Leem

Spaghetti

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, StingRay said:

HiFi systems common in the 70/80s not so much now. Very few people I know have a HiFi system.

I referred to allinone systems. Today an Alexa speaker or Sonos speaker would be considered to be an allinone ie source amp and speaker. 

5 minutes ago, DomT said:

You are of course right but the same allinone products that people want now existed in the 70s and 80s and companies like Linn were completely against these products yet now they embrace them. I don’t have any statistics but am wondering if the percentage of people who buy separates has changed in the past 40 years. As more people are anti-spaghetti maybe there are fewer separate systems being sold. #saveourspaghetti 

I thnk that separates hi-fi systems have long lost their appeal to the masses (turn of the century perhaps).

Everyone I know uses either a bluetooth speaker or sometimes a wireless soundbar under the TV.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DomT said:

I referred to allinone systems. Today an Alexa speaker or Sonos speaker would be considered to be an allinone ie source amp and speaker. 

Oh allinones, no not many in the 70s, everyone I knew had a proper Turntable amp and speakers, how times have changed. I don't consider All in Ones, HiFi.

12 minutes ago, DomT said:

You are of course right but the same allinone products that people want now existed in the 70s and 80s and companies like Linn were completely against these products yet now they embrace them. I don’t have any statistics but am wondering if the percentage of people who buy separates has changed in the past 40 years. As more people are anti-spaghetti maybe there are fewer separate systems being sold. #saveourspaghetti 

Although home theater receivers are probably not as popular as they were a decade ago thanks to the allure (and WAF) of soundbars, I'll say that home theater receivers are still somewhat popular in the US.  If you think 'spaghetti' is bad with a 2 channel setup, just imagine what it would be like with something like an Atmos setup!  :o

Of course, this probably explains the allure (and WAF) of soundbars.  ;)

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
Just now, StingRay said:

Oh allinones, no not many in the 70s, everyone I knew had a proper Turntable amp and speakers, how times have changed. I don't consider All in Ones, HiFi.

My parents had an allinone in the 70s as did everyone else we knew.

Today Naim, Musical Fidelity etc make allinones but of course you may not consider them hifi but I do (but I wouldn’t buy one)

14 minutes ago, DomT said:

Genelec make some of the best performing speakers and they are all-in-ones.

The Dutch & Dutch 8c, the Kii Three, the Grimm LS1 and the Bang and Olufsen Beolab 90 are also stellar performers, and the latter is not a product aimed at the pro sector.

It is possible nowadays to make very good all-in-ones.

Edited by tuga
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Klassik said:

Although home theater receivers are probably not as popular as they were a decade ago thanks to the allure (and WAF) of soundbars, I'll say that home theater receivers are still somewhat popular in the US.  If you think 'spaghetti' is bad with a 2 channel setup, just imagine what it would be like with something like an Atmos setup!  :o

Of course, this probably explains the allure (and WAF) of soundbars.  ;)

Actually, thanks to HDMI and ARC channels, it doesn't have to be like that. Our AV setup has a 4K TV, processor and bluray. Two front speakers, two atmos, one centre, two rears and a sub. There are of course a fair few speaker cables, but the signal wiring is ethernet to TV and processor, HDMI from TV to processor and TV to bluray and that's it apart from three power cables. Way fewer cables that my audio, even if I stripped out all the non-essentials.

• Like 1

Audio and HT hobbyiests are all gearheads and we don't really care about the pile of boxes or the large speakers in the sitting room.

"Normal" people think we're nuts. :fly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

It may not be obvious at first glance, but there’s method in this madness.  And a bit of dust, I see!

EFAED89C-6BDC-45BF-AB9C-2D339EBAD21A.thumb.jpeg.497a6c2b652bf6eb9739f4c494753aed.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rabski said:

Actually, thanks to HDMI and ARC channels, it doesn't have to be like that. Our AV setup has a 4K TV, processor and bluray. Two front speakers, two atmos, one centre, two rears and a sub. There are of course a fair few speaker cables, but the signal wiring is ethernet to TV and processor, HDMI from TV to processor and TV to bluray and that's it apart from three power cables. Way fewer cables that my audio, even if I stripped out all the non-essentials.

Yes, that's true, but I was mostly thinking about all the speaker cables.  Plus, for a lot of people with AV receivers, their video setup is also their audio setup so all the usual audio sources would be added to that including possibly AM and FM antennae since they are receivers.  :o  In addition to the 'spaghetti' of cables, there is often the associated barrel of remotes which goes with such setups if someone does not have a universal remote.  :o

All that said, I've seen serious home theater setups done by professionals which look neater than the cable routing behind my microwave oven and that only has the power cable.  xD

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

It may not be obvious at first glance, but there’s method in this madness.  And a bit of dust, I see!

EFAED89C-6BDC-45BF-AB9C-2D339EBAD21A.thumb.jpeg.497a6c2b652bf6eb9739f4c494753aed.jpeg

can immediately see what you're doing, pretty tidy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StingRay said:

Wheres all the cables?

Why do you need so many sockets?

Looks a bit dodgy to me.

29 and counting 😴... 

... 😃

Edited by 2010*zuma

46 minutes ago, Ceko said:

E5AFE4FE-7F1D-48F6-B5DD-92C7CDA7AC42.thumb.jpeg.e35b336efca089f3d075aae495518ea7.jpeg

Loving the Velcro :-) 

Flippin hate Spaghetti.

ahah I was wondering what you were doing with the velcro, great idea. I used cable ties but they're not as nice or practical

Edited by Phobic