Ceko

iPhone/iPad as streaming device? Or is Node/Lumin better?

Recommended Posts

I have a brand new Node 2i right here. Used it for a couple of hours but the BlueOS isn't my cup of tea at all. So I'm considering returning it and using an old iPhone (or maybe a new iPad) as a streaming device. I mainly use Spotify but I also have a NAS that I want to use. My idea was to use my own phone as a "remote" for the phone/pad hooked up to the stereo.

I know Spotify works like a charm, but is there software available to stream files from NAS? I was looking for your user experiences about this. Is the quality good? At least it can run off battery so there's no groundloop problems :D I'm a bit sceptical about one streamer streaming the bits better than the other, but I can be convinced of course :) Other option would be a Lumin but that's a bit expensive at the moment... and probably too much for what I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

What is it you don't like about BluOS? 

It runs Internet Radio, Spotify, Tidal, etc + run a library of music on your NAS & include album art, it will also build temporary libraries from any usb music source (usb stick, iPod) 

So it seems to me it does what you want by being a GUI and remote control via phone, tablet, and PC. It's also probably more intuitive to use than most free, music apps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ceko said:

I have a brand new Node 2i right here. Used it for a couple of hours but the BlueOS isn't my cup of tea at all. So I'm considering returning it and using an old iPhone (or maybe a new iPad) as a streaming device. I mainly use Spotify but I also have a NAS that I want to use. My idea was to use my own phone as a "remote" for the phone/pad hooked up to the stereo.

I know Spotify works like a charm, but is there software available to stream files from NAS? I was looking for your user experiences about this. Is the quality good? At least it can run off battery so there's no groundloop problems :D I'm a bit sceptical about one streamer streaming the bits better than the other, but I can be convinced of course :) Other option would be a Lumin but that's a bit expensive at the moment... and probably too much for what I need.

Iam different from every one here, in that, I didn't hear a difference between my Yamaha wxc50,  or a lumin T1 or a roon rig with a dedicated metrum ambre roon endpoint. All feeding via coax to the same dac. 

Maybe the dac is not resolving enough, or my system . But I'd rather blame my ears :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the BluOs works ok, could be better but it works fine. 

How are you streaming from your iPad? 

I have used Bluethooth and it was awful. 

You can streamer from a NAS via the Node or use USB sticks which is what I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StingRay said:

For me the BluOs works ok, could be better but it works fine. 

How are you streaming from your iPad? 

I have used Bluethooth and it was awful. 

You can streamer from a NAS via the Node or use USB sticks which is what I do.

Streaming from iPad? I’d just plug the iPad into the usb input of the DAC. No Bluetooth involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Streaming from iPad? I’d just plug the iPad into the usb input of the DAC. No Bluetooth involved.

I see, a bit inconvenient, I would rather control everything from my listening position. So you are relying on WiFi?

What do you not like about the BluOs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceko said:

I have a brand new Node 2i right here. Used it for a couple of hours but the BlueOS isn't my cup of tea at all. So I'm considering returning it and using an old iPhone (or maybe a new iPad) as a streaming device. I mainly use Spotify but I also have a NAS that I want to use. My idea was to use my own phone as a "remote" for the phone/pad hooked up to the stereo.

I know Spotify works like a charm, but is there software available to stream files from NAS? I was looking for your user experiences about this. Is the quality good? At least it can run off battery so there's no groundloop problems :D I'm a bit sceptical about one streamer streaming the bits better than the other, but I can be convinced of course :) Other option would be a Lumin but that's a bit expensive at the moment... and probably too much for what I need.

Do you already have these items (I guess you have the old iPhone, which iOS, by the way).

I don't know of any software to fit your user case but that does not mean that it does not exist.

A raspberry pi 4b running Logitechmediaserver (on piCorePlayer OS) would fulfil your requirement and connect to the DX3Pro via usb. an Iphone/iPad could then be used as a controller. This is a system I use.

Set up is only a little geeky but plenty of help is available here and other forums (especially the slimdevices forum).

Hope this is useful information:)

groetjes

ronnie, who used to live outside of Dordrecht  whilst working for a company in Spikecity.

I think you might already know about LMS :oops:

Edited by Man in a van

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be of interest.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ronnie 

Great to hear from someone close by :-) 
 

Yes I do have an old iPhone 6s I believe. Not sure what iOS is on there but that’s easily updatable right?

@StingRay you can play Spotify on one device. Say the iPhone that’s connected to the amp, and control it with an other device. It’s really convenient, I’m with you on controlling things from the listening position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

What is it you don't like about BluOS? 

