FS: Mordaunt Short Performance 880

Bigman80

Hi all,

Can't express how sad I am about this but you can't defy physics and I have had to accept defeat.... reluctantly.

The 880s are too big for my listening space and even though the Gaia feet and outriggers(4 days old) are totally responsible for making them listenable on some material, the other stuff I listen to is, well, unlistenable.

This is pretty much all you'll find on them online:

"These are the flagship speakers from Mordaunt Short, which is a highly regarded British speaker manufacturer. Top of the line speakers are all about high performance, and these speakers can run with the better speakers on the market. Stereophile gave these a Class B rating, and the other speakers within this class sold for thousands more than the 880's. The bang for the buck ratio on these were high when they were new, and on the used market that ratio just increases.

High end speaker performance is achieved by excellent drivers, a non resonant cabinet, and a properly designed crossover network. The engineers at Mordaunt Short dealt with each issue in an innovative manner.

The cabinets are a cast resin compound, which is acoustically dead as can be. No inferior MDF, or even Birch ply with these speakers. The cabinets also have non parallel sides and front plate, which breaks up standing waves inside the cabinet. They come with a piano black gloss finish. These are very heavy speakers, weighing in at 80 lbs (30kgs) apiece.

The drivers are custom built units, which are the best available from Mordaunt Short. A pair of 8 inch bass drivers in a vented bass-alignment, which extends down to 28 hertz. The midrange is a 4 inch driver with phase plug(very unusual for this time period) and it is housed in a dedicated isolation chamber, which eliminates driver interaction. The tweeter is a 1" metal dome, that is detailed, smooth and easy on the ears. With a rated frequency response of 28 hertz to 28 K, and 90 DB efficiency, the Performance 880 are truly full range speakers.

The crossover on the midrange and treble drivers is a 6 db per octave slope. The cabinet face is sloped, and this is a time aligned design. The woofers use steeper slopes in order to control their output. There are three pairs of binding posts per speaker for tri-amping"

These are by far the best speakers I have personally heard and I can't think of a single negative to say about them.

They are in really good condition, but are not mint....being 30 years old.

I will not ship these speakers. They are irreplaceable and there is no way you could repair the cabinets IF they got damaged. I also have no packing materials that approach the level of importance these speakers hold.

90% of marks visible in the pics are actually reflections...one would need to see them in person as the finish is exceptional.

I have the grills but they need recovering.

Collection from Wolverhampton only.....100% firm.

Speakers only:

£1200

Gaia II feet and outriggers are No longer available

242dea6cf16bb394db77f18065014b78.jpg3549d0dc736797b1af4222ed28639b7e.jpgccdf8bd973b410b7eff9aa74e117ee56.jpgda5de1b41cb89220833153833f4a7e25.jpgc4a8f8303f93d0190542f23dc16bfb27.jpg88a5f10ffd6c4e0c31597b5ec3601e2e.jpg65be2140b0ee09937641b22b3882d6e6.jpgb8316a5add4bc1d85b0c5e3bd92e01f1.jpg3c07ce480959589f4c0fa3adc844b1b1.jpg

Edited by Bigman80

Seems to be an issue with some of your photos
I have redone them, thanks for that
  • Like 1

PM sent.

PM sent.
Replied

Nooooooo. 

What a shame, Oli. :(

• Like 1

Lovely speaks ......Lovely gaia feet ....they do work ...I know I have some.

• Like 1

Nooooooo. 
What a shame, Oli.
Yes. I'm devastated Jerry.....

One little wire out of place, which I have corrected and my system has become unlistenable in my room.

I've not played a single track since 11:00 yesterday, which is unheard of in my house.

I won't be listening until I sort out some new speakers either.

Totally gutted

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bigman80 said:

One little wire out of place, which I have corrected and my system has become unlistenable in my room.

I've not played a single track since 11:00 yesterday, which is unheard of in my house.

I won't be listening until I sort out some new speakers either.

Totally gutted

What's the issue? Any chance it could be resolved with EQ of some form?

9 minutes ago, Bigman80 said:

Totally gutted

I don't even begin to understand that. 

As per MartinC, what's happened? 

• Sad 1

@MartinC @JANDL100

Ok, so utter transparency.......

The Neurochrome 686 has been used for 90% of my time with the speakers, and a fleeting dabble with Primaluna Prologue 5 amp accounts for the other 10%

The 686 amplifier has stunned everyone that heard it in my system. In fact, of the 15 or so audiophiles and proffessional dealers that came and heard it, i know of 10 who went away and bought one for themselves. So imagine my horror when 1 of those guys loaned it from me and then told me there was something not quite right with the amplifier. He had just bought some speakers (large) and wanted to try the mighty 686 in his system. I obliged and loaned it to him. 

We investigated everything we could think of but he still couldnt get it to sound "right"

It came back and i traced all the wiring in the amplifer and there it was....one channel was out of phase. When things are out of phase you often get a reduction in the LF. Well in my small room it hadnt been noticeable, but the image stability was so bad in my friends large room that he knew instantly. It's not something that you would hear in my room as its very narrow. 

I reverted the amplifer back to correct phase, plugged it in at the same volume as always and shit myself as the floorboards (chipboard) literally started vibrating and booming.

The exact same issue i had found i was getting at higher volume with the Prologue 5. I had blamed that on being a valve amplifier and not having the grip of the 686. I was wrong, it was because it was in phase and not suffering the loss of LF.

This has now rendered the speakeres totally unusable in my room. Yes, i could eq, yes i could cut the LF with a filter in the preamp, yes i could solve it, but i would be handcuffing them and to be honest they are such awesome speakers that i feel i would be degrading them by doing so. 

I can get away with them on some material. For instance the Verve pressing of "Ella and Louis" brought emotion to a friend who came to help me try and tame them with isolation bars of various flavours, but put something on with a bit of clout and you are submegred in bass from my excitable floor. 

Thing is, when i bought them i knew they shouldnt work and forever pondered why they did and others havent. You just dont know what you dont know. 

The speakers arent bass monsters or anything like that, they are just big floorstanders with a very clean and even hand from 28hz upwards. Its just my room. I had boom from some mission 710's before now. It all made sense once i'd discovered ithe wiring issue. 

Put the amp back out of phase and return to happiness? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JANDL100 said:

Put the amp back out of phase and return to happiness? 

tried it, but i could then hear the image was no longer stable. If i could go back in time and return to ignorance, i would!

• Sad 1