Sign in to follow this  
voyduser

Sensibly priced Blue Note all analogue reissues

Interested to see that Blue Note are planning to re-issue some classic titles on vinyl such as 'Out to Lunch', 'The Sidewinder', 'Midnight Blue' over the coming months.

More interestingly, these are all analogue remasters from the original master tapes by Kevin Gray and priced at a very sensible €25.

I've pre-ordered 'The Sidewinder' which is released mid December so will be intrigued to see how it sounds as that is stonkingly good value.

https://store.bluenote.com/collections/blue-note-80/products/lee-morgan-the-sidewinder-blue-note-classic-vinyl-edition

Edited by voyduser
Amendment
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm an avid collector of both the BN80 and Tone Poet releases and I've found their sound quality uniformly excellent. A big improvement on the digitally sourced 75th anniversary reissues.

Just received my first Tone Poet purchase, Introducing Kenny Burrell and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the packaging and also the vinyl. The cover quality is right up there with Music Matters and the vinyl is very very quiet. I have 75th re-issue of Horace Silver's Songs For My Father and that was very disappointing so will definitely be getting the new Kevin Gray re-mastered re-issue if the Sidewinder is as good as the Tone Poet release. 

Very nice, that's my Xmas present list sorted. Alligator Boogaloo & Alive have been streamed regularly recently, be nice to have them on vinyl. Obviously, all the other releases are excellent too. 'Doin' the Thing' is a top Horace Silver album. How would those who've heard these remasters compare them to the streamed versions? I'm guessing quality of vinyl set up will play a major part, but with my mediocre vinyl replay (in signature below) am I going to be disappointed - as I often am - and find no improvement over streaming or will the all analogue be noticeable?

Edited by Headcoat

13 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Very nice, that's my Xmas present list sorted. Alligator Boogaloo & Alive have been streamed regularly recently, be nice to have them on vinyl. Obviously, all the other releases are excellent too. 'Doin' the Thing' is a top Horace Silver album. How would those who've heard these remasters compare them to the streamed versions? I'm guessing quality of vinyl set up will play a major part, but with my mediocre vinyl replay (in signature below) am I going to be disappointed - as I often am - and find no improvement over streaming or will the all analogue be noticeable?

What I have read on other forums, the Kevin Gray remasters are among the best, you can check on the Hoffman forum, there maybe some info. on those albums.

Where are you streaming the albums from? If from Tidal/Qobuz these will be the original RVG or a remastered version, they won't be a special remaster, so I would think the vinyl should be much better, certainly worth trying one. Some of the RVG remasters are too bright for my ears.

I did come across this which maybe of interest: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/82998-blue-note-the-80-works-japanese-reissue-series/

Edited by StingRay
  • Upvote 1

@Baggawire @StingRay @voyduser

Might be too late but there is / was a 20% discount on the UK Blue Note store this weekend. BLUENOTE20 is the code.

I made two orders, on the second one it said the code had reached it's number of redeemable uses! Have mailed them to ask if the discount can be credited against my second order - the website clearly says 20% all weekend. Some of the prices appear to actually be cheaper than the US store pre-discount and of course delivery is cheaper.

Ended up with:

Indestructible - Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers

Jutta Hip with Zoot Sims - Jutta Hop

Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions

Dexter Gordon - A Swingin Affair

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack

Horace Silver - Doin'' The Thing

Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo

Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Duke Pearson - The Phantom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Might be too late but there is / was a 20% discount on the UK Blue Note store this weekend. BLUENOTE20 is the code.

I made two orders, on the second one it said the code had reached it's number of redeemable uses! Have mailed them to ask if the discount can be credited against my second order - the website clearly says 20% all weekend. Some of the prices appear to actually be cheaper than the US store pre-discount and of course delivery is cheaper.

Ended up with:

Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

Nice collection you've got there. I'm a big Art Blakey fan and Indestructible is a monster.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Ended up with:

Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

A good selection of albums. I'm keen on Dexter Gordon, check out Our Man in Paris and Doin' Alright if you don't know those, One Flight Up is also pretty good.

12 minutes ago, StingRay said:

A good selection of albums. I'm keen on Dexter Gordon, check out Our Man in Paris and Doin' Alright if you don't know those, One Flight Up is also pretty good.

Cheers, got Doin' Alright and One Flight Up on vinyl from 35 years ago. They still play really well despite the odd pop and crackle. Really looking forward to hearing the re-mastering when these arrive. Away from Blue Note, At the Subway Club, 1973 Live is great... first track Wave one of my favourites.

20% off the new Blue Note Classic Series isn't to be sniffed at. I already have Lee Morgan's Sidewinder on a very nice Music Matters pressing but bought the other three as I gave them a miss when they were released as part of 75th anniversary series due to their digital sourcing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baggawire said:

20% off the new Blue Note Classic Series isn't to be sniffed at. I already have Lee Morgan's Sidewinder on a very nice Music Matters pressing but bought the other three as I gave them a miss when they were released as part of 75th anniversary series due to their digital sourcing.

20% off made them excellent value...

• Like 1