audio_PHIL_e

Power switch location

This thread has got me thinking. There is a mix of power button locations for the 10 pieces of equipment that make up the bulk of my Hifi/AV system in my living room.

TV - It’s an old Plasma TV with a large enough bezel for a power button. This gets switched off when not in use.

Humax Box - As there may be scheduled recordings this gets put into standby mode. 

Blu-ray Player - This has no off button so gets put in standby mode.

Media Server - This has two mains inputs, both have a on/off switch on the rear. But much like a PC this is powered down from a single button on the front.

Music Server - This is left powered up continuously. One of the reasons is that I have had trouble with it finding a connection to my DAC after powering it down the second is that it now does/will serve a 2nd system.

CD Player - This has a standby mode but it keeps the internal LED lighting on so this gets turned off when not in use via a switch on the rear.

HiFi Pre & Power Amps - The only option these have is a button on the front but looks like it puts the units into a standby mode. 

Pre/Processor - This has a standby button in the front but is powered down after use with the switch on the rear.

Multi Channel Power Amp - Like my other amps, this only has a button on the front which puts it into standby mode.

The 5 pieces of equipment that make up my second system (even though several items have a standby mode) all gets turned off by the switches on the rear.

I have never really considered the power consumption of my system, I might have to measure it one day.

4 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I have never really considered the power consumption of my system, I might have to measure it one day.

I have a Kill-A-Watt device which measures the power consumed by anything which is plugged in via it.  I'm not sure if such devices are available in the UK.  Anyway, it's quite odd how different devices use quite different amounts of energy in standby.  I think my Pioneer DVD player uses about 1 watt in standby, but my Mitsubishi/Toshiba DVD player uses something like 2 watts.  :o  The Mitsubishi/Toshiba DVD player does have a red LED standby light, which is quite useless, but I don't think that accounts for all the extra energy used in standby mode versus the Pioneer.   

The aforementioned Insignia HD radio tuner (digital radio in the US) uses something like 12-15 watts (I forget the exact figure) in standby since turning it off via the soft power switch really does nothing except to turn the display off and cut the audio output.  :doh: 

My vintage Pioneer and Hitachi receivers use virtually nothing when turned off since they don't have remotes.  Their power switches are more or less hard power switches.  I consider that an advantage of vintage equipment.  ;)

Edited by Klassik

As someone who likes making amplifiers, the position of the power switch is always a compromise. The convenience of on the front, or the inner peace of the back. I am always anxious of running the unfiltered mains, which is a large and sometimes noisy signal all the way from the back to the front of the case, past all the sensitive audio circuits. One day I will run it through a copper pipe, or use screened.

Edited by dave
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dave said:

As someone who likes making amplifiers, the position of the power switch is always a compromise. The convenience of on the front, or the inner peace of the back. I am always anxious of running the unfiltered mains, which is a large and sometimes noisy signal all the way from the back to the front of the case, past all the sensitive audio circuits. One day I will run it through a copper pipe, or use screened.

Ole' Klassik has had more than a few pieces of equipment where the front power switch, a hard power switch, is connected to a long rod (no, not that long rod :bouncey:) which actuates a switch at the back of the unit.  I've seen a few cassette decks like that and also I think my Hitachi receiver works in such a fashion.  It's been a few years since I've been in it so I can't remember for sure. 

1 hour ago, Klassik said:

Ole' Klassik has had more than a few pieces of equipment where the front power switch, a hard power switch, is connected to a long rod

Yes, so have I, and quite often they are cassette decks too. This is a good solution, but a bit tricky for DIY.

In the olden days, power switching could be done from one place like a preamp and power amplifiers were put out of the way in big wooden boxes, along with the speakers. 

• Like 1