Onez

Audiolab 8000A speakers to match

Hi all,

I finally decided to start a thread myself as regardless the fact I've read posts around the web everybody seems to have a different opinion. 

So here I am. I recently pursued an Audiolab 8000A (black versione made in England). My living room is approx. 5m x 3,75m there are curtains and the floor is almost completely covered by two carpets. There are shelfs and an Ikea Kallax. one big canvas painting on one wall too. In front of the couch there is also pretty big glass window (2,5m x 1,63m). 
I have mounted two shelfs on the wall on the sides of the window and they hold the speakers (currently I have two AudioResearch 4xR). 

I feel like they miss details in the medium high range, and that there is a lack of definition. I play CDs, Vinyl records and tapes (I use a Nakamichi BX-2).

My cds/tapes/records collection vary from organic music such as disco, funk, boogie ,jazz to also house and techno and electronic music. So I would like to have a good rounded sound but without the need to put up the volume too much. I recently received complains from above neighbours as the walls are thin :)

I would like to know what bookshelf speakers would you suggest in such circumstances?
I've read that the Audiolab 8000A matches well with:

- Mission 751( apparently there is an issue with the material that surround the tweeters). 
- Dynaudio Focus 140 found one pair for sale second hand. 

Do you have some suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance for helping out and for your experience!

All the best,

You should go for a warm sounding speaker. Mission, Kef may work. I would be careful with Dyns, the treble can be a bit forward. Re volume I would look at efficient speakers which should give you room filling sound without too high a volume, I think Dyns tend to be quite inefficient. I had some AR4xa years ago, they were ok, a bit dull. Some Wharfedales may be worth considering. Just seen the bit about wall mounting, can you not have them on stands? Most speakers will sound better on stands with some space away from the wall. 

Have you read this:

Edited by StingRay

Super Wammer

Unfortunately, so-called bookshelf speakers invariably sound dreadful on shelves.  That’s because they are too close to the wall and on something that can vibrate.  And possibly at less than the ideal height. Most work far better on stands. 

The baby brother to your old AR4xa - my first ever Hifi purchase! - the AR7, worked very well attached to a wall.  Yours might be ok too, as they’re a sealed box/infinite baffle design that’s now sadly far less common than in the 1970s. But as you note, they’re not exactly sparkling clear.  And they’re probably well past their best mechanically.  

Some of the smaller Q Acoustics designs are offered with wall mountings, and generally the smaller speakers will have less bass to bother your neighbours or to boom in your room due to wall proximity. 

How much do you want to spend, and can you visit a dealer for a listen?

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

I would go firstly with a pairs of Mission 751 that I found for a 100. 
I would start from the cheapest solution (i.e. 751)  and see if it suffice for me.
I've read that pairing the 751 with the Audiolab might result in a too much bright set up. 
In this room I think that  hopefully should not be a problem as it's filled with carpets and curtains.  
I think it's well worth to try it out. In case I won't be happy with that I can always look for something else :)
Unfortunately I have space issues and I can just keep the speakers in those shelves. 

Budget max around 600.
I would probably look more into vintage sets of speaker as the new ones are a bit too expensive for me, most of the times. 
But I will keep my hear and eyes open. 

Do you happen to know why some people say that the tone of the Audiolab shouldn't be touched, what's the foundation of that?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, Onez said:

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

I would go firstly with a pairs of Mission 751 that I found for a 100. 
I would start from the cheapest solution (i.e. 751)  and see if it suffice for me.
I've read that pairing the 751 with the Audiolab might result in a too much bright set up. 
In this room I think that  hopefully should not be a problem as it's filled with carpets and curtains.  
I think it's well worth to try it out. In case I won't be happy with that I can always look for something else :)
Unfortunately I have space issues and I can just keep the speakers in those shelves. 

Budget max around 600.
I would probably look more into vintage sets of speaker as the new ones are a bit too expensive for me, most of the times. 
But I will keep my hear and eyes open. 

Do you happen to know why some people say that the tone of the Audiolab shouldn't be touched, what's the foundation of that?

thanks!

If the speakers don’t work I would consider changing the amp, something like an older Arcam, such as 7 or 8 which are around £100. 

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Onez said:

When that model was new, many thought tone controls spoiled the sound a little, hence several rivals didn’t fit them at all. They’re still not commonly available, unlike what was typical in the pre-CD era.  That’s why they have a bypass button, to avoid the circuitry. 

No reason not to try them, but if you’ve never used them, they may crackle due to age, dust etc.  

59 minutes ago, chezi said:

Quad 11 or 12L's sound awsome with Audiolab 

I have found one pair of Quad12L and tried to contact the seller. 

I used to use Chario Hiper 3s with my 8000a.  Great match although they may be a little large for you.

1 hour ago, Onez said:

Your carpets and curtains will not make the pairing less bright.

You could try balancing things up a bit with the treble control but you'll most likely be disappointed in the long run.

I second @CnoEvil's suggestions.

Edited by tuga

On 25/10/2020 at 15:23, StingRay said:

If the speakers don’t work I would consider changing the amp, something like an older Arcam, such as 7 or 8 which are around £100. 

I think the 8000a is a great amp and I wouldn't want to swap it out if it is still working well.  I have had a few in my time and feel rather sad that I no longer own one.  Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 would be another low cost option.