peter the butcher

DAC advice sought... again

Recommended Posts

I mentioned the other day/week, I was getting an Audiolab M DAC+, but as there will be a few weeks until they are in the dealer I used, I have not made "concrete" plans on its purchase. Due to personal reasons I was going to pay cash for it, but am thinking of taking advantage of their 0% finance offer, so the budget has gone up to £1200 and no more. What else could I be looking at?
Thanks people, stay safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me I'd be looking at this, for half the price of the Audiolab

LAKE PEOPLE DAC RS-06

https://www.headfonia.com/review-lake-people-dac-rs-06-stripped/

RS-06-1.jpg

Edited by Rayymondo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer
19 minutes ago, peter the butcher said:

What else could I be looking at?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer
1 hour ago, peter the butcher said:

I mentioned the other day/week, I was getting an Audiolab M DAC+, but as there will be a few weeks until they are in the dealer I used, I have not made "concrete" plans on its purchase. Due to personal reasons I was going to pay cash for it, but am thinking of taking advantage of their 0% finance offer, so the budget has gone up to £1200 and no more. What else could I be looking at?
Thanks people, stay safe

Check out ASR’s ( audio science review) list of dac’s and their measurements, choose the features you require, you can purchase a ‘state of the art’ dac which in terms of sound quality will be as good as anything ,as anything at any price for a few hundred pounds.

Keith

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....or maybe listen to a few and let your ears decide 😁😁😁

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

.....or maybe listen to a few and let your ears decide 😁😁😁

I've binned my ears, as their decisions have cost me too much money over the years.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benchmark DAC second hand. Professional studio gear and as good as it gets.

As Keith said, you don’t have to spend anywhere near four figures. I’ve heard the likes of Kondo, DCS, Nagra, Weiss,  etc... and the difference is so marginal and more a case of which flavour you like. Save the money and spend it on music instead that is well mastered. 

Edited by A.S.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer
1 minute ago, A.S. said:

Benchmark DAC second hand. Professional studio gear and as good as it gets. 

Well actually in terms of pure measurement you can ( get better) you won’t hear any difference of course!

BW Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Well actually in terms of pure measurement you can ( get better) you won’t hear any difference of course!

BW Keith

Affirmative. benchmark have good customer service and this is transparent gear but I agree with you - don’t need to spend more than a few hundred and a difference will be negligible to marginal. 

Edited by A.S.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I’ve ended up with Chord Qutest after finding that many DACs sound very similar in the short term but some can sound irritating in the long term when listening to music.

Long term I’ve found Benchmark, although technically fine, have me looking for a change, Meridian Explorer and Director are very listenable although only available secondhand with their current model iirc very expensive, and for a reasonable cheap alternative a Beresford is good for tiding one over. I also have DACs built into AVRs and miniDSP devices but for long term satisfaction I’ve found the Qutest by far the best for my ears.

Best advice is to try a few and for a decent amount of time. We all have our favourites and for different reasons, but if you listen with your eyes on measurement data there is a website which will cater, but if you listen with your ears you’ve come to right place! wherever you get your advice don’t forget to listen for yourself!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I've binned my ears, as their decisions have cost me too much money over the years.

The problem with DACs is - they all sound different but when you compare it to vinyl none of them sound right .. the thing to remember when you go to evaluate only take DDD cds or use streaming services of DDD material - anything that was AAD is compromised and ADD very likely compromised.

Dave Grusin Gershwin Collection is one of my test CDs (DDD and recorded virtually live to reduce mutltracking and digital loss on mixing multitracks down to 2).   Fish through your cd collection (or online) for the tracks you think will be good to use for a demo that are DDD .. I also uses the Shaw Singers Rachmaninoff Vespers from Telarc (DDD) and James Taylor October Road and Hourglass - Porcupine Tree In Abestentia,  and others ... 
Hope you find something that satisfies your needs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience a good way to audition a dac is to play a piano track. DACs with a  "digital" sound will be easy to spot on piano reproduction. The higher notes will have a tiresome hardness or glassy edge to them that is a dead giveaway.

That is my experience :)

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

In my experience a good way to audition a dac is to play a piano track. DACs with a  "digital" sound will be easy to spot on piano reproduction. The higher notes will have a tiresome hardness or glassy edge to them that is a dead giveaway.

That is my experience :)

Good advice although, of course, some like that hardness or glassy edge as it can sound very “hifi”. Personally I don’t like that edge as I like my recordings to remind me of the original instrument that the music is played on. Detail of music without added edge of hifi for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree and would include violin and their ilk as I know the tones they should have, but if the hardness is on the recording you won't hear past it whatever the kit. Those 3.No recordings are fabulous quality, worth a few of them for quality of sound, although even on mediocre kit they still sound fab.

I'm with Keith, Topping DACs are supposed to be fantastic, I haven't heard one, but what can be had in the hundreds of pounds is more than adequate in terms of SQ, we are lucky these days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Good advice although, of course, some like that hardness or glassy edge as it can sound very “hifi”. Personally I don’t like that edge as I like my recordings to remind me of the original instrument that the music is played on. Detail of music without added edge of hifi for me!

Who would like that !? It totally ruins the realism of the music. As the amp and speakers get better, that edge sounds even more pronounced, in my experience.

Maybe those for whom this trait isn't a problem can't hear it due poor quality components. Either that or they have cloth ears....:minikev:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.