DexterPi

dCS owners

Recommended Posts

@TheFlash I hate to break it to you but you’re two boxes short!:P

I recall hearing a system fronted by the four box stack many years ago at the Heathrow Hifi Show. I’ve always lusted after one so when a full stack came up for sale locally to me, at a decent price, I was very tempted. Luckily, my head ruled my heart, and I passed on it. 
I’m interested in your findings on how a 20+ year design holds up against newer equipment.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

@TheFlash I hate to break it to you but you’re two boxes short!:P

I recall hearing a system fronted by the four box stack many years ago at the Heathrow Hifi Show. I’ve always lusted after one so when a full stack came up for sale locally to me, at a decent price, I was very tempted. Luckily, my head ruled my heart, and I passed on it. 
I’m interested in your findings on how a 20+ year design holds up against newer equipment.

All in good time, my friend!

The Verdi La Scala includes a Purcell upsampler of course, but it only works on silver round things and I'd like to be able to upscale my Node 2i too. On my shopping list, just not yet (so, kind wammers, please don't point me to the one on eBay...).

The Verona master clock will follow too (ditto re eBay). The Mutec reclocker will stay (and be driven off the Verona when I have one) as the Verona is "only" a clock, not a reclocker.

Lots of clocking fun to come then. One day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 14/01/2021 at 20:17, Blackmetalboon said:

@TheFlash I hate to break it to you but you’re two boxes short!:P

I recall hearing a system fronted by the four box stack many years ago at the Heathrow Hifi Show. I’ve always lusted after one so when a full stack came up for sale locally to me, at a decent price, I was very tempted. Luckily, my head ruled my heart, and I passed on it. 
I’m interested in your findings on how a 20+ year design holds up against newer equipment.

On 14/01/2021 at 20:44, TheFlash said:

All in good time, my friend!

The Verdi La Scala includes a Purcell upsampler of course, but it only works on silver round things and I'd like to be able to upscale my Node 2i too. On my shopping list, just not yet (so, kind wammers, please don't point me to the one on eBay...).

The Verona master clock will follow too (ditto re eBay). The Mutec reclocker will stay (and be driven off the Verona when I have one) as the Verona is "only" a clock, not a reclocker.

Lots of clocking fun to come then. One day.

TheFlash by name, TheFlash by nature:

just bagged a Verona master clock on eBay.

Given the choice, I would have prioritised the Purcell upsampler but beggars can't be choosers.

Crikey, with a dCS Verona and a couple of Mutec MC-3+ in da house, there are more permutations than at the All-the-Permutations-You-Can-Eat buffet at PermutationFest '21.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

TheFlash by name, TheFlash by nature:

just bagged a Verona master clock on eBay.

Given the choice, I would have prioritised the Purcell upsampler but beggars can't be choosers.

Crikey, with a dCS Verona and a couple of Mutec MC-3+ in da house, there are more permutations than at the All-the-Permutations-You-Can-Eat buffet at PermutationFest '21.

Exciting! 

I just got a Focal headphone stand there... ok, not as exciting as yours. xD

Edited by Griff500
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Exciting! 

I just got a Focal headphone stand there... ok, not as exciting as yours. xD

Swap? Cash your way!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2021 at 21:00, TheFlash said:

TheFlash by name, TheFlash by nature:

just bagged a Verona master clock on eBay.

Given the choice, I would have prioritised the Purcell upsampler but beggars can't be choosers.

Crikey, with a dCS Verona and a couple of Mutec MC-3+ in da house, there are more permutations than at the All-the-Permutations-You-Can-Eat buffet at PermutationFest '21.

Is this up and running yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
14 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Is this up and running yet?

Not all three boxes yet... I'm just getting used to the Verdi La Scala transport into the Elgar Plus DAC, with (via IEEE1394/Firewire) and without (via BNC) upsampling. I'm liking it both ways but particularly what the upsampling does, and will report back.

Verona clock should go in over the weekend, but  have lots of other life going on too.

All this is without usig the pimped Node 2i; I'm really looking forward to hearing this into the dCS Elgar Plus DAC.

