Paulssurround

Would You Trade-Up Your Akubariks For Klimax 350’s?

Just now, Moomintroll said:

As an owner of 350s in Exakt Katalyst guise, I wouldn’t recommend changing your Akubariks. Not that I don’t think the 350s are a better speaker, but you’ve just achieved a balanced system and I really think you’d miss not having Katalyst on the main stereo pair.

I also agree with others that “source first” would bring bigger gains to the whole system.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

regards, ‘troll

Wise words indeed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

My Linn system is not compromised at all.

‘My Akubariks sound incredible and are well complemented by my Akudoriks in a surround setup. 😊

From Linn docs on Akubarik set up:

Very carefully (do not scratch the cabinet), use a spirit level to check if it is sitting level. If it is, gently rock the loudspeaker from front to back, side to side and diagonally to check for any movement. If none is present and the loudspeaker is sitting level, no adjustment to the spikes is necessary.

If the loudspeaker is not level, or moves when you rock it, loosen the appropriate lock nuts using the tool provided and use a screwdriver to turn the spikes to adjust their height. Adjust the spikes to level the speaker, using a spirit level placed on the stand.

Press down firmly on the top of the loudspeaker to ensure it is in close contact with your flooring.

Use the spirit level as before and continue to adjust the spikes as required.

Linn are very clear that the Akubariks need to be rock steady. Yours aren't. This is the compromise I was referring to. In my experience, wobbly speakers aren't tuneful.

• Upvote 1

Hi Paul

stay with Akubariks... a KSH might be a good move, a LP 12 can burn a lot of money, but that could be enormous fun !-) and needs a lot of space for records in the future

IF you want better speakers, go for a search... I mean komri! you can stay with them even after the announced lottery win, huh? I know, I know... used speakers for lots of money, but they are still the best linn speaker so far imo

OR go in a laid back position and have fun with your linn stuff, as already mentioned

K from HB

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kampak said:

Hi Paul

stay with Akubariks... a KSH might be a good move, a LP 12 can burn a lot of money, but that could be enormous fun !-) and needs a lot of space for records in the future

IF you want better speakers, go for a search... I mean komri! you can stay with them even after the announced lottery win, huh? I know, I know... used speakers for lots of money, but they are still the best linn speaker so far imo

OR go in a laid back position and have fun with your linn stuff, as already mentioned

K from HB

Thanks Kampak,

‘Great advise. Your system must be sounding incredible with all the changes you have made in the last couple of years.

I am enjoying the music immensely.‘

Still waiting for that lottery win......

Super Wammer
36 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

From Linn docs on Akubarik set up:

Very carefully (do not scratch the cabinet), use a spirit level to check if it is sitting level. If it is, gently rock the loudspeaker from front to back, side to side and diagonally to check for any movement. If none is present and the loudspeaker is sitting level, no adjustment to the spikes is necessary.

If the loudspeaker is not level, or moves when you rock it, loosen the appropriate lock nuts using the tool provided and use a screwdriver to turn the spikes to adjust their height. Adjust the spikes to level the speaker, using a spirit level placed on the stand.

Press down firmly on the top of the loudspeaker to ensure it is in close contact with your flooring.

Use the spirit level as before and continue to adjust the spikes as required.

Linn are very clear that the Akubariks need to be rock steady. Yours aren't. This is the compromise I was referring to. In my experience, wobbly speakers aren't tuneful.

it sounds counter intuitive but the platforms make my speakers more stable, they stop my floor from vibrating as much, and remove floor resonance as well, this reduces movement in the speaker cabinet.

these platforms are much stiffer that you might realise.

https://bestspeakerstand.com/speaker-coupling/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phobic said:

Is stiffer a positive attribute?

Super Wammer

Edited by Phobic

@Paulssurround I thought you had a Klimax hub. Well I swapped the Akurate Hub for the Klimax Hub. Unfortunately I have to say that from then on the experience of music starts. Borrow one of the most important things to do is to set any adjustments you may need to make to the Akurate Hub in SO2 to default.

Edited by Johannes
  • Like 1

I owned passive (with four Solos) 350 for six months and replaced them with the Komris.

I‘ve several Linn-friends with aktive 350 and only one is/was happy with them. My (!) view is, that the 350 isn‘t able to handle the energy it produce. And the issue with Exakt 350 and different amplifier levels (now fixed?) was unable for me to enjoy music.

To understand my 350 rating (and no, it‘s not bashing) I like Kabers (aktiv with Klouts) and 212/242 (passiv with Solos) and of course my Komris.

@ Paul: stay with your system and enjoy.

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

In my experience, wobbly speakers aren't tuneful.

The placement instructions for Linn's loudspeakers will fit in most situations, but there are exceptions. Since I do many home installations for my local Linn dealer, I can report a customer with an Espek-Akurate-Exakt (Kat.) system. When I visited him to install a new Krystal system in his LP12, I saw that he did not use Linn skeets on his wooden floor (real wood floor without undercoat) for the Espeks, but instead pucks with a string technology. So the speakers were not "rock steady".

