Katalyst upgrades ceased with immediate effect

Linn have sent out an email saying that no more upgrades can be performed, due to the fire at the AKM premises in Japan. Makes sense, as I guess they have to keep their stocks for 'new builds'. They're honouring upgrades that are already in the pipeline though.

Hopefully the factory will get back to business before Linn run out, or they'll have to go through the whole process again with another chip manyfacturer.

Glad I'm already up-to-date!

Mick

Super Wammer

Crumbs, I suppose that was inevitable.  I wonder if a newer AKM chip would be a direct replacement without the need to redesign the whole board. 

Actually aren’t there quite a few fairly budget priced DACs one could source with this chip, if that is the only missing piece?

Edited by Nopiano

I hope Linn have access to enough reserves of AKM to carry them through

Here is an interesting article on how the audio industry views the impact of this fire

https://www.strata-gee.com/akm-fire-2020-was-almost-over-then-disaster-struck-again/

• Sad 1

Interesting. Thanks, Paul. I think it’s a very sensible announcement by Linn as they don’t want to be perceived as unable to produce core products. I also imagine that the number of potential orders for  Katalyst upgrade kits is now well down compared to just after release.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is the suspension of upgrades "until further notice", or are Linn suggesting that they are discontinuing them completely? I would hope that it would not be the latter.

David

13 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Is the suspension of upgrades "until further notice", or are Linn suggesting that they are discontinuing them completely? I would hope that it would not be the latter.

David

According to the article above, AKM could subcontract production of their chips/DACs to other semiconductor manufacturers, until they get back into production.

‘The amount of development work involved in circuit board design to provide power to the AKM devices and adapt the components to Linn’s needs was a tremendous amount of work. If Linn went a different manufacturer would be an enormous endeavour for Linn, so I think that would be a last resort.

‘Let’s hope with Japanese production efficiency, that the AKM factory is up and running sooner than projected.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

David

I would imagine (and hope) the former. Linn are most likely simply being careful with their existing stock, which will hopefully bridge the gap until AKM are able to return to some form of normality. 

Mick

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, MickC said:

I would imagine (and hope) the former. Linn are most likely simply being careful with their existing stock, which will hopefully bridge the gap until AKM are able to return to some form of normality. 

I hope you’re right!  I suppose in the scheme of AKM’s production Linn’s need is minuscule.  I’m sure some implementations of this DAC probably sell tens or hundreds times as many. 

I hadn't heard about the fire until now.

I was one of the unlucky ones that upgraded an ADS to katalyst just before linn announced that there would be no more DS upgrades.

Consequently I had to sell my ADS for an ADSM/2 when I bought an LP12, with the hope of katalysing that when funds allowed.

Although this announcement is no fault of linn's, I would find it very hard to remain a linn customer if they left me with another dead end product.

Fingers crossed this is a temporary setback.... more importantly though, I hope that nobody was hurt in the fire.

Super Wammer
47 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

more importantly though, I hope that nobody was hurt in the fire.

This article says that there were no injuries nor deaths.

https://www.dtmstation.com/archives/32685.html

Time for Katalyst2 to be developed.... which I am waiting for now as I’ve left it so long. 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, 9designs said:

Time for Katalyst2 to be developed.... which I am waiting for now as I’ve left it so long. 

Ha, you and me too, Steve!  The trouble is that DACs are out of date almost before they’re launched these days.  But chasing one dB at minus 130dB probably isn’t high on most of our agendas!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 9designs said:

Don't hold your breath. That KDS upgrade (if it comes back after the current hiatus) will still be good value for a while yet, I reckon.

David

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Don't hold your breath. That KDS upgrade (if it comes back after the current hiatus) will still be good value for a while yet, I reckon.

David

Yeah maybe, but this level of architecture has been out a while now and filtered down.....  So the next evolution must be in development,  probably using parts from the same supplier/factory. So I'll still have to wait! 

Can Linn squeeze anymore out of a digital signal.......