The Marlin

What’s a good used CD Transport?

I really like my cheap used Demon 2900 which I used with a Topping D50. I only use it as a transport, don’t bother with analogue out (other than for SACD, and only have a few of those). 

I know I get her a better sound, what do you recommend?  Not looking for top end silly money units, more something that sounds great, but cam be picked up for reasonable money on the used market?

Any recommendation for a bargain Hunter?

4 minutes ago, The Marlin said:

What’s a good used CD Transport?

One whose laser mechanism is still available.

Perhaps go for one of the overengineered flagship models of the usual Japanese manufacturers, resonace control and PSU issues have been dealt with in style, and large sales numbers mean you can often find a sold-for-parts item in case you need to cannibalise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Any suggestion? 
ive had a lot of flagship Marantz years back, and they never lived up to the hype, but never used them with a DAC. 

I’m upgrading to a Topping D90 MQA, so thought I’d upgrade the CD player at the same time. 

or is the Denon 2900 as a transport good enough?

19 minutes ago, The Marlin said:

I really like my cheap used Demon 2900 which I used with a Topping D50. I only use it as a transport, don’t bother with analogue out (other than for SACD, and only have a few of those). 

I know I get her a better sound, what do you recommend?  Not looking for top end silly money units, more something that sounds great, but cam be picked up for reasonable money on the used market?

Any recommendation for a bargain Hunter?

I'm not sure how many there are around s/h or ex demo, but the cheaper Pro-Ject toploader (CD Box RS) is excellent if you can get past the slightly cartoonish graphics.

https://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_cd_transports.html

I've experimented a great deal in this area - the Denon you have is excellent, the older flagship Pioneer machines are superb and can be had for what amounts to the cost of a decent round these days... My personal fave is the Toshiba SD900e, which fetch a bit more, but are fabulous things

26 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

I've experimented a great deal in this area - the Denon you have is excellent, the older flagship Pioneer machines are superb and can be had for what amounts to the cost of a decent round these days... My personal fave is the Toshiba SD900e, which fetch a bit more, but are fabulous things

Thanks a bunch.  
many models of pioneer I should look out for?

All the best

Marlin

Marantz Dv7001, does SACD also. Nice stand alone player to boot. 

2 minutes ago, The Marlin said:

Thanks a bunch.  
many models of pioneer I should look out for?

All the best

Marlin

The ancient DV-717 is excellent if cheap enough - my brother is still using mine - I paid £40 about 12 years ago and it still works perfectly. The DV-989 is possibly a better bet - I paid £90, but they do fetch a little more. The Arcam FMJ DV 29 is also a cracker, but I stand by the Toshiba as the best universal machine I tried - MH

42 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

My personal fave is the Toshiba SD900e, which fetch a bit more, but are fabulous things

Does this model of Toshiba DVD player also play CD-Rs?  I have a higher end Toshiba DVD player from 1999, which was made for Mitsubishi, and it does not seem to work with CD-Rs at all.  I'm not entirely sure if it would have worked with CD-Rs when it was newer, but some evidence online indicated that it probably doesn't support CD-R at all.  The SD900 is a little newer so maybe they added CD-R support, but I don't know.

I used to have a Pioneer DV-989.  Excellent piece of kit: played everything except Blu-Ray and built like a tank.  The built-in DAC wasn't brilliant with SACD, but as a CD transport it was as good as anything else.

49 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Does this model of Toshiba DVD player also play CD-Rs?  I have a higher end Toshiba DVD player from 1999, which was made for Mitsubishi, and it does not seem to work with CD-Rs at all.  I'm not entirely sure if it would have worked with CD-Rs when it was newer, but some evidence online indicated that it probably doesn't support CD-R at all.  The SD900 is a little newer so maybe they added CD-R support, but I don't know.

CD-R, absolutely - I have lots and it never missed a beat - less certain about CD-RW, which seem to be more problematic, especially as they age

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the suggestions. 

I’m also building a Hifi for my daughter and one for my best bud, so may get a few. 

8 minutes ago, The Marlin said:

I’m also building a Hifi for my daughter

If she doesn't have or intends to have a CD or LP collection then get her a Naim MUSO, a Dynaudio Music 5 or something similar, perhaps a pair of Kef LSX Wireless speakers if she's willing to accomodate a pair of boxes.

Hi-fi separates are for nerds who hand around in the Wam...

I’ve got most of her stiff. 
modded Nad 533 with modded RB250, and upgrade platter.  Nagaoka cart. 

She’s got an NVA p50SA passive Pre amp, and NVA A40 power amp. 
Stands and speakers stands by Attacama, and Tannoy Reveal passive monitors. 

Streaming from Spotify to Chrome Audio into a Topping D30. 

ive for got a pile of about 100 LP’s for her, and similar number of CD’s. 

Ive currently got a Yamaha CD player for her, but hate it. So will give her my Denon 2900, amd I’ll get a new/used CD transport for me. 

She wanted a proper Hifi.  she’s a complete music nerd like myself. 

Edited by The Marlin
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tuga said:

Hi-fi separates are for nerds who hand around in the Wam...

I suspect most homes already have a component which is capable of playing CDs in the form of a DVD/Blu-Ray player or maybe even a game console.  It might not be an ideal way to play CDs depending on how people want to interact with the player.  I, for example, want a front panel display on the player with track and time information on it at all times.  I also want at least basic transport buttons on the machine itself so I don't have to use a remote.

I would probably not recommend the outboard DAC route for simple CD playing unless someone is rather familiar with what they are doing.  It might work in many situations, but I have some CDs with pre-emphasis and many outboard DACs will not handle these properly.  Some DACs in CD players, usually spendy ones, don't handle pre-emphasis correctly.  :o