Griff500

Closed Back Headphones

These will be used with the Chord TT2.

Having done some research I've found new Focal Elegia at £549, which seems like a good place to start.  Is there anything else I should consider around that price point (although I can be flexible with budget).

Regarding cable, any recommendations? I'll probably need something like 8 metres so I can comfortably run it around the room out of the way of feet or paws...

At that length you're best off going DIY but I'm pretty sure the cable will detract from the sound.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

You're well into electrostatic and planar magnetic price territory as well as conventional dynamic types, especially if you are prepared to buy used - much will depend on what sort of music you want to listen to.

E.g. stats can be superb with some genres but fail to deliver with others.

Edited by JANDL100

On 31/10/2020 at 11:18, Griff500 said:

These will be used with the Chord TT2.

Having done some research I've found new Focal Elegia at £549, which seems like a good place to start.  Is there anything else I should consider around that price point (although I can be flexible with budget).

Regarding cable, any recommendations? I'll probably need something like 8 metres so I can comfortably run it around the room out of the way of feet or paws...

I'd use a DIY Mogami 2354 cable with the jacket and shield stripped of to lose some weight and bulk and then cover in Paracord.

I don't know the affect an 8mtr cable would have on sound quality, but wouldn't have thought it would.

I can't recommend any closed back HP's as not tried any, but personally am a bit wary of Focal as I have heard of a number of people having problems with them regarding faults 

7 minutes ago, Bourneendboy said:

I'd use a DIY Mogami 2354 cable with the jacket and shield stripped of to lose some weight and bulk and then cover in Paracord.

I don't know the affect an 8mtr cable would have on sound quality, but wouldn't have thought it would.

I can't recommend any closed back HP's as not tried any, but personally am a bit wary of Focal as I have heard of a number of people having problems with them regarding faults 

Thanks.

I ended up going with some Focal Elegia in the end as they were £550 and seemed like a decent model to try. They are primarily for listening when I cannot have the speakers on as I haven't really used headphones much before. If I find that I use them quite a bit then I'll consider better ones. They seem fine so far but they are fresh out of the box and haven't been used a lot. I had not read any significant numbers of people having issues that would have meant they should be avoided.

I have 6m of cable being made by Custom Cans that should do the trick.

I use quite a few closed back headphones, some for work and some at home. Some of my favourites are Shure 1540 which are a bit cheaper than the Focal's and are my work references, and for home use MrSpeakers Aeon's which would have been around the same price, but have been replaced by Aeon 2's at £900 which I haven't heard yet. Another one to consider is Audeze LCDL closed back (there is an open back as well) at £700.  It took my quite a long time to choose between the MrSpeakers and the Audeze when they where similar prices, so with the current pricing I suspect I would have chosen the Audeze instead.

No idea's about cables as I make my own using Mogami.

Just for completeness I use a Woo Audio W7 headphone amplifier, which looks and sounds brillant.

• Like 1

Well below budget and probably not to everyone's tastes but I have a pair of Marshall Monitors, the cable version (I think the Bluetooth ones ave a very different fq response). Can't fault them, not the last word in soundstage but they rock and groove very nicely, both with headphone amps and straight out of an iPod touch. Had them five and a half years now, used frequently including during long walks and not a fault; had to change the pads the once.

On 07/11/2020 at 14:36, moo-fi said:

I use quite a few closed back headphones, some for work and some at home. Some of my favourites are Shure 1540 which are a bit cheaper than the Focal's and are my work references, and for home use MrSpeakers Aeon's which would have been around the same price, but have been replaced by Aeon 2's at £900 which I haven't heard yet. Another one to consider is Audeze LCDL closed back (there is an open back as well) at £700.  It took my quite a long time to choose between the MrSpeakers and the Audeze when they where similar prices, so with the current pricing I suspect I would have chosen the Audeze instead.

Just for completeness I use a Woo Audio W7 headphone amplifier, which looks and sounds brillant.

