2010*zuma

Are Audiophiles Crazy?...

Super Dealer
14 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I read somewhere the definition of an audiophile is someone who keeps changing their hifi and only listens to the same 10 or 15 albums to see if it sounds better.

Not sure if it was tongue in cheek, but it made me look at myself in a new light. I've tried to listen to at least 20 albums since emoji23.png

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Among my audio clients there's definitely two groups: those who care about sound more than anything and those who fall into the group of listening to a few albums and always looking for something better (different.......). Then overlay brand-will you ever accept an unknown brand or does it have to be something well-known?-and you further add to the matrix. 

I must be too easy going because I can equally enjoy an NOS Dac and an over-sampling one and an amp with feedback and one without. But output stages and amplification must be valve in my case:D Part of the joy of my role is being able to listen to a lot of very decent equipment so what I end up with has been compared to the best.

As has been said above, at the end of the day many folk have expensive hobbies ranging from expensive cars, rifles, fishing rods to lovers: it's you choice!

2 hours ago, The Marlin said:

It’s about the music, and squeezing every drop out of it. 
it’s a passion. 

Might be more about holding onto something you still have control of?  When you approach being sixty ones perspectives change somewhat! In my humble opinion..

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Might be more about holding onto something you still have control of?  When you approach being sixty ones perspectives change somewhat! In my humble opinion..

Am not approaching sixty, still in early fifties, but I would say ease of use, no maintenance, smaller kit and less clutter are definitely much more important than previously.

Maybe by audiophile definitions I have just declared myself insane!!

• Like 1

I was big into Hifi in the 1990’s, then marriage and kids  and house moving gets in the way. 
kids have all left now, so music has centre stage again. 
i don’t like TV much, always prefer listening to music.  Even my wife appreciates the upgrades, she’s can heart the difference, though is much less important to her. 

I’m also a guitar player, so have lots of guitars and guitar amps dotted around the house, have six guitars on the wall of my home office. 

So the clutter doesn’t affect me. Have a dedicated listening room. 

I don’t care about brands, I believe half the Hifi stuff in the market is massively over priced, and often nothing but snake oil. 

i like to get the best results i can for the least money.  I like the challenge. 

• Like 2

Are we crazy????

No, but it helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

It all depends if you are in it for the fun or if it's an unhealthy and emotionally upsetting obsession. 

Personally, I enjoy the boxswapping. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. 

It is fun to evaluate and see how things are and how they sound and to file them away in the memory.  However, when you get to a certain level of stuff the intrigue is less .. perhaps it is just me that likes shows where you can get to see and hear a load of stuff albeit in not ideal conditions.   

What I can tell you is when you get to your late 60s the thought of wiring something out of the system and wiring something else in, makes you think twice "is this worth it," because from previous experience and due to building a system you love the sound of you know invariably it is going to be just OK (similar or the same level of enjoyment) or Not OK and rarely a "Wow" - and so I consider all these things before doing it (having also been on the receiving end of RCA plugs being so tight as demolish the socket they go in on an amp or preamp (I have to say that is why I wish designers would not mount them directly onto pcbs it makes changing them a pain in the ass).

I miss removable headshells on top arms - mounting cartridges is a pain in the ass and so I thank god I am still in love with Deccas and have no desire to be trying anything else (although at least my arm has a removable arm tube and i have a spare so that helps a tad).

I can understand the attraction "when i was younger so much younger than today" it was great fun to swap things with mates to get an idea of how they sounded and I was fortunate enough to have a great neighbour back in the days when I was working in the trade who lived three doors away from us (he was responsible for the Oak turntable and now is Acoustic Imagery doing class D amps and preamps) ..   Now it is about indulging the kids - it was fun building my daughters' systems and my lad wants to use mine all the time but when he finally gets his own house he will want me to help him build a system and I am looking forward to that.

The name of the game for me though is listening to music - and if I can sit back and just listen without the kit getting in the way (which is where I am now) then there is no need to box swap ... could it sound better?  invariably the answer is yes .. but the question for each of us is "does it need to be better" and perhaps it is age or just me .. I am at the stage where it doesn't need to sound better UNTIL i go to someone's house or a show where when I get back home I now find something lacking - fortunately that has not happened for a good long while now.