It runs Internet Radio, Spotify, Tidal, etc + run a library of music on your NAS & include album art, it will also build temporary libraries from any usb music source (usb stick, iPod) 

So it seems to me it does what you want by being a GUI and remote control via phone, tablet, and PC. It's also probably more intuitive to use than most free, music apps. 

I had the impression that it was sitting between Spotify and the host somehow. Sometimes I couldn’t click on songs in Spotify all of a sudden. For example I was playing music at home, went for a walk with headphones on and I had to restart Spotify to choose anything at all. Never experienced that before.

Before BluOS I had Heos which I liked better. And Volumio too. Matter of taste too perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ceko said:

I had the impression that it was sitting between Spotify and the host somehow. Sometimes I couldn’t click on songs in Spotify all of a sudden. For example I was playing music at home, went for a walk with headphones on and I had to restart Spotify to choose anything at all. Never experienced that before.

Before BluOS I had Heos which I liked better. And Volumio too. Matter of taste too perhaps.

Why are you using BluOS if you are going for a walk? I can see why that does not work.

its seems looking at the Darko video that you can do via an iPad and using a phone for control.

with my WiFi this would not be reliable enough for streaming HiRez, it may work with Spotify but I use Qobuz And Tidal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No when I’m going for a walk I don’t use blueos of course. At home I did this: start Spotify app on phone. Choose Node 2 as the player. So the node starts playing with Spotify Connect. Still blueos seems to register something or tries to get a grip on that stream, I’m not sure. Then I go outside, try to play music but since I’m not on my WiFi anymore I have problems playing music. Of course restarting the app isn’t all that hard to do but it’s annoying nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ceko said:

I have a brand new Node 2i right here. Used it for a couple of hours but the BlueOS isn't my cup of tea at all. So I'm considering returning it and using an old iPhone (or maybe a new iPad) as a streaming device. I mainly use Spotify but I also have a NAS that I want to use. My idea was to use my own phone as a "remote" for the phone/pad hooked up to the stereo.

I know Spotify works like a charm, but is there software available to stream files from NAS? I was looking for your user experiences about this. Is the quality good? At least it can run off battery so there's no groundloop problems :D I'm a bit sceptical about one streamer streaming the bits better than the other, but I can be convinced of course :) Other option would be a Lumin but that's a bit expensive at the moment... and probably too much for what I need.

I was recently reading the highly respected Rob Watts (designer of Chord Electronics dacs) blog about this very thing. He view is that an iPhone or iPad is about as good as a streaming/playback device can get. Why? Because it's battery powered and low energy makes it a low noise device, and as you say no ground loops.

I've used a battery powered fanless MacBook for years. I playback bit perfect audio CD rips (Apple Lossless, 16 bit 44.1kHz) using Apple Music and couldn't be happier. I control the playback using my Apple watch or iPhone (Apple Remote app).

Some recommend put device into airplane mode to disable cellular/wifi/bluetooth etc.

Here's what Mr Watts said:

"Your phone is the best source you can get technically if you have bit perfect data using the phones local memory (micro SD or on device); it's best as it is very low power, and battery operated, so no RF currents can circulate into the DAC ground plane and then cause noise floor modulation. So use your phone as a reference and select a streamer that comes close or identical to that SQ would be my advice. My guess is that would happen with a good bit perfect streamer with optical outputs - if 192k is your max file sample rate. As you suggest, make sure it is not upsampled or modified data."

See https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-131#post-15874191

Edited by halloweenman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

I was recently reading the highly respected Rob Watts (designer of Chord Electronics dacs) blog about this very thing. He view is that an iPhone or iPad is about as good as a streaming/playback device can get. Why? Because it's battery powered and low energy makes it a low noise device, and as you say no ground loops.

I've used a battery powered fanless MacBook for years. I playback bit perfect audio CD rips (Apple Lossless, 16 bit 44.1kHz) using Apple Music and couldn't be happier. I control the playback using my Apple watch or iPhone (Apple Remote app).

Some recommend put device into airplane mode to disable cellular/wifi/bluetooth etc.

Here's what Mr Watts said:

"Your phone is the best source you can get technically if you have bit perfect data using the phones local memory (micro SD or on device); it's best as it is very low power, and battery operated, so no RF currents can circulate into the DAC ground plane and then cause noise floor modulation. So use your phone as a reference and select a streamer that comes close or identical to that SQ would be my advice. My guess is that would happen with a good bit perfect streamer with optical outputs - if 192k is your max file sample rate. As you suggest, make sure it is not upsampled or modified data."

See https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-131#post-15874191

That’s another issue, my iPad won’t  last more than about 2 hours if streaming music without it being plugged into the mains, not sure if that effects the sound or not.

Edited by StingRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.