newlash09

What about our love and sweat when we are gone

This question has been lingering for some time now. But after getting into vinyl. And the expense and effort of getting LP'S. The question seems to be bothering more than ever.

My daughter doesn't seem to be faintly interested in hifi. So I will consider myself lucky if i have a son-in-law, who can appreciate the kit and the blood and sweat that has gone into getting it. But even if that fails. Then what next :)

• Like 1

I was lucky to inherit my father's music collection and Hi-Fi equipment decades ago, some of which I still have, but I suspect this is what will become of my CD collection when I'm gone.  :(

CD`s Thrown Away In Garbage Dump Piles Stock Photo - Image ...

cd-waste.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Maybe I can donate them to an Indian rickshaw driver for something like this.  xD

Life on the streets of Dhaka | Our Meanderings

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buying your own music collection and system to play it on in the hope that it will be appreciated by posterity seems a rather strange idea to me. 

Let others make and enjoy their own choices, while you make and enjoy your own. 

Or so it seems to me. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 4

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

This question has been lingering for some time now. But after getting into vinyl. And the expense and effort of getting LP'S. The question seems to be bothering more than ever.

My daughter doesn't seem to be faintly interested in hifi. So I will consider myself lucky if i have a son-in-law, who can appreciate the kit and the blood and sweat that has gone into getting it. But even if that fails. Then what next :)

Bruce Willis was trying to argue for ages with Apple that his digital purchase la could be passed to his family but this is not the case. 

Min the case of vinyl at least you have the freedom to make provision in your will to people in your life who may cherish these. And if not then they will have some good value and the money might be appreciated. Another reason why LPs make more sense than digital. 

• Like 2

All my CD's are ripped and now reside in the loft they have zero sentimentality to me I don't care what happens to them or the FLACs , I take reasonable care of my vinyl collection but there is nothing of collectable interest or excessive value , I clean them and play them I don't fret over the condition , I have some special silver discs , SACDs , Blurays , DVD-A s that I take great care of but there are not that many . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Buying your own music collection in the hope that it will be appreciated by posterity seems a rather strange idea to me. 

Let others make and enjoy their own choices, while you make and enjoy your own. 

Or so it seems to me. 

People put a lot of effort into their music collections and I can see why people would want their collections to go to someone who would appreciate it.  It might be family, but it could be to any random music lover or maybe an institution who still wants physical media collections (those are probably becoming more rare though and the ones who want physical media collections probably already have a lot of stuff).

We have a chain of new/used media stores in town who buys old CDs, records, tapes, and so forth.  There have been times I've gone to these stores and have seen CD after CD of things which are unusual and really interesting.  Usually there is a common theme to the music.  I assume that people have sold their collections to the media store, or maybe someone sold some deceased person's collection, and it is then available for someone to purchase.  That might not be a bad way to go to try to get your collection in the hands of someone who cares.  You just have to make sure the party handling your estate knows where to sell/donate it. 

I will say that when I initially inherited my father's music collection, there were large parts of it that I wasn't that interested in.  I knew that I would probably eventually become interested in it and that indeed did happen some years later.  I'm glad I held on to those albums.

Edited by Klassik
  • Like 2

Nobody I know closely is interested in my kit, and only one in my records, and he's s old as I am.
1. It's not my problem, bit like the house, it's an asset with value so fill yer boots you fortunates who inherit.
2. Why does my sweat and tears matter to anyone else? It's work done, let it go since its gone already. How much do you (honestly) consider your grandparents effort?
3. It's only a bloody stereo.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Probably go to someone that won't appreciate it and my current kit doesn't look particularly special or expensive e.g Klimax Renew so will probably end up being given away / thrown out... but you never know, could end up with a grateful recipient. If I end up in a care home I don't imagine I'll be taking it with me anyway :|

It was a sobering thought, as I sifted through an LP collection in the back of a car outside the pub (the collection had been the property of the car owner's late father), that one day someone would be doing the same to my LP & CD collection. That's assuming they've got the gear to play it on. I know I won't be around to care what happens to it, and I know I can't take it with me, but I'd still like someone to respect it somehow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

I know I won't be around to care what happens to it, and I know I can't take it with me, but I'd still like someone to respect it somehow.

It's not so much a matter of respect with me, but it would be nice if someone who could/would enjoy the record collection gets it versus it just ending up in the landfill.  Whatever happens to it, ole' Klassik won't be around to like or dislike the situation.  xD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have told my Mrs that a lot of the vinyl is worth something and it is to go to a sales house in a vinyl sale most likely 1818 part of the company I work for.

https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/departments/vinyl-and-memorabilia/

She'll get late mates rates:D for a collection sale.

She also has a rough idea how much things were.

Super Wammer

All I know is when I am gone I will not give a toss what happens to my record collection, cd collection etc.   My lad will want the LPs as it happens (the daughters are not keen on vinyl) and he has said he wants the hifi system (and my girls will probably concede that to him as well). 
Now being a Christian who believes if i am lucky enough to make it to heaven - then hopefully I will get to hear the perfect hifi system but it may just be some of the greatest musicians ever putting on concerts all the time - with the perfect PA system.  

Now get a grip and stop all this bloody morbid thinking about what happens when we snuff it .. and get back to arguing (oops discussing) about cables and active versus passive and Flac versus CD and what a difference a cable riser makes ... on second thoughts that is kind of a morbid thought too isn't it?

Guys isn't this the concept behind drawing up a will.... having your say what goes where, who to, when and why etc ...

... shudder to think my closest kin having any idea what i payed for my hifi or what to do with it.. and don't even mention the absurd cost of the cables... I have a cousin who likes music and nice things so he is having the lot next in line his brother! 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

Guys isn't this the concept behind drawing up a will.... having your say what goes where, who to, when and why etc ...

The will is the easy part.  Figuring out who actually wants hundreds of classical music CDs and so forth is not so easy.  :S

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

It is. I'm in the process of sorting a will out.

There is only one person I can think of who'd appreciate the kit and, especially, the vinyl and CD's. He may take some persuading, but hopefully not much.

Certainly don't want it going to the family who wouldn't appreciate any of it.

Hence the will.

• Like 1