Ceko

iPhone/iPad as streaming device? Or is Node/Lumin better?

5 minutes ago, StingRay said:

That’s another issue, my iPad won’t  last more than about 2 if streaming music without it being plugged into the mains, not sure if that effects the sound or not.

Well that's the downside of battery power. I tend to only listen for an hour or two but the laptop doesn't seem to use much power at all playing back music library from Apple Music - 4-6 hours from full charge.

To be honest I'm not sure I can tell the difference plugged in or not.

Edited by halloweenman

23 minutes ago, Ceko said:

No when I’m going for a walk I don’t use blueos of course. At home I did this: start Spotify app on phone. Choose Node 2 as the player. So the node starts playing with Spotify Connect. Still blueos seems to register something or tries to get a grip on that stream, I’m not sure. Then I go outside, try to play music but since I’m not on my WiFi anymore I have problems playing music. Of course restarting the app isn’t all that hard to do but it’s annoying nonetheless.

Not sure if that’s the right way to do it, I use an iPad and just go Bluesound App and then choose which player I want, ie Spotify or Tidal and then play the music I choose. Going to the other way seems wrong. I would only use the Spotify app. If you are not using the Node.

6 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

Well that's the downside of battery power. I tend to only listen for an hour or two but the laptop doesn't seem to use much power at all playing back music library from Apple Music - 4-6 hours from full charge.

To be honest I'm not sure I can tell the difference plugged in or not.

It should have said 2 hours but I often play for 4 hours or so, charging up my iPad takes hours, I use during the day so it is often not fully charged by the evening. Anyway I would not use WiFi for streaming, can you connect the iPad with Ethernet cable?

59 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Hey Ronnie 

Great to hear from someone close by :-) 

Yes I do have an old iPhone 6s I believe. Not sure what iOS is on there but that’s easily updatable right?

Sorry If I have confused you but I'm now in England but did spend many years in Nederland :)

I have a 6S and it is running iOS 13.7 and iOS 14.1 is available.

LMS is LogitechMediaServer

I run it on a rpi4b and use anothe rpi as a player into the DX3Pro via usb. The pi can be both a server (LMS) and player (Squeezelite).

There are many plugins available, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify (no MQA available)

plugins.png

Using the Raspberry PI OS it is possible to make a Spotify Connect player (Premium user required) or just use the Desktop and playback from either LMS or web based players (the sound quality is pretty good)

user-case.png

Control on smartphone or tablet is available and a user has developed a skin called Material

thumbnail-23336.jpg

ronnie

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Ceko said:

For example I was playing music at home, went for a walk with headphones on and I had to restart Spotify to choose anything at all. Never experienced that before.

When you leave the house/use headphones you need to change the device Spotify is pointed at for replay. This option is bottom left of the Spotify screen. (photo 1) select your phone (photo 2) and you then have normal control of Spotify again without closing and reopening the app. 

Screenshot_20201027-195607.png

Screenshot_20201027-195201.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ceko said:

I had the impression that it was sitting between Spotify and the host somehow. Sometimes I couldn’t click on songs in Spotify all of a sudden. For example I was playing music at home, went for a walk with headphones on and I had to restart Spotify to choose anything at all. Never experienced that before.

Before BluOS I had Heos which I liked better. And Volumio too. Matter of taste too perhaps.

Hi Ceko.

That is exactly what it is doing, it is how Spotify Connect works. 

The music file is sent directly to the Node2i, it goes nowhere near the iPhone, which acts exactly like a remote control for the Node.

If you prefer, you can use the Spotify app (accessed directly not via Bluos) on your iPhone to play music in the normal way. It will default to onboard speakers or ear phones. Use the Airplay icon to send the signal to the Node, it will mute the iPhone. You need to make sure that the Node is receiving the music from the phone so the Airplay 'input' will need to be active, I think it will switch automatically but you need to check.

In that scenario your phone is the source playing to the Node over Airplay, use the phone for something else and you will lose the music, switch to earphones when you leave the house, it will do so on the fly.

To access your NAS search and play using the Bluos app. You need to be aware that you are using separate apps to access and play the music in different ways. Most people find that a chore and prefer to access everything via the Bluos app.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Hi Ceko.

That is exactly what it is doing, it is how Spotify Connect works. 

The music file is sent directly to the Node2i, it goes nowhere near the iPhone, which acts exactly like a remote control for the Node.

If you prefer, you can use the Spotify app (accessed directly not via Bluos) on your iPhone to play music in the normal way. It will default to onboard speakers or ear phones. Use the Airplay icon to send the signal to the Node, it will mute the iPhone. You need to make sure that the Node is receiving the music from the phone so the Airplay 'input' will need to be active, I think it will switch automatically but you need to check.

In that scenario your phone is the source playing to the Node over Airplay, use the phone for something else and you will lose the music, switch to earphones when you leave the house, it will do so on the fly.

To access your NAS search and play using the Bluos app. You need to be aware that you are using separate apps to access and play the music in different ways. Most people find that a chore and prefer to access everything via the Bluos app.

No it’s not. Spotify Connect the way I know it ( on Volumio and Heos) runs natively. On blueos it’s as if it takes control of Spotify Connect or something. Hard to explain as I’m not a native English speaker. Anyway, the node is sold already so that was that.

33 minutes ago, Ceko said:

No it’s not. Spotify Connect the way I know it ( on Volumio and Heos) runs natively. On blueos it’s as if it takes control of Spotify Connect or something. Hard to explain as I’m not a native English speaker. Anyway, the node is sold already so that was that.

Sorry but what I said is exactly how it works. Possibly a language issue but if the Node is gone, it doesn't matter.

Good luck.

Super Wammer

Yes, whatever the issue was, there was definitely a misunderstanding about how the Node 2i does and should work.