gasolin

Amp for B&W

21 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

dali`s consistantly impress with their small speakers . tremendous vfm and the menuet is about twice the price of the ops 607s2 . i have had many B&w speakers here including 800 series and 600 [ old ] series . used lots of amps with them . nad are great amps so look forward to gasolins opinion when they arrive of the nad combo 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ca79fbwqyh1cla/VID_20201117_195126.mp4?dl=0

• Like 1

thanks , the attraction of the baby 607s2 is they are only 207cm in depth and fit on top of the eatons [ for AV system] . none of the others do [ the eatons are 26cm in depth ] 

4 hours ago, bencat said:

Given that quite a few have advised that Rotel amplifiers work with B&W speakers but that you say they are not in the right price range then what about considering a sideways move ?

I do not know the NAD model you currently have but most of the NAD intergrated I have seen have a pre amp out , if yours does then look at a second hand Rotel power amp which will give you the extra power you might need and also retain some of the NAD qualities you like . A brief search turned up this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rotel-power-amplifier-Rb-981/184537854007?hash=item2af7503037:g:ROQAAOSwonZfsZQy

thats a great suggestion , the 607 are fairly low sensitivity 

Edited by hifinutt

no matter wht it's easy to hear the 607,606 and 603's sound better than the 686,685 and 683's

• Haha 1

Well just ordered some 607s2 , thanks to gasolin leading me astray...cheaper than Dali menuet which were intended . But they are double the price !  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Well just ordered some 607s2 , thanks to gasolin leading me astray...cheaper than Dali menuet which were intended . But they are double the price !  

You still have a arcam a85 ?

The difference is a couple of capsistors (or what ever they are called) and something in the tweeter 607 s1 vs s2 anniversary edition

Yesterday i tested the bass and it's clearly going down to 40hz, pretty good from a 5" woofer

Edited by gasolin

Yes got 2 of them !!! Actually using the a85 as a power amp with the bel canto pre 3 as a pre amp. It's rather a good combo !! The isotek syncro really lifted the performance of the arcam  

The 607s2 are for an av system as front left and right speakers with a humble denon . I will of course be testing them with the rather super arcam

Edited by hifinutt
  • Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 12:07, jon said:

Enjoy the new speakers! What makes you think you need a new amp?

I wouldn't bother buying new at that kind of price - unlikely to give a noticeable improvement over what you've got. Buying a pro amp (e.g. one of Berhinger's studio amps) might give you more power within budget, if that's what you want, but sitting close to the speakers do you really listen loud enough to need this?

If you're buying used, I wouldn't bother with an original NAD 3020. I've had one - sounded nice, but limited power by modern standards and if they're fetching 200 euros that is probably down to the vintage/classic status of the amp as much as the sound. You might get a pretty nice AV receiver without the connections modern AV users want for in budget...or otherwise you're just waiting to see if a bargain comes up. I'd enjoy what you've got for a bit before buying new stuff, though!

have you seen this review https://www.tonepublications.com/review/nad-c316-bee-integrated-amplifier/

I just wanted to let you know i found a nad c352 for just under £100  Best amp of the year 2005 https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-stereo-amplifiers-21st-century

My c316bee i still want to keep and use it for my tv and mabye sell my Nad c717

Reason for buying a different amp is bass (nad 3020 vs c316bee) https://www.tonepublications.com/review/nad-c316-bee-integrated-amplifier/

Quote  The most explicit revelation occurred during the intro of Keith Emerson’s “Ignition” from his recent Keith Emerson Band. Where the 3020 reproduces the low organ notes, all is silence when played through the C316 BEE.

The extra power is just a nice bonus. Another nice to have feature from the nad c352 is pre out,main in for future upgrades either a rotel amp or bi amping

Quote from the review  similar verdict is reached listening to Tone Loc’s “Funky Cold Medina.” The C316 BEE just doesn’t have the grunt. 

I of course tried the song and the review is kind of right 

Super Wammer

You wanted a speaker to match your amp but ended up ignoring our advice and bought speakers that you then had to buy a different amp for to get the sound that you wanted. Wow!

I didn't have to buy a new (different ) amp, i choose to buy one since i found one within my budget.

I have often found something without buying it (and then it's gone), for me need it's about as good as it can get within my budget.

It's still a nad, it has more power, should have better bass and most important, it's possible to upgrade to a power amp since it has pre out , no excuse for me not having an amp or preamp with preout if i want to try a different power amp, some youtubers i follow like Thomas & stereo have many amps, i don't, so when i want to try something differenet (just because i can) i often sell what i have to get a new amp.

Edited by gasolin