captain_norbs

2 way with Scan Speak Revelator and Hiquophon

So I've been a box swapper and amateur DIY'er for a while and I've even had a go at running a speaker business ;) This latest project is a take on the Royd Minstrel. It uses the rather extraordinary Hiquophon OW1 tweeter and the equally remarkable Scan Speak Revelator 15W/8530K00 mid-bass driver. This is all going into an enclosure the same proportions as the Royd Minstrel albeit a little deeper than the original. The test cabinets are successful so I'll document progress on the final build here for my own purposes but maybe someone else may take an interest too!

Don't worry that isn't a small body ready to be disposed, just Valchromat panels arriving. All marked up, ready for some additional work and cutting...

PXL_20201030_103058611.jpg

PXL_20201030_103954789.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20201030_104859669.jpg

PXL_20201021_094727051.jpg

• Like 7

Cool project, Adam.  I had a pair of the original Minstrels, my first hifi speakers in fact. Wonderful imaging but a bit bright.  Also, I did my own DIY project with the same mid-bass, so will follow this thread with interest.

• Like 1

Looks good Adam. Which supplier did you use for the Valchromat? I have considered using it in the past, I will be interested to see how you get on.

3 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Looks good Adam. Which supplier did you use for the Valchromat? I have considered using it in the past, I will be interested to see how you get on.

I've used a few and usually get it CNC'd as I'm not really set up for woodworking but this project I wanted to see through to completion. The ones I used for this are Atlantic Timber but SL Hardwoods also supply as do CBJ

• Upvote 1

I've had Valchromat from SL Hardwoods also - they're local to me. They made a good job of the CNC work too.

• Upvote 2

Update for today, getting the back of the cabinets together. I will have to wait for better weather to start work on the baffles.

PXL_20201101_093114568.thumb.jpg.e5b2ef02bbd7bc28754b60d9e6b07445.jpgPXL_20201101_093137782.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpgPXL_20201101_153230137.jpgPXL_20201103_095751889.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20201103_095755992.jpg

Edited by captain_norbs
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, bobovox said:

Cool project, Adam.  I had a pair of the original Minstrels, my first hifi speakers in fact. Wonderful imaging but a bit bright.  Also, I did my own DIY project with the same mid-bass, so will follow this thread with interest.

The speakers in black on the first images are a design as an updated Minstrel. It's a DIY flat pack I've been working on for many months. They use a really clever fixing from Lamello which allows them to be assembled without using clamps.

Just finished the crossover PCBs and waiting for those to arrive. Those use the Seas CA15RLY and 19TFF1 tweeter. They sound pretty good. Identical cabinet and volume to the original Minstrel and angle of tilt. If I had enough people wanting a group buy I'd make these but I just don't think the interest would be there.

I even went to the trouble of creating assembly instructions IKEA style :) 

CARLY_sm.pdf

Edited by captain_norbs
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Heres the prototype flat pack cabinets assembled in unfinished raw valchromat.

CARLy.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200714162336987.jpg

Edited by captain_norbs
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Starting on the baffles - I should have had them CNC'd :doh:

Note to self, make sure the Mrs. has recharged all the DeWalt batteries after using them for the leaf blower...

PXL_20201104_125053784.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

• Haha 2

This is the part where I'm cursing the fact I should have just ponied up and got them to CNC the driver rebates...

PXL_20201105_090555133.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Edited by captain_norbs

If you have a router and a small piece of ali....it’s relatively easy to make your own circle cutter 

• Like 1

So I've said it before and I'll say it again - should have CNC'd the baffles :doh: Anyway I managed to complete them after many attempts to cut some templates with a rather poor circle guide. It's not CNC tolerances of < 0.5mm more like > 2mm but I think once the drivers are in you probably won't notice. Just have to seal the ends of the ply and then when the cabinets are back from spraying it's time to glue it all up.

PXL_20201109_135724859.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Small update for today as it's been a nightmare to find any time. Managed to get the cabinets sprayed... twice as there was a little mis communication the first time. They were also going to add in a black tint to the lacquer to get rid of "the bits" on the Valchromat 😂 luckily I said it was part of the design. They're a nice finish but now they show up some areas where teh second coat has run to the edges and also some of the less than perfect cabinetry but hey ho. Have to complete the crossovers now as I wanted to rewire them with single core as opposed to multi-strand, then gluing up.

Apologies to those annoyed by the over the top Depth of field on the photos, for some reason my google camera has updated and I can't seem to take two shots at a time any more - one with and one without!

PXL_20201121_124858930.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_124918763.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_124953151.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201121_125016151.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by captain_norbs
  • Like 2

Thanks for the update, Adam, looking good. What is the spray finish you are using? My wife and I were talking today about making some Valchromat shelving (red probably) and was thinking about possible finishes. I like the defined grove at the joints as a styling feature - probably hides any misalignment in the joints too?