Phobic

cheap simple filtering

A question for the scientific mob.

I'd like to have a go at putting some filtering on my power amps and pre/digital source.

I've already got a cheap power strip with basic filtering however it's current limiting. Can anyone recommend something which isn't that's not stupid expensive please.

I'm going to give a try and see if there's any significant difference, if there's not it will get filled in the round filling cabinet in the corner of the room.

Edited by Phobic

I've used a Dynavox X7000 which I liked. At least it's a sturdy thing and it has markings so you can put every powercable in phase.

Your poweramp should not be filtered, but your digital sources should. The Dynavox has 6 ports of which 4 filtered.

It's around 180 euros.... not sure if that's what you're looking for?

There's also the Vincent which I find much prettier, but it's more expensive and it has only 2 filtered ports and 4 unfiltered...

Edited by Ceko

a] why do you think that you need AC mains filtering?

I've already got a cheap power strip with basic filtering however it's current limiting.

b] cheap power strips seldom have real filtering (filters are large and not cheap). It probably just has surge suppression.

c) the only way it limits current is by tripping it's breaker.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ceko said:

I've used a Dynavox X7000 which I liked. At least it's a sturdy thing and it has markings so you can put every powercable in phase.

Your poweramp should not be filtered, but your digital sources should. The Dynavox has 6 ports of which 4 filtered.

It's around 180 euros.... not sure if that's what you're looking for?

There's also the Vincent which I find much prettier, but it's more expensive and it has only 2 filtered ports and 4 unfiltered...

looking for something cheaper to be honest, it's more an experiment at this stage than anything, I quite possibly won't keep it in the system.

1 hour ago, terrycym said:

would rather not swap out the IEC connect in the power amps, not even certain I could if I wanted to

44 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

a] why do you think that you need AC mains filtering?

I've already got a cheap power strip with basic filtering however it's current limiting.

b] cheap power strips seldom have real filtering (filters are large and not cheap). It probably just has surge suppression.

c) the only way it limits current is by tripping it's breaker.

I don't know if I need it :)

I would like to test if it makes any difference - it's cheaper than buying a test device to see how dirty my mains is....

my cheap strip does have filtering.

I think it's current limiting because the speaker is quieter when I plug it into the strip - I have combo speaker and power amps.

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Is it one of the Tacima/Lindy ones? This sort of thing:

Tacima-CS947-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner-Pur

yeah something like that. I think it might even be a Lindy one.

pretty basic, I can't even remember what filtering is has. suspect pretty crappy...

1 hour ago, Phobic said:

yeah something like that. I think it might even be a Lindy one.

pretty basic, I can't even remember what filtering is has. suspect pretty crappy...

I have one that I've had for ages and have my TV, PVRs etc plugged into it. 

You could connect your digital source to it no problem though as a test as this won't need any significant power/current. It would only be an amplifier where you could see a negative effect I'd have thought.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yes I've already tried it, the issue is I have my switch and few other things plugged into it which have quite dirty PSUs, you can hear it on the streamer. I can't move the switch at the moment, there's no other wall outlet to use.

If you want to experiment don't you have other mains blocks you could swap out the one with a filter for, and then use the filtered one for your streamer? Alternatively, it sounds like you've actually already proved that the filtering is beneficial as it is being currently being used by stopping noise from your network switch getting out. This is actually my logic for how I use mine although I've not tried A/B comparisons to assess this.

• Upvote 1

I've only got a single doubt socket so while I can put another block in, I'd have to put the power amp or source on the same block as the known dirty PSU.

Agree I've already proven it, what I'd like to figure out is how bad the rest of the supply is and if it's worth filtering the power amps as well.

fair point, but it's still only really going to allow me to test the streamer.

and when I say testing I don't mean a 5 min A-B, I'll like to run it for a week or so.

just need a couple of filtered power strips which aren't current limiting...

Edited by Phobic