Leem

Spaghetti

12 hours ago, Leem said:

The only thing I have extra over you is an amp and the disc spinner.

I'm not chucking away my class A loveliness and the disc spinner is there anyway as I still have a lot of dvds and don't want to fill up my NAS or spend the rest of my life ripping them.

Still got too many wires thoigh

I will admit to having Class A mono SETs but I don't normally have them wired in.  In the past (but only in my present hiome) I've been concious of these amps being a bit noisier than I remember in my London flat.  I blame a nearby TV and router, so I'll try them again soon to see if they qieten down if located close to their speakers.  It won't help with the spaghetti problem though!

8 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

You know how these things run... you show me your's and I'll show you... :sofa:

that's how ended up with kids

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Phobic said:

Here's behind my amp and speaker, at 1st glance it looks a bit of a mess because I'm between hifi stands at the moment.

however all the speaker & data networking on the top is separate from the power at the bottom. I've got cables crossing but not crossing power, in fact the main cable in the middle is optical.

Also don't forgot the cables work in 3 dimensions. Where you do need to cross power yes do it at right angles, but don't forget you can put the cable higher up as well :)

image.thumb.png.13de5e463fd4ed3b258855066d5310af.png

Where is the mess, you must have really tidied up there.

Super Wammer

The only cables you can see ..

everything runs in channels at the back of the unit ..utilising intelligence with correct lengths of cables (It doesn’t matter if a cable needs to be longer than a direct route). so that signal cables rarely come into contact with power cables reduces interference considerably and hence a very low noise floor ...

kindest regards Julian

image.jpg

I got fed up with loads of black cables so I order some white tubing off ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conduit-Split-Black-White-Flexible-Cable-Tidy-Tube-Trunking-easy-use/392167716935?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For about £20, enough for all my cables, looks a lot neater now.

Clean and tidy... you could eat you dinner off that floor 😇

2 hours ago, Cityfan2 said:

Good morning everyone,

I’m feeling a need to tidy my cables most of which are longer than necessary. To tidy these it would be necessary to coil them to some degree. I’d be grateful if someone with more knowledge of electronics and electricity than me, i.e. everyone, could advise me of any potential issues that this may cause. I will have to coil not only interconnects but also power cables so any advice on both of these would be very welcome. 

Regards

better to have cables at the right length if you can and avoid coiling.

2 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Where is the mess, you must have really tidied up there.

this is a mess!

1 other thing, you can over think this, I'm much more relaxed about this than I used to be.

as an experiment grab a power cable and run it parallel to and touching your speaker or I/C cable and see if you can hear a difference. Then do the same thing with the power at right angles, then make sure they don't touch and are at least 10 cm apart.

what differences do you hear?

let that guide your cable management :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phobic said:

better to have cables at the right length if you can and avoid coiling.

this is a mess!

Ha, on the British Standard Mess scale that is barely a 1. I have graduated to a Leve 4.8 but others are up to a 7. It is a log scale of course.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Phobic said:

1 other thing, you can over think this, I'm much more relaxed about this than I used to be.

as an experiment grab a power cable and run it parallel to and touching your speaker or I/C cable and see if you can hear a difference. Then do the same thing with the power at right angles, then make sure they don't touch and are at least 10 cm apart.

Great advice. I just wanted to ask: what do you hear when you actually put them side by side worst case scenario.

4 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Great advice. I just wanted to ask: what do you hear when you actually put them side by side worst case scenario.

the classic thing people say is that the sound is muddier and it reduces clarity

Edited by Phobic

6 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Ha, on the British Standard Mess scale that is barely a 1. I have graduated to a Leve 4.8 but others are up to a 7. It is a log scale of course.

Goodness - throw a few logs in and you will have a real mess :shock:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Phobic said:

This is, of course, an argument for the "rat's nest" cable management approach being optimal. A least, that's my excuse.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

This is, of course, an argument for the "rat's nest" cable management approach being optimal. A least, that's my excuse.

Rats are not keen on Spaghetti - as their Pasta of choice (to argue over), is Black Ravioli. :geek:

• Haha 1