TheFlash

My digital world: reclocking experiences

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tuga said:

Audiophiles like to believe that theory is incomplete/developing. It opens a door to further exploration.

Green pen anyone, and a couple of frosted CDs on the side please...

.

In fact for most audiophiles the theory is non-existent as it is ignored by us.

maybe a better statement is that theory when applied to audio isn't always mature.

I remember CDs as a format being launched, then ipods...These are both based on longer standing theories.

I read an interesting article about computers directly interfacing into the brain recently, trials are underway to allow amputees the control of robotic limbs via brain implants.

for me personally it's not a stretch to believe in the future there might be a direct audio interface into the brain, not sure I'll see it in my lifetime though.

I'm sure there will be something else new (and less radical) coming up before then....

Edited by Phobic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2020 at 03:14, ProJules said:

Rig for the last few days...

CA86734A-8850-4E20-A068-94136ACBF13B.jpeg
 

Qobuz - Via Lightning DS iOS App - Auralic Aries G1 hardware streamer - usb A out - usb B into Mutec MC3+USB with Mutec SF10 Se120 master clock (attached via Mutec BNC cable).. (MC3+USB Set to ext clock and to reclock the usb input) AES/EBU output to AES/EBU input on Grace M903

sounds “magical”

Sorry, I'm late catching up on this thread, trying to get to the end before commenting, but this is the essence of my interest

How magical?

On another forum the owner spends his life serially discovering hyperbolic improvements from spending huge sums on both mainstream components and foo.  24 bits are hopelessly inadequate for measuring the precision of these hyperbolic leaps in sound quality.

I don't touch my hi-fi often but recently made some changes and am disappointed with my digital system. I am waiting for a modern DAC I have bought on eBay to arrive. It might get here before I get to the end of this thread.

How big is the difference over a competent ordinary implementation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2020 at 13:48, savvypaul said:

Jimi died without being proscribed technical advice from Tuga...

...he never knew what it meant to really live.

It's a very sad story.

I am feeling left out of a competition I can normally win hands down - thread drift.

So I'd just like to point out, that I only recently learned through Facebook that my first girlfriends Dad - Peter Neal, made the Hendrix film  .  I knew he was a film maker, but Sarah didn't mention this film.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
14 hours ago, Pinkie said:

Sorry, I'm late catching up on this thread, trying to get to the end before commenting, but this is the essence of my interest

How magical?

On another forum the owner spends his life serially discovering hyperbolic improvements from spending huge sums on both mainstream components and foo.  24 bits are hopelessly inadequate for measuring the precision of these hyperbolic leaps in sound quality.

I don't touch my hi-fi often but recently made some changes and am disappointed with my digital system. I am waiting for a modern DAC I have bought on eBay to arrive. It might get here before I get to the end of this thread.

How big is the difference over a competent ordinary implementation?

I suspect a new thread of your own might generate more interest than this lengthy old thing...where you can tell us about your old system, what you changed, your incoming modern DAC...

If you do that, drop a link in here. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I suspect a new thread of your own might generate more interest than this lengthy old thing...where you can tell us about your old system, what you changed, your incoming modern DAC...

If you do that, drop a link in here. 👍

Sadly I already have one, not quite as long but fairly rambling. I'll stick a brief post on that about last night and wait for my benchmark to show up. I am wondering about moussaka on my vinyl set up, as tuga would call it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2021 at 07:23, Pinkie said:

How magical?

Realistically, it won't help if he says "very" or "slightly" because his idea of "magical" is likely not to be the same as yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tuga said:

Realistically, it won't help if he says "very" or "slightly" because his idea of "magical" is likely not to be the same as yours.

Sure.  The Benchmark will tell me much more when it turns up.  But "magical" tells me nothing either.  And begs the question "how poor was the unmagical kit before"?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

Sure.  The Benchmark will tell me much more when it turns up.  But "magical" tells me nothing either.  And begs the question "how poor was the unmagical kit before"?

I think that the Benchmark will actually make some difference from the PT you are currently using, a bit like washing a dirty window. Your power amp and speakers are very "accurate-sounding" too so you may end up wanting for a bit of euphony. Do start a topic on this and keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tuga said:

I think that the Benchmark will actually make some difference from the PT you are currently using, a bit like washing a dirty window.

Do you know the PT?

32 minutes ago, tuga said:

 Your power amp and speakers are very "accurate-sounding" too so you may end up wanting for a bit of euphony.

The preamp is by the same designer as the power amp, although it didn't have a specific design objective of achieving noise and distortion levels equivalent to the best modern DAC's.  I found it quite "Valvey" the first time I heard it, and the AHB2 I could also describe in that way.  Are you saying I need to find some Moussaka? I have a record player...

36 minutes ago, tuga said:

Do start a topic on this and keep us posted.

I did ("Whats happened to my CD's")- its a bit rambling , but I'll post further there.  I'd be interested in your thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.