Lurch

SME 3009 Series 2, Stick or Twist?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, stylesound said:

Where can one buy this stylus and what is the retail price?

https://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop943300/Products/ARP77-SASB&Locale=en_GB

Super Wammer

The Pickering V15 AME2 came with the deck & P77 was on my Ariston RD80SL (now for sale). Luckily wizmax lives nearby and pops over regularily, and gives me the opportunity to try a Rohmann mc & a Shure V15 IV (once he gets a stylus for it) due to his Stax arm having detachable headshell. 

The P77 in my main rig through the Tron Seven Ultimate sounds bloody superb, very musical & detailed, definitely not recessed or dull.

Have yet to try it into the PS of my Cambridge C50/2x bridged A50s in my 2nd system which will be the decks main home, as am awaiting the arrival of a T27 to get one of my 104ab back up and running. 

You say your P77 is 'bloody superb' so no more to be said.  I also have a P77 which to my ears is also superb.

Another advantage of keeping the 3009 Series 2 is that by virtue of it having a detachable headshell you can quickly change cartridges and evaluate them.  Many different makes of headshells will fit and are readily available at reasonable cost.  One of the other arms you were considering is an SME 309.  Yes its a lovely arm but a nightmare to swop headshells and these are a unique fit to this series of arm but at an exhorbitant cost which is why I got rid of mine.

Edited by stylesound

Im firmly in the '2' camp John.

I must declare Ive never had one so i have no direct experience of what they can do (which should rule me out of contributing), except what Ive heard from yours in the last few days.

I would take advantage of their high value to collectors and put money towards an arm that can handle a better cartridge, e.g., a moving coil as they sound better and are less noisy.

A third option, which I mentioned to you in conversation, is to go for a plinth that's compatible with a medium to high mass 12" arm and see if that floats your boat. You could then sample the delights of low compliance Ortofons, EMTs, Miyajimas and the like. That might prove to be the 'less hifi - greater  musicality' route..?

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man