Since I always have a set of Linn Skeets with me during customer visits, I wanted to show him that it will sound even better with the Skeets. When the Krystal was installed and the adjustment was finished a, I confidently placed the skeets under the speakers and adjusted all the spikes very precisely. Then came the moment of surprise: the sound became much worse with all sources (LP12, streamer, TV)! Even further adjustment did not bring any improvement. Everything sounded somewhat strained! The musicality was gone. The interaction of HiFi rack, wooden floor and loudspeakers had gone out of balance. 

In this case the string pucks (also finely adjusted in height) brought a much better solution. The apparently wobbly positioning of the loudspeakers produced a very tuneful result.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Peter_P said:

The placement instructions for Linn's loudspeakers will fit in most situations, but there are exceptions. Since I do many home installations for my local Linn dealer, I can report a customer with an Espek-Akurate-Exakt (Kat.) system. When I visited him to install a new Krystal system in his LP12, I saw that he did not use Linn skeets on his wooden floor (real wood floor without undercoat) for the Espeks, but instead pucks with a string technology. So the speakers were not "rock steady".

Since I always have a set of Linn Skeets with me during customer visits, I wanted to show him that it will sound even better with the Skeets. When the Krystal was installed and the adjustment was finished a, I confidently placed the skeets under the speakers and adjusted all the spikes very precisely. Then came the moment of surprise: the sound became much worse with all sources (LP12, streamer, TV)! Even further adjustment did not bring any improvement. Everything sounded somewhat strained! The musicality was gone. The interaction of HiFi rack, wooden floor and loudspeakers had gone out of balance. 

In this case the string pucks (also finely adjusted in height) brought a much better solution. The apparently wobbly positioning of the loudspeakers produced a very tuneful result.

Peter

What was it about the situation that made it the exception, as you called it?

I have yet to hear a wobbly speaker that was tuneful. I'll keep listening though.

Edited by akamatsu

15 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

What was it about the situation that made it the exception, as you called it?

The vibrations generated by the speakers were transmitted directly to the hi-fi rack via the skeets and the wooden floor. The vibrations affected the equipment inside (microphony effects). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Phobic said:

it sounds counter intuitive but the platforms make my speakers more stable, they stop my floor from vibrating as much, and remove floor resonance as well, this reduces movement in the speaker cabinet.

https://bestspeakerstand.com/speaker-coupling/

I absolutely agree that these platforms can make a significant improvement in sound quality, that is why I use them.

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

@Paulssurround I thought you had a Klimax hub. Well I swapped the Akurate Hub for the Klimax Hub. Unfortunately I have to say that from then on the experience of music starts. Borrow one of the most important things to do is to set any adjustments you may need to make to the Akurate Hub in SO2 to default.

My Linn dealers don’t have Klimax Hubs to demo, but I would love to try one in my system.

1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

I owned passive (with four Solos) 350 for six months and replaced them with the Komris.

I‘ve several Linn-friends with aktive 350 and only one is/was happy with them. My (!) view is, that the 350 isn‘t able to handle the energy it produce. And the issue with Exakt 350 and different amplifier levels (now fixed?) was unable for me to enjoy music.

To understand my 350 rating (and no, it‘s not bashing) I like Kabers (aktiv with Klouts) and 212/242 (passiv with Solos) and of course my Komris.

@ Paul: stay with your system and enjoy.

Thank you for the feedback. Very helpful.

‘Your Komris do sound extremely impressive.   

1 hour ago, Peter_P said:

Peter

Excellent feedback.

For the last few years I have had my Akubariks on top of these same pucks from German engineered String Suspension Concepts, and they have been a tremendous improvement in sound quality over spikes alone.

‘Last week, I moved the String Suspension Concept pucks to place under my surround Akudoriks and they are a lot better than the spikes I had on marble.

‘My Akubariks now sit on top of a set of Isoacoustic Gaia II’s. The improvements in sound quality with  the Isoacoustic Gaia’s is a definite home run, and are a phenomenal addition to my system. They are well designed and engineered and brought improvements I had never heard before from any Akubariks. I am beyond thrilled with the outcome.

Edited by Paulssurround

10 minutes ago, Peter_P said:

The vibrations generated by the speakers were transmitted directly to the hi-fi rack via the skeets and the wooden floor. The vibrations affected the equipment inside (microphony effects). 

I'm very fortunate in that I have a concrete slab on grade foundation in my house; very low impedance to say the least. My Akubariks are rock solid on that floor. I cannot feel any vibration on the floor right next to my speakers. My former house had a suspended wooden floor, but I had Tukans on stands, also rock solid, but not enough bass to create a problem. So I haven't encountered the problem that you describe. It would seem that speaker selection criteria should include the structural stiffness of the house.

P.S. Something just occurred to me. It would seem to be less of a compromise if the vibration traveling through the floor were mitigated at the equipment rack, rather than at the speakers. Unless the floor vibrating was a problem in and of itself.

Edited by akamatsu

9 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

It would seem that speaker selection criteria should include the structural stiffness of the house.

That rather reminds me of the somewhat rueful admission I once heard from a US Navy aviation project manager, when he said that the birdstike resistance specification for a particular aircraft was basically a set of instructions to the bird.

David

• Haha 1