tuga

Affordable high-performance horn speakers?

Recommended Posts

For those interested in why speakers sound the way they do and speaker directivity in particular here's an interesting video on the subject:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for all the insight Tuga.

I think it's an interesting topic, I've pondered dabbling in wood working before so think this could be an interesting side project rather than as a way to replace my current setup.

I'm also conscious that my personal experience with certain types of hifi technology is pretty limited. I've never owned a value amp for example.

think it would be fun to have a different type of system in my study, maybe a self build would be an interesting project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

I see Phil (HifiNut) is paying this thread some attention and so it occurred to me to ask myself the question 'how would we define the Impulse H1 and H2?' (Phil owns one or other of these and I have long been following these models round the forums and on Ebay since the famous Jimmy Hughes review in Hifi Answers magazine.)

Come on Tuga - these have to be included in our thread as legitimate horn speakers or we will have no readership..!

Jack

I've changed the title of the topic and added a note to the first post.

Any speaker that uses horns to cover mids and treble is technically a horn speaker.

But as I've mentioned one needs 3-way 3-horn to adequately cover that range.

The 3-way 2-horn + bass bin Avantgarde Uno series perfectly illustrates my point, here the XD (crossover frequencies: 300Hz, 2kHz):

KJiojyb.jpg

.

Yiiwuf4.jpg

.

uAMo7Qi.png

Edited by tuga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be starting to learn a thing or 2.

the axis response graphs before and graphs above look pretty good to my newbie eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tuga said:

Most of of their designs are rubbish. The timber workmanship looks top class though.

.

If you can't get a 4- or 5-way horn then it's not a horn and it's not worth it performance wise.

A woofer in a box with a horn in front of a tweeter isn't a "real" horn.

Maybe the Berlin R doesn’t fit your criteria but it certainly floats Bobs boat👌
 

6744933-B-6-E4-E-480-A-BC04-F649-FBD7482

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Low performance horn deleted so as not to offend OP 🙄

Edited by fled
Wrong place
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shout out for the Oris Onken hybrid horns.

With regret i have recently sold mine (in fact they are being collected today), in the interests of matrimonial harmony due to the fact that my wife can't stand the look of them.

110 bd efficient, lovely on very good recordings and certain types of music, but a magnifying glass on the source.

I suspect i will re-visit horns again, but with something more 'acceptable'. ¬¬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic was started as an offshoot of @Phobic's own Design the perfect WAM speaker.

And in that context, high-performance horn speakers, any speaker that isn't at least 3-way 3-horn does not fit the requirements.

It doesn't mean that there aren't any reasonably good 3-way 2-horn speakers.

If you're interested, why not start another thread focusing on those more common, more affordable, more domestically-acceptable speakers?

.

Filling this particular topic with those "simpler" horn speakers is a bit like talking about single-driver speakers or 2-way standmounts in the topic Design the perfect WAM speaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem hell bent on destroying what was becoming an interesting and  wideranging thread. It was going like a rocket this morning and attracting all the right people. Then I have to diffuse a row between you and Lindsay which was totally unnecessary.

And to cap it all you are inviting the rest of us to sling our hooks if we dont see horns the way you do.

Fair enough.

Jack

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

You seem hell bent on destroying what was becoming an interesting and  wideranging thread. It was going like a rocket this morning and attracting all the right people. Then I have to diffuse a row between you and Lindsay which was totally unnecessary.

And to cap it all you are inviting the rest of us to sling our hooks if we dont see horns the way you do.

Fair enough.

Jack

I'm sorry to disappoint you but this wasn't supposed to be a wideranging thread about horns.

Anything that is not high-performance or if you disagree with that classification (I know that you don't)  or doesn't meet the criteria is off topic.

Let's start a topic about horns in general and we will all be happy.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

I see Phil (HifiNut) is paying this thread some attention and so it occurred to me to ask myself the question 'how would we define the Impulse H1 and H2?' (Phil owns one or other of these and I have long been following these models round the forums and on Ebay since the famous Jimmy Hughes review in Hifi Answers magazine.)

Come on Tuga - these have to be included in our thread as legitimate horn speakers or we will have no readership..!

Jack

Thanks Jack,  I was wondering where the impulse taus came in ! Hopefully you can hear them one day . Some years ago Mark on here used to make horns and I heard them with a shindo power amp. The sense of presence was unforgettable. 

The taus are fairly close and I am sure with an even better valve amp than the humble ss amp I am using would sound even more stunning  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oris Onkens horns - now i've worked out how to resize...

orisonken.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tuga said:

For those interested in why speakers sound the way they do and speaker directivity in particular here's an interesting video on the subject:

I've not seen this youtube channel before, think they covered the topic very well, was a lot easier the grinding through the written articles on the subject that I've read. I'll have to check out more of their videos.

Interesting to hear about horns using diffraction causing a typical honkiness and that there are solutions to fix it. Is this still a common issue in some of the lovely horns that have been commented on here? 

for those who've not watched the video his call out was that even where the on axis response looks good this can still be an issue.

Edited by Phobic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phobic said:

Interesting to hear about horns using diffraction causing a typical honkiness and that there are solutions to fix it. Is this still a common issue in some of the lovely horns that have been commented on here?

Have a look at Le Cléac'h's ETF2010 measurements mentioned here.

The following plots show two issues, diffraction (mouth flare / termination) and wave expansion distortion (horn profile) of Conical vs Le Cléac'h:

uOlxowe.jpg5VWSMSR.jpg

Edited by tuga
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tuga said:

Have a look at Le Cléac'h's ETF2010 measurements mentioned here.

The following plots show two issues, diffraction (mouth flare / termination) and wave expansion distortion (horn profile) of Conical vs Le Cléac'h:

uOlxowe.jpg5VWSMSR.jpg

thanks, I read through the paper and can better understand the reflected, diffracted and high order mode issues. so managing the honkiness it just a case of correct horn design/shape to better manage the diffraction issue. The Le Cléac'h almost eliminates it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.