Linn Majik I and Focal speakers

huzy

9 minutes ago, huzy said:

The speakers are German made Zoller Imagination equipped with Focal kevlar woofers and Focal Tioxid tweeters.Very revealing and enjoyable very much if partnered with smooth  amplifier

They sound very interesting, but of course I’ve never even heard of them, let alone heard them!  

The Zollers constituted an upgrade from JM Lab Electra 905's which you possibly heard ( not only of)

Edited by huzy

JM Lab and Zoller share the same tweeter and similar woofers in D'Appolito mode

1 hour ago, huzy said:

The Zollers constituted an upgrade from JM Lab Electra 905's which you possibly heard ( not only of)

Thanks.  I looked them up and they seem like quite a classic design, though I don’t recall ever hearing them. I’ve mostly heard various sizes of Utopia at shows over a decade or so, but they never quite did it for me. I wanted to because the designs were so striking, and they looked stunning.  At the time I was smitten by Sonus faber, and I still like the brand, yet Focal’s designs seemed too revealing and forced, somehow.  

Thanks!

Then partnering them with the Majik I would make the effect revealing too much,I suppose?

1 hour ago, huzy said:

Thanks!

Then partnering them with the Majik I would make the effect revealing too much,I suppose?

I wish I could know, but I really can’t be sure.  Like @lindsayt said, if you’re happy with the price then it’s worth a punt. Is it the later model with circular buttons?  They’re decent amplifiers and I’m not sure what I’d rush to choose instead for similar outlay.  

• Upvote 1

Yes,it is a model with circular buttons and Dynamik power supply

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I wish I could know, but I really can’t be sure.  Like @lindsayt said, if you’re happy with the price then it’s worth a punt. Is it the later model with circular buttons?  They’re decent amplifiers and I’m not sure what I’d rush to choose instead for similar outlay.  

On the similar money front, I paid a total of £300 for my NVA P50SA (bought used off ebay) and NVA A20 (bought new in a sale last year) combination.

I'd be quite happy to get together with huzy - post-Lockdown / Social Distancing - to compare this combo against a Linn Majik or any other amplifier.

At the £0 to £500 level, I don't see it as a big deal if anyone makes the odd wrong turning on the amplification front.

It's easy to forgive your amplifier if it sounds decent, but not the best amplifier ever made if you've spent less than £500 on it.

• Like 1

I considered NVA amp but this is said to sing with speakers of at least 8 ohm impedance.My speakers belong to 4 ohm group and I am wondering whether the Majik I could drive them at all....

2 hours ago, huzy said:

I considered NVA amp but this is said to sing with speakers of at least 8 ohm impedance.My speakers belong to 4 ohm group and I am wondering whether the Majik I could drive them at all....

I also have a 1980's pro amp that I bought for £80, that'd be worth trying with your speakers.

There's one way of finding out how an amplifier sounds with your speakers. And that's to put it to the test. Preferably in a way that you won't lose any money if the amp disappoints. At £400 you should be able to test the Majik with your speakers and sell on for no loss if you find something else you prefer for similar or less money.

Maybe you should see what you can buy off ebay for less than £50 (or less than £20 if £50 is a bit of a big deal for you) and just buy that as a cheap as chips starter amp to use as a starting reference point to compare against anything else?

So far so good except upper mids emphasis-soon an XLO interconnect will arrive hoped to tame that.

Edited by huzy

Hi,

Have just decided to buy the amp.It has appeared to play jazz beautifully.Wondering now which Synergistic Research fuse to choose.Pity that Red is now hard to find...

11 minutes ago, huzy said:

Hi,

Have just decided to buy the amp.It has appeared to play jazz beautifully.Wondering now which Synergistic Research fuse to choose.Pity that Red is now hard to find...

I can’t believe that’ll be a significant difference.  As long as the fuse is clean and a suitable rating I’d get back to the music!

• Upvote 1

I have got positive experience as regards Synergistic Research - they constitute a tweak comparable with better cables

6 minutes ago, huzy said:

I have got positive experience as regards Synergistic Research - they constitute a tweak comparable with better cables

Fair enough!  I’ve never tried audiophile fuses as I’m never sure if they’re electrically safe.  

• Upvote 1