Question for Hegel Owners......

HouseElf

1 hour ago, Tarzan said:

Why not?:pop::P

I started off thinking 'nice amp, a little bit bright'. 

But it had a strangely insistent slight brightness, and after a couple of weeks I literally couldn't bear to listen to it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

But it had a strangely insistent slight brightness, and after a couple of weeks I literally couldn't bear to listen to it. 

Do you think it was simply not adequate for your advanced and demanding speakers, whereas with a typical pair of box speakers it’d probably be quite at home?  If you’d had the H390 or 590 it might have been a different story, perhaps?

17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Do you think it was simply not adequate for your advanced and demanding speakers, whereas with a typical pair of box speakers it’d probably be quite at home?  If you’d had the H390 or 590 it might have been a different story, perhaps?

The MBLs aren't demanding, but they do provide a nicely open window. You'd be amazed at the variety of amps I've used happily with them! 

H390 and 590. Yes, that could well be a different story.  From reviews I've seen, Hegel amps seem to get less bright with each new generation. I think it was a Hifi Plus review (usually reliable, ime) that explicitly mentioned that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nopiano said:

But you’ve got foreign electricity.  We can’t get that here!!

I don't think Brexit starts no deal until Jan.1 .  "You have the time, we've got the beer."  (it's the words from an old American beer commercial) 

1 hour ago, JANDL100 said:

I certainly haven’t noticed anything like that from my H360 into my baby MBLs, in fact I prefer the Hegel into them rather than an MBL amp. I suspect the lower powered Hegel amp you were using just wasn’t up to the job and maybe the sound of it struggling wasn’t good whereas the sound of other low powered amps struggling may have been more to your taste; who knows?

One characteristic I did notice when I first plugged my Hegel in was a feeling of where has all the bass gone. It hadn’t gone anywhere, of course, but was just much better controlled, I think I was using Martin Logan’s when I first used the Hegel amp.

No, I didn't hear anything amiss tonally with your H360 in your system, Malcolm. I would have noticed the 'insistent brightness' thing straight away..... and run screaming from the room! It really did my head in with the H90. I grew to loathe it. 

Edited by JANDL100

Going off topic but still Hegel i did read somewhere that nordost blue heaven cables are a good match for them 💙

Edited by 2010*zuma

I've got an older H200, and I absolutely love it. Clear, controlled, transparent.

As to the transformer, there is a barely detectable hum if you are right by the unit, but the mains in my house is terrible.