Don't mention the Mutec...

I will not be rushing all this or my head will explode with confusion... and I'll long for the good old days when I just had a CD player and record player.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Temporary residence of course... and now with master clock. I can’t claim double blind anything so put it down to the clock or cable swap or whatever ... but boy this is sounding fabulous.

DE82A64B-FDC6-4FE6-8DDA-384E65FAA6D2.thumb.jpeg.2ff389b0f6a2f57a8027a965c767288b.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

PS in case anyone wants to join the party. I bought my Elgar Plus DAC and Verdi transport from a very nice guy in London, and subsequently my Verona from another very nice chap. Must be something about dCS owners... I struck up conversation alongside the first guy’s eBay listing for the “full” stack of 4: the above plus Purcell upsampler. This listing is still live. All the kit comes in flight cases. I didn’t go for it due to space concerns but I’ve now sorted those. 
We’re talking £5,625 for what was originally $40,000 (dCS are a very British company, I’m just going off the stereophile reviews) of joy if my memory and maths are ok-ish. Simply stunning.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If what I've heard about the DCS stack is true it must sound great. Approaching the Topping level of performance if Keith's right.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Approaching the Topping level of performance if Keith's right.

I think Topping are lagging behind in some objectively measurable areas Keith forgets about:

  1. People's rating of the casework and perceived build quality
  2. How well the units can operate as a paperweight or anti-vibration mass in a hifi rack
  3. Profit margin
  4. Manual's that avoid spelling and grammatical errors
  5. Price

I am sure there are many I've missed.

:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, Metatron said:

I think Topping are lagging behind in some objectively measurable areas Keith forgets about:

  1. People's rating of the casework and perceived build quality
  2. How well the units can operate as a paperweight or anti-vibration mass in a hifi rack
  3. Profit margin
  4. Manual's that avoid spelling and grammatical errors
  5. Price

I am sure there are many I've missed.

:whistle:

If you did (4) on purpose, hats off to you. If you didn't... we need to have words. ;)

Of course, while we all know about (5), we know little about (3). There is far more to the costs of a piece of kit than the cost of its components.

Setting all that aside, I have always been happy to buy classic if ageing kit; of the right quality, it continues to deliver for years or decades and after 20+ years of doing this I have yet to trip over a major issue. And the cost-benefit eqation is outrageous compared with the same kit new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheFlash said:

If you did (4) on purpose, hats off to you. If you didn't... we need to have words. ;)

Certainly (4) was on purpose. My dCS equipment manual was excellent, unlike my SMSL one. The dCS manual was excellent compared to pretty much every manual I've had from various brands of hifi over 25+ years.

My post was merely being contentious for fun.

Even the way dCS package units is excellent, as it doesn't turn into a wrestling match to get something out or put it back in the box. Doing the latter doesn't take oodles of time playing some form of folding Tetris to get everything in the box. 

Just noticed I still have dCS gear listed in my profile. I will need to fix that. My dCS Network Bridge is with George47 now. (Had a brief period out of work where I thought I was going to need some extra cash and sold it on, only to get a job offer 2 days later). 

[Trump voice]: George got a deal, some say the best deal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Metatron said:

Certainly (4) was on purpose. My dCS equipment manual was excellent, unlike my SMSL one. The dCS manual was excellent compared to pretty much every manual I've had from various brands of hifi over 25+ years.

My post was merely being contentious for fun.

Even the way dCS package units is excellent, as it doesn't turn into a wrestling match to get something out or put it back in the box. Doing the latter doesn't take oodles of time playing some form of folding Tetris to get everything in the box. 

Just noticed I still have dCS gear listed in my profile. I will need to fix that. My dCS Network Bridge is with George47 now. (Had a brief period out of work where I thought I was going to need some extra cash and sold it on, only to get a job offer 2 days later). 

[Trump voice]: George got a deal, some say the best deal. 

Thank you sir!

I have to agree. The manuals are the very best I've seen, which is no mean feat given the numerous options, extensive connectivity, etc. My first setting up was absolutely straightforward and adding the clock into the mix even easier.

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.