Spaghetti

Leem

Ha - been there done that so many times and it always ends up a rat's nest!  Somehow wires just tangle themselves up when hidden out of sight :).  I just live with it these days...

Just now, dannybgoode said:

Ha - been there done that so many times and it always ends up a rat's nest!  Somehow wires just tangle themselves up when hidden out of sight :).  I just live with it these days...

You must ja5ve a more forgiving wife than I do.

I can spend what I like on hifi and music, but heaven forbid if the wires are untidy 🤣

1 minute ago, Leem said:

You must ja5ve a more forgiving wife than I do.

I can spend what I like on hifi and music, but heaven forbid if the wires are untidy 🤣

I am lucky enough to have my own hifi room which she rarely enters :)

Just now, dannybgoode said:

I am lucky enough to have my own hifi room which she rarely enters :)

I think Angela goes in just to check!

Althoigh today she went in to hold a ladder whilst I climbed on a very high roof, so I think the mess distracted her from her panic that I would fall off (it's a family trait!!)

1 hour ago, Leem said:

.....Has anyone ever had a hallelujah moment and come up with a decent solution?

1 hour ago, 2010*zuma said:

Solution = Go minimalist

31 minutes ago, tuga said:

Many speaker manufacturers are now selling all-in-one actives. Hallelujah! :minikev:

I’ve just made such a move, on my lounge system.

It’s very liberating to remove almost all of the power leads and interconnect cables from the equation and the removal of the speaker cables has not only reduced the visible clutter (despite best efforts to keep them tidy), but has fully satisfied the WAF. My minimum configuration now involves one box and it’s single power chord. The speaker’s power chords are discretely hidden and routed to nearby power sockets. Fantastic sound quality as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leem said:

Just spent an hour tidying up and untangling all my power and signal cables. Looks as bad as before I started!

Funnily enough I had to do this this evening as had contractors in running non hifi cables through my listening room, the words spaghetti and junction got mentioned today by people not used to seeing such things, and I only have one source and one amp, speaker cables, interconnects and an ethernet cable. Just looks a lot as all crammed in the corner behind the wooden trunk the gear sits on. Lots of different colours too including silver and blue grey and green :D

plan out what you're going to do 1st.

if you don't mind how it looks tapping cables to the floor and cable ties on racks to keep them in place once you've sorted it helps.

where you can try to keep power down 1 side and analogue down the other.

you can use spacers as well to keep cables apart.

I've found it's worth the effort, it's just keeping it in place which is a PITA.

power amps on board my speakers is soooooo nice. it's the way forward, no problems with cable management anymore, very minimalist and clean looking

Edited by Phobic

5 hours ago, Leem said:

Has anyone ever had a hallelujah moment and come up with a decent solution?

Actually, I think having your cables look like spaghetti would be a hallelujah moment for those believe in Pastafarianism.  Yep, those who believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  I suppose you're using cable lifters if your spaghetti cables are 'flying'.  xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster by Bobby Henderson
  • Haha 1

No More Nails does the trick for me 😁9F5CBDAB-C97A-4C5B-A8A3-5F5DA8B96EDC.thumb.jpeg.c76e0c5fbd73f195c41ac4bfd7c2d796.jpeg

• Like 1

The answer is to cut your interconnects and mains leads down to the size needed .. of course if you have spent a lot of money on them that may not be a desired action (as you will undoubtedly want to change them at some point and then resale becomes devalued).  I have to say I keep intending to do this and may actually get around to it one day .. but there again

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 1

Best solution maybe is to switch from a dozen separates boxes to 2. 

Why do we need separate servers, streamers, CD players, rippers, DACs, preamps, mono power amps, plus all that vinyl stuff?  I was guilty until I relised the value of the cables I was using and the fact that the cable that improves sound hasn't been invented yet and never will be - even the megabucks interconnect degrades sound.  Solution - put everything (as far as possible and realistic) in a single box that does loads of jobs as competantly as the pile of separates.  Now I have a pair of £32K speakers fed by a single all-in-one box most of the time (streamer, DAC, phono stage, preamp, power amp, headphone amp and Dirac room correction),  plus a source box (CD player, ripper, music store, server).  2 boxes that do everything digital and no snake-pit of cables.  Bliss!

• Like 1

I think it's a similar symptom of when you coil your coax signal leads neatly in your gig box - and then find them all tangled next time you open the lid. I usually keep those wire-inside-a-plastic-strip things you get when you buy new electronic stuff and keep them for securing coiled coax leads in my gig box. I also use them for keeping interconnects and mains leads tidy because the same thing happens at the back of my HiFi as happens inside my gig box. There was a good supplier of interconnects on Amazon that would do you 0,25m 0,5m 0.75m 1m etc interconnects and I bought a lot of stuff from them, but lately they seem to have dropped the 0,25m length from the product range. However the better matched the length of the interconnect is to where it has to go the less hassle you will get unravelling it from all the others.

6 minutes ago, hearhere said:

Why do we need separate servers, streamers, CD players, rippers, DACs, preamps, mono power amps, plus all that vinyl stuff?  I was guilty until I relised the value of the cables I was using and the fact that the cable that improves sound hasn't been invented yet and never will be - even the megabucks interconnect degrades sound.  Solution - put everything (as far as possible and realistic) in a single box that does loads of jobs as competantly as the pile of separates.  Now I have a pair of £32K speakers fed by a single all-in-one box most of the time (streamer, DAC, phono stage, preamp, power amp, headphone amp and Dirac room correction),  plus a source box (CD player, ripper, music store, server).  2 boxes that do everything digital and no snake-pit of cables.  Bliss!

Nah - have the gear you want to listen to, just manage the interconnects properly!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hearhere said:

The only thing I have extra over you is an amp and the disc spinner.

I'm not chucking away my class A loveliness and the disc spinner is there anyway as I still have a lot of dvds and don't want to fill up my NAS or spend the rest of my life ripping them.

Still got too many wires thoigh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

I think it's a similar symptom of when you coil your coax signal leads neatly in your gig box - and then find them all tangled next time you open the lid. I usually keep those wire-inside-a-plastic-strip things you get when you buy new electronic stuff and keep them for securing coiled coax leads in my gig box. I also use them for keeping interconnects and mains leads tidy because the same thing happens at the back of my HiFi as happens inside my gig box. There was a good supplier of interconnects on Amazon that would do you 0,25m 0,5m 0.75m 1m etc interconnects and I bought a lot of stuff from them, but lately they seem to have dropped the 0,25m length from the product range. However the better matched the length of the interconnect is to where it has to go the less hassle you will get unravelling it from all the others.

I think shorter interconnects are coming. 

And a reroute of my power onto a fixed power strip on the back of the unit, and shorter power cables. 

Even my speaker cables upset my ocd,  but can't do much about them