I only just noticed we had a car forum!

I'm probably even more of a car freak than a hifi geek!

Has anyone got aspirations to try the northern 500?

I've got a sakhir orange BMW M4 competition, but unfortunately none of my mates have fast cars and I really want to try this drive in the Spring.

Done it on my bike loads of times before it was called the Northern 500. Speed trap heaven now though, and gets mobbed with motorhomes etc 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just keep tight to the West Coast and you'll be fine, anything above Oban heading north is simply awesome...... especially on two wheels...!

Peter

I have done some of it, it's great if not pouring downing with rain. From memory a lot of it was on single track roads with passing places, don't expect to do it at high speed. The road to Applecross looks fun but we did not do that bit.

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

I have done some of it, it's great if not pouring downing with rain. From memory a lot of it was on single track roads with passing places, don't expect to do it at high speed. The road to Applecross looks fun but we did not do that bit.

Rain, single lane tracks and a remapped M4 isn't ideal:nerves:

Still want to try it though! 

Super Wammer
I only just noticed we had a car forum!
I'm probably even more of a car freak than a hifi geek!
Has anyone got aspirations to try the northern 500?
I've got a sakhir orange BMW M4 competition, but unfortunately none of my mates have fast cars and I really want to try this drive in the Spring.

Did this in a bright yellow Spitfire 1500 camping in September with my bride to be in 1982 by accident before it was officially called NC500, Again had done it by accident in 1980 in July when there was still a ferry at Kylesku B4 the bridge
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres
Retiring xmas eve so looking for projects for next year - I would be up for it - have a 2004 SLK now coming up for 100k. I would like to explore the Crinan canal too https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinan_Canal
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to do the NC500 with a couple of nights at The Torridon, obviously. :D

Unfortunately, whilst I'm sure that wafting round it in a Range Rover would be great, it doesn't really seem like the right car for the job. I suppose we'll just have to see what 2021 brings...

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Beobloke said:

I'd love to do the NC500 with a couple of nights at The Torridon, obviously. :D

Unfortunately, whilst I'm sure that wafting round it in a Range Rover would be great, it doesn't really seem like the right car for the job. I suppose we'll just have to see what 2021 brings...

Take the Jag!

• Haha 1

Take the Jag!

No - It’s a nice car and handles very well but it’s a four cylinder diesel which would just be wrong for this job!

Heck, at least the Range Rover has eight cylinders and a supercharger!
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

No - It’s a nice car and handles very well but it’s a four cylinder diesel which would just be wrong for this job!

Listening to the comments about motor homes, speed cameras, and passing places, it sounds like a 1.0 Fiesta will do !

• Like 1

I've discovered petrol head tours which are taking bookings for April. £900 PP which includes accomodation for 7 nights and the guide.

Check it out 

I have a mate who has just moved to Glasgow so going to see if he wants to come along otherwise I might just go on my own. It appears many do.

I think my M4 will be up for it too ;)

On 12/11/2020 at 16:21, StingRay said:

Applecross is brilliant. I did it on a 750 Commando in the early 1980s

I did it last year
Awesome drive, even with all the motorhomes
As has been mentioned, the road to Applecross is amazing, the trip is worth it just for that.
The whole of the west coast is "special", the east side is nice, but not as dramatic
I'd recommend booking accommodation ahead, speaking with the lady at one of the campsites, they get booked up pretty quickly, and all the b&bs had no vacancies signs out.