Hi to the Collective,

Bit of an obscure question. Does anyone know what the crossover frequencies or response curves are for Keltiks. A friend has just bought a pair and wants to experiment with a variable external crossover. So looking for a good starting point. Disclaimer - I know nothing of electronic design but he does....

Thanks

On 27/10/2020 at 13:48, entdgc said:

Hi to the Collective,

Bit of an obscure question. Does anyone know what the crossover frequencies or response curves are for Keltiks. A friend has just bought a pair and wants to experiment with a variable external crossover. So looking for a good starting point. Disclaimer - I know nothing of electronic design but he does....

Thanks

I'm sure about one thing (after my dealer used his Keltik's for the Katalyst upgrade event): The best external Xover for a Keltik is an Exaktbox. Unfortunately, it appears like your friend runs his Keltik's passive. That's a long way to go from there. But a very scenic one ;-)

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Keltiks are Aktiv only. So there is no running them passive. Being four way speakers, I would think the Akurate Exaktbox -I would be the easiest, and rather cost effective way of having them make sound that resembles music.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

I’ve never seen any figures for the Keltik crossovers, but given the similarities to the original Isobarik, you could always start with the Isobarik’s Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Isobarik

This shows crossovers at 375Hz and 3kHz.

’troll

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Keltik Exakt crossover points:

Bass to mid is 118Hz (seems unlikely, but true)

Mid to Treble is 2400Hz

• Like 2

16 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Keltiks are Aktiv only. So there is no running them passive. Being four way speakers, I would think the Akurate Exaktbox -I would be the easiest, and rather cost effective way of having them make sound that resembles music.

I learned someting today 🙏

• Like 1

Thanks to all who answered the original question. I have passed on the information to my friend as a starting point. We were both very surprised at the information in @sunbeamgls post - it seems the mid does a lot of work on the Keltiks! We will see how these values work out in practice.

Thanks again.

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, entdgc said:

Thanks to all who answered the original question. I have passed on the information to my friend as a starting point. We were both very surprised at the information in @sunbeamgls post - it seems the mid does a lot of work on the Keltiks! We will see how these values work out in practice.

Thanks again.

Me too. But remember in the Kaber that driver is mid-bass.

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Me too. But remember in the Kaber that driver is mid-bass.

The midrange driver (SPKR 007/6) and bass driver (SPKR 007/2MS) for the Kabers had the same size, but different membrane and elektromagnets.