alboy1975

free up' toslink on dac

Hi quick question.

I've just ordered a 2012 mac mini for a streamer.  I plan to connect to my rega -dac-r using mini toslink to toslink cable.  The issue is, both optical inputs on dac are currently used (main computer and tv).  I wonder can i use something like this to connect tv to dac:  https://www.futureshop.co.uk/cyp-au-d2-digital-audio-coaxial-toslink-converter?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3KkOkUk1ElwMhADKaDqTBsYqmzUd5fZsWhMYa0PHdP57E1VMB02FIaAphbEALw_wcB .  I know i could use usb to connect dac to main computer, but i have read that the sound isn't as good, plus i want my dac to be integrated into hifi rather than sat on computer desk.  More importantly i have nice 1 meter chord rca cables and dac needs to be close to hifi to use.

Alternatively, might there be a way for tv sound to connect to mac via bluetooth and sound passed through to dac.  i don't think this latter suggestion is possible, but no harm asking.

Keep it simple, just use USB and pour a glass of wine/beer/whisky according to your preference.  The tipple will have more impact on the sound than any small differences in sound between the Rega’s inputs :minikev:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alboy1975 said:

I know i could use usb to connect dac to main computer, but i have read that the sound isn't as good, plus i want my dac to be integrated into hifi rather than sat on computer desk. 

If you read other sources you see it said that USB is superior. As for not wanting your DAC sat on a computer desk I don't see how placement relates to connection choice? You can get long USB leads...

I would at least try using a USB connection to see what you think.

The adapter you linked to would work assuming you have a spare RCA digital input that you want to use instead of optical for your TV signal? Another option would be a Toslink switch.

Or, if you have a spare input on your amp, somethink like this for the TV sound

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Taishan-D03K-Digital-Decoder/dp/B009346RSS

ronnie

Does the Mac mini have an optical/audio input?

Has it not got one next to the headphone jack? It doesn’t look like a normal optical in.

Ah it’s the late 2012 that doubles up into an optical in. Kicking myself in the goodies as I type.

3 minutes ago, robbyrtp said:

Has it not got one next to the headphone jack? It doesn’t look like a normal optical in.

Well, do you know, I have only used it as an output

Audio

• Audio line in minijack (digital/analog)
  • Audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)
  • HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
  • Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
  • Built-in speaker

Super Wammer

Save messing round just add one of the below and use the little remote to switch over to whatever you want to listen to . If you are really paranoid about the sound quality then connect your Mac via Toslink directly to your amp and connect the other two sources TV etc to this and switch away .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Switcher-Extension-Dolby-AC3-Compatible/dp/B07KGQ5NLK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=TOSLINK+Switching+box&qid=1604747995&sr=8-5

Before getting too deep into adding converters and boxes (which I can hardly imagine could improve anything), I'd simply suggest trying a direct comparison between toslink and USB. I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest that in many (not all) applications, USB will be better.

Thanks for all the advice.  Think i've come down to 3 options:

1.  use toslink/coax convertor

2.  connect main computer via usb

3.  Use my old dac (dacmagic 100) for tv

I'm vearing towards third option, as rarely watch tv, i just need sound on the rare occasions that i do 

I don't understand your apparent reluctance to try the USB connection? Surely this is the simplest option, which may also sound best for audio from your computer.