Natlepan

Amp or Speakers. Something is missing

Hi all, I am looking for some system advice or perhaps some thoughts on potential changes I can make to my current system.

My current system: arcam fmj A38 amp, arcam CDS27 streamer/cd player, Systemdek 11x turntable running through a Graham Slee phono stage into B&W 602s2. 

Whilst the sound to my ears is very good, vocals and sound stage are great however it seems to lack pace.

I had thought speakers, but am now leaning towards the amp. Many moons ago I had a Sugden A28 amp running into Whafedale 505.2s. I am looking for the sort of bass speed that these speakers gave me. Perhaps with a bit more bass as they were a little light on bass even though it was superb. I even bought a set of 505.2s thinking it was the B&Ws but it's not the same.

John Lee Hookers Boom Boom album 3rd track is my go to track. 

Sorry about the long rambling questions . 

Cheers 

Arcam does have a rather laid back 'house sound'. If you are considering changing something I'd start with the amp. 

well got 3 arcam amps here , been tweaking them like mad . used into sensitive horns . the a85 was cleaner sounding with an isotek syncro . but just popped my modest pre amp into the arcam and its even better 

so paul , its well worth keeping the a38 which is a superb amp [ just press the button on the back to make it into a power amp ]  and adding a pre amp . there is huge choice of pre amps and gives you room to play around 

Edited by hifinutt

6 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

What is your budget?

What brands do you have access to and can you demo options?

What sort of music makes up the bulk of your listening?

Hi 

Budget around £800 second hand 

Listening tastes are eclectic. Bulk of listening. Difficult but probably blues and rock. But I do love classical 

you can also add a dac to your cd27 and just use it as a transport to lift the sound but my first suggestion would be first choice . Arcam make great value amps and you have to spend a lot to beat them . i don`t find them laid back , they have great timing . Having had the sugden a21se and lavardin is ref here recently , the arcam a85 [which is similar to a38] is somewhere in between 

sugden is well trying too but they cost a great deal more than arcam 

this would be a superb pre amp to use with a38 

https://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/used-products/amplifiers/ref3-vb-vbs1

and if you want a good sugden and can afford it then this might be good 

https://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/used-products/amplifiers/masterclass-anv50

5 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

well got 3 arcam amps here , been tweaking them like mad . used into sensitive horns . the a85 was cleaner sounding with an isotek syncro . but just popped my modest pre amp into the arcam and its even better 

so paul , its well worth keeping the a38 which is a superb amp [ just press the button on the back to make it into a power amp ]  and adding a pre amp . there is huge choice of pre amps and gives you room to play around 

Hi thank you. Will a pre amp change the sound. I feel the amp is a little layed back. And with certain types of music superb. 

1 minute ago, Natlepan said:

Hi 

Budget around £800 second hand 

Listening tastes are eclectic. Bulk of listening. Difficult but probably blues and rock. But I do love classical 

If you like Classical, I'd be careful moving away from Arcam, unless you head towards the likes of Sugden, Pathos, Electrocompaniet or Croft.

I have always liked the match of Arcam and Kef R Series or LS50

If you want a more forward sound, you could look at Focal or Triangle - but be careful you don't lose the "enjoyment factor" that you have at the moment.

4 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

If you like Classical, I'd be careful moving away from Arcam, unless you head towards the likes of Sugden, Pathos, Electrocompaniet or Croft. 

No! Not for me. 

I like my classical to be lively and upbeat! :)

11 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

No! Not for me. 

I like my classical to be lively and upbeat! :)

If you have a large budget, that is easier. With a small budget to play with, it's very easy to find that Violins sound like strangled cats and Sopranos sound like Banshees. Compromises have to made, so it's essential to make ones you can live with.

Life's too short for boring hifi. 

1 minute ago, CnoEvil said:

If you have a large budget, that is easier. With a small budget to play with, it's very easy to find that Violins sound like strangled cats and Sopranos sound like Banshees. Compromises have to made, so it's essential to make ones you can live with.

If I could have several systems. Life would be so much easier. But the budget doesn't allow for that. 

I will look at the pre amp route and see how that works out. 

4 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Life's too short for boring hifi. 

Should be the forum tagline !

Your speakers are letting the system down. For £800 second hand you could get so much better. I have owned a pair B&W 602 s2 and they are ok (for the price) but your amp and streamer deserve better. Ebay has loads to choose from currently. Good luck.:^

• Upvote 2