alboy1975

free up' toslink on dac

2 minutes ago, alboy1975 said:

Assuming you have a suitable USB lead to try, I'd do so before looking to spend money on anything else personally. 

• Upvote 2

Stick with USB. The TOSlink connection starts as a coax, is converted to an optical fibre signal and then back again to coax at the receiving end. No advantage whatsoever as far as I can see assuming you don’t suffer from radio interference in your cables.

19 hours ago, alboy1975 said:

Alternatively, might there be a way for tv sound to connect to mac via bluetooth and sound passed through to dac.  i don't think this latter suggestion is possible, but no harm asking.

This would probably give you sync'ing problems.

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, alboy1975 said:

Thanks for the link but as has been asked have you tried the USB input ? if so do you agree with the verdict given against an SPDIF ? If not as has been said before really spending your own money try it . It might work and sound fine , or it might be as the What Hi reviewer says .

I do not have a USB DAC so not something I have used very often but the only ussb connection I have heard that was not at least the equal of SPDIF was when a USB 1.0 source was put into a DSP unit that was USB 3.0 . The problem was that the DSP unit was not really built to be back compatable so nothing wrong with USB just the issue with an old source.

Really do think i'm just going to use spare (not so good dacmagic) dac for tv, that way everything is connected through optical.  It's difficult for me to try things, as I am disabled and I'm unable to use my hands properly.  A friend will help me set up and i don't want to confuse matters for someone who isn't hifi savy.  The tv really isn't that important to me, i just need sound for the rare occasions i watch it

• Like 1

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, alboy1975 said:

Really do think i'm just going to use spare (not so good dacmagic) dac for tv, that way everything is connected through optical.  It's difficult for me to try things, as I am disabled and I'm unable to use my hands properly.  A friend will help me set up and i don't want to confuse matters for someone who isn't hifi savy.  The tv really isn't that important to me, i just need sound for the rare occasions i watch it

@alboy1975Apologies I had no idea that you would have issues with these connections and i understand your reluctance . I doubt you will find too much loss with the DAC Magic for the TV as often the sound broadcast is not that good anyway . Enjoy your music and ignore us obsessives .

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 09:37, Man in a van said:

Or, if you have a spare input on your amp, somethink like this for the TV sound

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Taishan-D03K-Digital-Decoder/dp/B009346RSS

ronnie

It does work, I have one of these on my TV. However, the volume output is very low. On my Naim NAC 282 Amp I had to have the volume set at 11 to 12, whereas on all my other other components, I have the volume set at 8 to 9.

To overcome this, I added a small Headphone Amplifier with a volume control to be able to set the output volume, so that it matches the other components.

FYI, this is the model that I added;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08G8KCQJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, DiggyGun said:

It does work, I have one of these on my TV. However, the volume output is very low. On my Naim NAC 282 Amp I had to have the volume set at 11 to 12, whereas on all my other other components, I have the volume set at 8 to 9.

To overcome this, I added a small Headphone Amplifier with a volume control to be able to set the output volume, so that it matches the other components.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08G8KCQJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have always found optical output from my TV to be below par. That's a handy link to a useful device :)

14 hours ago, DiggyGun said:

Is that used with a TV headphone output rather than Toslink?