I was thinking about going for the Stellia based on what I've read. I'm working from home a lot and listening on headphones might happen more often than I anticipated.

Either that or keep the Elegia and get some open headphones like the Empyrean, although I'm not sure exactly how loud open headphones are for the people who are not listening...

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

I was thinking about going for the Stellia based on what I've read. I'm working from home a lot and listening on headphones might happen more often than I anticipated.

Either that or keep the Elegia and get some open headphones like the Empyrean, although I'm not sure exactly how loud open headphones are for the people who are not listening...

Most open back headphones do provide quite  bit of mid and upper frequency detail for those near by. Caveat: depending how loud you listen. Certainly I wouldn't wear them on the bus or when working with others.

10 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Most open back headphones do provide quite  bit of mid and upper frequency detail for those near by. Caveat: depending how loud you listen. Certainly I wouldn't wear them on the bus or when working with others.

They will be used at home. I'm usually up and working before she's awake when she is in the country and so it's nice to listen to music on headphones. There will also be times where she is in the room with me and I want to listen to music without disturbing her. The first scenario is probably going to be more often than the second.

So for the first scenario the question is whether open back would be loud enough to annoy someone in another room (let's assume that person might be quite easily annoyed when she puts her mind to it). xD

Would the Stellia be of sufficient quality that you wouldn't lose much by not having open back headphones.

Perhaps I only need closed back if the Stellia are that good. Alternatively, I try something like the Empyrean and have my Elegia for the time being. It would be a shame to get  good open back headphones and only be able to use them while I have the house to myself.

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

They will be used at home. I'm usually up and working before she's awake when she is in the country and so it's nice to listen to music on headphones. There will also be times where she is in the room with me and I want to listen to music without disturbing her. The first scenario is probably going to be more often than the second.

So for the first scenario the question is whether open back would be loud enough to annoy someone in another room (let's assume that person might be quite easily annoyed when she puts her mind to it). xD

Would the Stellia be of sufficient quality that you wouldn't lose much by not having open back headphones.

Perhaps I only need closed back if the Stellia are that good. Alternatively, I try something like the Empyrean and have my Elegia for the time being. It would be a shame to get  good open back headphones and only be able to use them while I have the house to myself.

Yes, much will depend on the other person who is around. My better half doesn't mind, perhaps I'm lucky there. If the person is in *another* room I'm certain you will be ok.

On quality I've not heard the headphones in question.  Broadly speaking I find open back have better separation and a bigger soundstage; depending on mood and type of music that can be a plus or a minus. For instance: I prefer jazz, lighter alt-country and acoustic on open back; for punk, rock and poor recordings *sometimes* the closed back are a better choice to my ears as the tighter more compact sound is more suitable.

There's no absolute right answer here.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 07/11/2020 at 14:36, moo-fi said:

Just to say that the Aeon 2s are stunning.  I had difficulty in deciding to go with the Meze Empyreans over these from a value for money perspective.  They are a bargain at the price point if you like that type of presentation.  They fold small as well.  If I used headphones more I would get a pair of these for going out and about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DomT said:

Just to say that the Aeon 2s are stunning.  I had difficulty in deciding to go with the Meze Empyreans over these from a value for money perspective.  They are a bargain at the price point if you like that type of presentation.  They fold small as well.  If I used headphones more I would get a pair of these for going out and about.

My headphone use will be home only and I am comfortable with the diminishing returns on investment. :doh:

The design is good on those, but I'm not sure they do much that my Elegia don't do.

Stellia are a possibility, or new ZMF Verite or used Empyrean.

I'm leaning toward the ZMF Verite and keeping the Elegia for the time being.

I've gone for the Focal Stellia for closed back and also got some ZMF Verite open back. Hopefully end game for headphones and system. xD

Too late!

Kennerton Gjallarhorns the current raves.

Supposedly better than other planars.

Better than Wharfedale Isodynamics?(Jerry's view) Who knows?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.