• Like 3

Buying lots of stuff for thousands of euros and regretting it immediately after? Feeling ashamed and stuff... Nooooo I'm not crazy :D

To be frank, I enjoy the audio stuff so much, I can call myself an audioholic at the moment I think. Sometimes I enjoy my system immensely but most of the time I seek where I can change things to make it sound better... or rather.. different. I fall in the second category of @Juancho I guess. 

Take an amplifier for example. It's actually a very dull object. But I'd loooove to have a couple of them (if they weren't so bloody expensive). Or maybe that's just part of the attraction.. I'm not sure.

Great topic again by the way. I don't always react to topics but this turned out to be my favorite audio forum because of these kinds of topics :) 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Crazy?

Yes.

Simples.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

I read somewhere the definition of an audiophile is someone who keeps changing their hifi and only listens to the same 10 or 15 albums to see if it sounds better.

That's a slightly more optimistic definition than the one I read, or maybe wrote ;), that an audiophile is someone who keeps changing their Hi-Fi and only listens to test tones...and the same Rush and Steely Dan albums.  :o  Klassik would rather hear the test tones.  :P

Are Audiophiles Crazy?

Sí, but the nature of the craziness seems to vary depending on which forum I'm on.  On many US-centric Hi-Fi forums I read, the readers are a little bit more into vintage equipment and media than currently available items.  Since a lot of vintage Hi-Fi can be purchased quite affordably from sources like thrift stores and online listings, there are some people who become obsessed with the chase for used equipment.  The related malady to this is the 'hoarding', for a lack of a better word, of gear.  I suppose I can be accused of the latter if anyone sees my collection of cassette decks and VCRs.  :/

The good news about those more vintage oriented forums, at least the ones I read, is that one won't find nearly as many threads about cables and cable accessories.  :^  They do exist, and they do become contentious at times, but sometimes days go by before a new one starts.  On these forums, for the most part, anyone bringing up some of the cables which are frequently mentioned here with any level of seriousness will be mocked and turned into the forum dunce.  :D  Usually the contentiousness is between those who think lamp cord or car jumper cables are the best kind of speaker wire one can use and those who think otherwise.  xD

Also, the people on these forums have probably never read ASR.  Why would they?  It isn't an issue until the stuff reviewed on that site ends up at the Goodwill or Salvation Army in about 20 years.  ;)

One thing which is common on all audio forums I read is that certain topics or items become trendy.  One person makes a post about having success with a particular item and then it seems half the forum ends up buying the same item.  Then, so many discussions become about that item.  It might not be one particular model of a product, but it could be about cables in general or whatever.  :S  Sometimes this isn't a bad thing, but it can make discussions rather one-dimensional at times. 

All this said, even ole' Klassik can be accused of mimicking this behavior.  The DCM speakers I purchased were the trendy speakers on a handful of US-centric forums I read some months ago.  The stuff written about them by both the 'objectivists' and 'subjectivists' were positive and the deep discount of them on closeout was too much for Klassik to pass up.  xD  Since ole' Klassik ended up buying the last pair of these speakers from the closeout dealer, I suppose the topic of these speakers is no longer trendy on the forums I read and they've probably moved on to something else.  Last I looked, at least one of those forums was having a circle jerk over the topic of Canton speakers.  At least those US 'audiophiles' aren't provincial.  xD

This is probably a point better made in @Phobic 's Lurkers thread, but sometimes these narrow fads and trends can be a turn-off for those who can't afford the trendy items desired by the forum.  I can tell you that the cable posts can be a turn-off for those who would rather discuss just about anything else.  xD  As you probably know, Klassik does not care if what Klassik want to discuss is a bit, or way, outside the usual conversations on a forum, but I can see how trying to fit into a seemingly rigid structure might be intimidating to others.  :|

Quite like Steely Dan. Can't stick Rush though; all that fake 'we're very serious artists'. I heard about them at school from a friend going on and on and on about them. I know it's matter of tastes, but finally hearing them was like wearing a dinner jacket to go out to dinner and finding out you were being taken to McDonalds.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Audiophilia is a disease

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

I know this certainly isn't the first time this question has been posed and I may have been been called out once or twice in a past life for just this..... 

... lately after spending more time than I usually have on here im just about thinking I'm about darn near sane😌

It's easier to spot madness in others...they make a good reflection of ourselves.

Have you watched this documentary before?

b2MgyzU.png

Edited by tuga

Is that why the Greek Economy went down the Tubes xD

• Haha 1