TheFlash

My digital world: reclocking experiences

Just now, Lord J said:

AD855BC7-734A-42D4-8FB3-23A7EEB18BA1.png

If your streaming this is even more interesting. He’s not using a pimped node or an outboard Dac!

Super Wammer

He is a weirdo & pedant who has been banned from here and other forums under various guises for his views & attitude. Anything he says is best taken with a shovel of salt. 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
5 hours ago, Lord J said:

If your streaming this is even more interesting. He’s not using a pimped node or an outboard Dac!

I’m sorry but he is falling into the classic trap of mistaking noise artefacts as being ‘clearer and cleaner and less tonally smooth‘ and thinking that the 2i is better because of that. And thereby is the flaw in all he is saying. Pimping the Node2i takes it in the other direction and more in the direction of the sound of a Zenith. So on that basis he would be saying he prefers the unpimped 2i compared to the pimped 2i and for anyone who has heard the sound quality uplift of pimping a 2i that is a ludicrous assessment. 

As John @Lurch suggests take everything that the guy says with a shovel of salt. John Darko has called him out in public and a number of well known HiFi manufacturers have commenced legal action against him. 

Edited by Fourlegs

Oh, wow, really?

I certainly did mean to cause any controversy. I just saw the newly posted review and thought it pertinent. 
Can you enlighten me any further with some examples of wrongdoing?

7 minutes ago, Lord J said:

Oh, wow, really?

I certainly did mean to cause any controversy. I just saw the newly posted review and thought it pertinent. 
Can you enlighten me any further with some examples of wrongdoing?

Please, let's not get into discussion of banned members - it breaks our (few) rules.

Edited by Tony_J

10 hours ago, Lord J said:

Worth a look.

Definitely not!

Why would I waste my time over a youtuber's uneducated and unsupported opinion (this guy's, Darko's, etc.)?

Edited by tuga

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, tuga said:

Why would I waste my time over a youtuber's uneducated and unsupported opinion (this guy's, Darko's, etc.)?

when there are plenty of those on here that we can talk about instead :D

• Haha 2

On 21/11/2020 at 06:09, Fourlegs said:

I’m sorry but he is falling into the classic trap of mistaking noise artefacts as being ‘clearer and cleaner and less tonally smooth‘ and thinking that the 2i is better because of that. And thereby is the flaw in all he is saying. Pimping the Node2i takes it in the other direction and more in the direction of the sound of a Zenith. So on that basis he would be saying he prefers the unpimped 2i compared to the pimped 2i and for anyone who has heard the sound quality uplift of pimping a 2i that is a ludicrous assessment. 

As John @Lurch suggests take everything that the guy says with a shovel of salt. John Darko has called him out in public and a number of well known HiFi manufacturers have commenced legal action against him. 

Morning all but in response to Fourlegs.

OK, I’ve picked myself off of the floor and wiped my mouth after the mistake of forwarding the Youtube review of the Innous Phoenix. I may need that shovel of salt to clean the wounds.

It wasn’t my intention to applaud or decry the article. It was to highlight that in the comments section the Mutec and the Bluesound Node 2i were mentioned as possible cheaper alternatives. 

I have pimped my Node 2i and like you, heard very obvious improvements. After a home demonstration the Mutec has now been added to this digital front end. The improvements the Mutec brought were not subtle and only pushed the sound of the Node 2i further in the direction of where the LPS hinted at where it could go.

Lets look at the costs of the streaming/Transport side of things.

The cost of a Innous Zenith MK111 and a Phoenix is £5500. 

A Node 2i(£500),  LPS mod(£175) and LPS(mine was £220) and the Mutec MC-3 +USB(£875) is £1775 or there abouts.

I believe the Node 2i was/is reduced to £400 for a period of time. The Mutec without USB is £650.

So... £5500 against £1775(or £1475). 

We have to acknowledge that there is no CD ripping functionality in the Node 2i or any internal storage. So that goes in the Innous duo’s favour. However and it’s a big however. The Node 2i has superb operating software (not at Roon level) and has Amazon HD built in. I don’t want an Amazon spat, I’m just saying.

Ive said it before. These systems live and die by their operating software. I’ve had systems that cost Innous money and just don’t flippin work and so have gone back.

So, what am I saying and what has been my intention in this thread and also in the “Pimped Node” thread?

I suppose it’s that if you don’t mind a collection of small boxes from different manufacturers that are not pretty - put them in a cupboard and save your money.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Lord J said:

I suppose it’s that if you don’t mind a collection of small boxes from different manufacturers that are not pretty - put them in a cupboard and save your money.

I fully agree with your points about operating software, and for me the question becomes, what other devices for this money come close to your Bluesound, LPS, Mutec for up to, say, £2,000?   Maybe a Bluesound plus Chord DAC?

As a happy Linn user, I know you can buy a used Akurate DS (digital streamer) from £950 for the earliest model, upwards. And for £1800 have it upgraded to the latest spec, Katalyst, with a factory five year warranty.  Or buy brand new for £6500+!  There are various LUMIN and Auralic streamers that are well reviewed too.   And the Cambridge Edge that’s also pricey.  

Edited by Nopiano

Finished setting up my Mutec MC3+ USB yesterday with the help of Nigel. Must say the Mutec is very well made, solid and heavy for a little item of it's size. The first thing I noticed playing music was the presents of more bass, much more bass, and the digital nasties were gone. My system now sounds totally organic, but there is problem. I may need to upgrade my speakers, now sounds a bit dull. 

I really want to turn up my system now much louder, but is that a bad thing?... Ok May be for the neighbours. The Mutec really is a cohesive sounding piece of kit. 

Edited by Nativebon
Info

33 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I fully agree with your points about operating software, and for me the question becomes, what other devices for this money come close to your Bluesound, LPS, Mutec for up to, say, £2,000?   Maybe a Bluesound plus Chord DAC?

As a happy Linn user, I know you can buy a used Akurate DS (digital streamer) from £950 for the earliest model, upwards. And for £1800 have it upgraded to the latest spec, Katalyst, with a factory five year warranty.  Or buy brand new for £6500+!  There are various LUMIN and Auralic streamers that are well reviewed too.   And the Cambridge Edge that’s also pricey.  

Hello. 
There are other dacs in the world other than Chord. Ha

Sorry, I’m only playing. I’m currently using a Topping D70 with a very good balanced digital cable(there’s a same brand rca spidf coming from the Node 2i) from the Mutec and it’s sounds great. 
There are better dacs but they’re going into the thousands. You cannot beat solid engineering but with dacs, I don’t have the faith that something better is constantly around the corner  

Ive had the Qutest Dac and the Lumin, Auralic, Limetree and others at home for dems. All sounded ok but nothing wanted me to part with my money. 

• Like 1