Natlepan

Amp or Speakers. Something is missing

11 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Life's too short for boring hifi. 

Indeed, which is why no-one should ever buy B&W speakers, unless they are one of the top of the range models at an extremely low price. EG £10,000 retail price new, bought used for £200.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Faithless said:

Your speakers are letting the system down. For £800 second hand you could get so much better. I have owned a pair B&W 602 s2 and they are ok (for the price) but your amp and streamer deserve better. Ebay has loads to choose from currently. Good luck.:^

Hi thank you for the reply. This was exactly what I had thought and I have been looking to replace the speakers for a while. I knew I wasn't happy with the sound and had an idea of what I wanted so on a whim i bought the whalfedales as this was the sort of sound I was after. 

And yes they sound different but  the fast, punchy but tight bass that I remembered just wasn't there. Same track all be on a far better cd player. 

Once this Vivid malarkey calms down I will venture out into the world again and seek out some demos 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Could I make a suggestion I think the option of a changed pre amp is very good as often the pre will have a strong influence on the sound that the Power amp will just make louder. I currently have three spare pre amps Concordant Exhilarant  Line Valve pre , Myrad MX2000 Solid State and an early Musical Fidelity The Preamp which is again solid state .

You are welcome to borrow one of these and give it a try with your Arcam and see if it makes any difference that way you can at least see if switching the pre is an option before you go to the expense of changing speakers. You must have liked the B&W when you bought them so do not be put off by those that actively dislike the sound from that brand. That is just another opinion and yours is the only one that counts . Drop me a PM if you are interested in trying any of the Pre Amps .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Natlepan said:

Hi thank you. Will a pre amp change the sound. I feel the amp is a little layed back. And with certain types of music superb. 

Yes . Just did this last week . The a85 on it's own is good , great soundstage and not bad mix of warmth and bite. 

Adding in  better pre amp in the form of the bc pre 3 vbs gives more weight , more bass and more boogie factor . Makes a lot of difference. 

Bencats offer is superb , well worth trying paul