TheFlash

My digital world: reclocking experiences

16 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

The phrase is "the exception that proves the rule"  prove meaning test*; the opposite to "makes the rule"!

*As in proving ground, for weapons, etc.  And the Italian verb, provare.  Generally misunderstood and misused.

Lazy translation from Portuguese from my part... "a excepção faz a regra" translates as "the exception makes the rule". The Portuguese verb is provar, but we don't use it in this expression.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by tuga

Super Wammer

You really are not getting this are you ? My name if you bothered to check is Andrew and welcome to the Wam . I make no judgement on your experience with cables you have.told.us.honestly.that you heard a massive difference.with.your system and your.ears great glad it works.for you .

If I or.anyone else listen to.the same or.even different cables and have different conclusions then that is also.fair enough we are not doubting what you hear it.is just we are not you and do not have your.system. 

You also will not say what cable you use but if.we do not agree with.You then we have.The problem , well probably not but.please carry on thinking that if it makes you feel that you are right . Thing is there is.no right or wrong on this only opinions so please share yours and be gracious enough to let others disagree .

Super Dealer

It is only that one person that matters, if they previously perceived a difference from a sighted comparison which disappears when unsighted...

Keith

12 minutes ago, StingRay said:

So you did not hear a difference between QED and Black Rodium and yet you say anyone who does not hear differences between a good and an average cable must be cloth eared?

How does @Lord J (or you) know that one is a good and the other an average cable?

Is it the price that makes one better?

:sos:

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, Lord J said:

Oh, I’m not entirely sure who that comment is aimed at?

This is an open HiFi forum isn’t it?

My passion is music and HiFi is the conduit to it. I cannot see why that should be questioned?

I’m aware we are going off topic but a digital cable is pertinent to ones digital reclocking experience. 

Maybe I’m fortunate. I have had the opportunity to listen to many different cables, some very expensive. Some, have ended up in my system, some have not.

For the record, my digital cable exceeds  the price of the actual Node 2i, and by some margin. I tried an QED cable that I owned (£100ish) a Black Rhodium one(£250ish). The differences were minor to the point of nothing. 
For a few reasons, I do not wish to name my cable of choice, but what I will say is that it is over £500 and when I heard it I just had to have it. I had my partner verify that I wasn’t going mad and also some friends whom share the love of music. We all agreed. I’ve reached the point in my HiFi journey that it’s gone beyond sexy new boxes and to “What actually makes the biggest difference?”.

If anyone discounts ANYTHING due to a bias or what they may believe is true is kidding themselves. Which of course they are free to do.

I will be bold and state this.
Regarding cables. If you cannot hear the differences between a good Digital cable and an average one or the difference between a standard mains cable and a good one then you are either deaf/cloth eared or unfortunately your system is not revealing enough.

Now I think I’ve said quite enough.

Good night gentlemen  

I seem to have touched a nerve. Sorry about that .

Yes, it’s an open forum which means you are entitled to express your views and I’m entitled to disagree with them. You said “make or break” rather than “refine” and all I said was that I found that a rather extreme statement.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:55, Lord J said:

Lumin D1 - nice case smooth sound, lovely casework but ultimately, Meh.

Auralic Aries 1 - not very nice at all, to my ears.Ok build.

Lindmann Limetree audio network player - Nice sound, awful and I mean awful operating software. It was advertised as having Spotify built in - It didn’t, even though it was advertised as such(I don’t want a hi res debate). Apparently it now has, 18 months later. £895 for a fancy Apple TV sized box. 

I had others which disappointed which is why I took a punt on the Bluesound with an outboard Dac. I was immediately impressed and drum roll...

... it just worked. And it worked all the time. So I thought, Ok, let’s see how to get the best out of this to a sensible price point.

The Bluesound Node 2 is OK, however the DAC and PSU can be improved, changing the PSU to LPSU is likely to improve the sound quality,  IMHO, more than changing digital cables.

Objectivist vs subjectivist...  

I really do not understand why you cannot be both and the derision of a different point of view really needs to stop. Those who put down people with opposing views automatically diminish any points that they are trying to make.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility for cables to be influenced by their surroundings, other cables, etc. A system isn't one cable in isolation and I have heard differences in some connections and none in others when using different cables.

Edited by Griff500

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

It is only that one person that matters, if they previously perceived a difference from a sighted comparison which disappears when unsighted...

Keith

I'm trying really hard to figure out whether you're just trying to wind me up. In which case, I'm afraid many better than you have tried and failed so you are wasting your time. And mine, which I find slightly more inconsiderate.

Removing one source of potential bias does not automatically remove all others. Any experiment that relies on human perception  requires numerous controls to be put in place and numerous subjects in order to be repeatable and to be considered even remotely valid. This is primary-school science, not doctoral thesis material.

15 minutes ago, tuga said:

How does @Lord J (or you) know that one is a good and the other an average cable?

Is it the price that makes one better?

:sos:

I don't know, Lord John is the expert. 

In my opinion a lot of expensive cables are just cheap cables dressed up. 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
48 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I am surprised that someone with a scientific background refuses to acknowledge the importance of cognitive bias.

Perhaps read up.

Keith

And you are basing your whole belief system on a test that is so insensitive that you have to reduce CD quality down to 128kbps before any difference is perceived :zzzz::D

26 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I seem to have touched a nerve. Sorry about that .

Yes, it’s an open forum which means you are entitled to express your views and I’m entitled to disagree with them. You said “make or break” rather than “refine” and all I said was that I found that a rather extreme statement.

Hi Flash.

If I can replace the term “refine” with “make or break” can all this please stop?

I’m done. 

Cheers

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Lord J said:

Hi Flash.

If I can replace the term “refine” with “make or break” can all this please stop?

I’m done. 

Cheers

Yes!

:peace:

Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I really do not understand why you cannot be both and the derision of a different point of view really needs to stop. Those who put down people with opposing views automatically diminish any points that they are trying to make.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility for cables to be influenced by their surroundings, other cables, etc. A system isn't one cable in isolation and I have heard differences in some connections and none in others when using different cables.

This indeed. These are unhelpful labels in any case, implying that all of us fall into two camps, the good guys who wear the same label as us and that other ignorant lot.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anyone who does DIY has to be both.

Draw up a circuit, apply simulation, convert to PCB, build, measure then finally listen to it.

It now takes a strong character to then listen and decide good or bad subjectively.

If it doesn't sound as good as you would like it to be subjectively, it is a fail.

Then it would be tempting to do a DBT on it because everything sounds the same ?? Not good, anything slightly sub standard would get a pass ...