don't know, have to think about that for a few more hours.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yes but an extremely inefficient transmitter as the speaker cable is so short relative to the wavelength of audio signal in the cable (20 kHz would have a wavelength of ballpark 12 km).

Yes absolutely. I am not claiming this as a solution to a (non-existent) problem, it's just a thought experiment as to how the audio could get on to the mains cable.

2 hours ago, slavedata said:

Back in my youth I lived near the Brookman's park transmitter. Using a red phone box the Home Service was always in the background.

Not quite so near, but I had a crystal set made of a ferrite rod coil, a diode and an old dynamic microphone (like coles tweeter), that would only pick up Brookman's Park, a variable capacitor only adjusted the volume!. It was so loud I could hear it through my pillow, when young me was in bed. Infact I would consider that my first Hi Fi, it sounded really good.

2 hours ago, Camverton said:

I used to live within a couple of miles of the Wrotham transmitter. I can’t say that I noticed my vacuum cleaner playing the radio; mind you I wasn’t very closely acquainted with my vacuum cleaner...

I have a real temptation to take this thread in a seriously unpleasant direction. Surprisingly, I shall refrain.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, rabski said:

I have a real temptation to take this thread in a seriously unpleasant direction. Surprisingly, I shall refrain.

Spoilsport 😂

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rabski said:

Cause or cure for farmers?

3 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Cause or cure for farmers?

Worse. But then I am a bad person with some seriously bad thoughts at times.

10 hours ago, rabski said:

as the saying goes, there's no bad situation which can't get worse

• Haha 3

Do I have to read 30 pages? 😍

I have a simple view, I look for really big changes. Rabski did the best job of explaining these points earlier... Audio memory is terrible, measurement is never good enough, DBTs test conditions have to be so perfect you certainly can’t achieve it in an average house, where even the time of day will impact mains voltage. 

My findings... like politics this is where you may find your own internal bias will kicking in...

I have couple of thousands of pounds worth of mains cables and can’t hear a difference with any of them. I have equally expensive interconnects and speaker cables where I can head big differences. I don’t know why and I don’t worry about that. I keep the mains cables in as they are like a comfort blanket. My friends who have no vested interest were very surprised at the difference cables make and weren’t expecting it. Hope this is of some use!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim F said:

Do I have to read 30 pages? 😍

Yes you do.

This thread has been an epiphany and a revelation. Once and for all and for the first time ever, definitively coming to the answer that every Cable Thread has been searching for since the inception of HiFi Forums. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Yes you do.

This thread has been an epiphany and a revelation. Once and for all and for the first time ever, definitively coming to the answer that every Cable Thread has been searching for since the inception of HiFi Forums. :dunno:

So Keith now believes in cables ? 

which is.... 🥁