Psilonaught

DHT preamp with balanced inputs/ outputs and remote?

Nice looking but expensive for sure! David is going to sort me a plan for a custom DHT which I will seriously consider. Need to find a nice looking case too.

Here are some under the bonnet shots of my type 26 DHT 

775C4D78-848C-4842-88B8-BF679DD881BD.jpeg.1917520a1b88ad7890acc86c3548d739.jpegultra liner psu with mesh plate rectifier

8D412EE3-227C-418C-9F76-BEA0BB0ADFDA.jpeg.88d44ba6a22dd77e73d2c6dd7c69c650.jpeg  preamp unit 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Nice!

It was originally built by Rui Lorenco who followed Ale’ design ideas....then it was reworked by Simon SJS who introduced some of his foo capacitors etc and removed the original glow tubes.  It’s incredibly detailed sound wise with a superb ability to separate instruments  

I'd like some of that action please :love:

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

It was originally built by Rui Lorenco who followed Ale’ design ideas....then it was reworked by Simon SJS who introduced some of his foo capacitors etc and removed the original glow tubes.  It’s incredibly detailed sound wise with a superb ability to separate instruments  

26 DHT Preamp Gen2 by Rui Lourenço

https://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2013/02/20/26-dht-preamp-gen2-by-rui-lourenco/

Rui's 26 DHT preamp in operation

Finished preamp with globe 26

Edited by Maestoso
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yes that’s my amp before it was tweaked by Simon ....the only visual change was removal of the 4 glow tubes at the rear of the amp

I'd definitely like something similar although I don't get the top loaded inputs, not my thing I'm afraid. Too home brew for me.

I run right angle adapters on it James.  Five years ago the parts cost alone excluding casework was approaching £2k as I recall 

the reason for the top loading sockets is to keep the signal paths to and from the valves as short as possible to reduce the chance of pickup of hum as I recall....and DHT amps can hum for England as they say.

Mine even picks up the occasional taxi radio transmission ....and the road is 60 ft away !

Edited by MF 1000

10 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

I run right angle adapters on it James.  Five years ago the parts cost alone excluding casework was approaching £2k as I recall 

the reason for the top loading sockets is to keep the signal paths to and from the valves as short as possible to reduce the chance of pickup of hum as I recall....and DHT amps can hum for England as they say.

Mine even picks up the occasional taxi radio transmission ....and the road is 60 ft away !

And ground plane. Mine are/will be top mounted for all these reasons. Mounting them on the rear in the normal fashion is an excellent way to have problems with hum and noise pickup.

As I recall when Awkwardbydesign built his copy of mine he fitted the sockets at the rear ....and had lots of hum issues 

Super Dealer
53 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

As I recall when Awkwardbydesign built his copy of mine he fitted the sockets at the rear ....and had lots of hum issues 

There’s absolutely no reason why rear mounted sockets should cause hum. As folk have already noted, gain is low with most DHTs. Most hum comes from the heater supply on these which is avoidable with DC heater supplies. And please don’t say AC sounds better! Ground plane? We are talking point to point wiring here so not relevant 

Edited by Juancho
  • Like 1

Havent we strayed from the 'balanced' requirement?

The B.A.T. VK5, 5i, 5e might fit the bill. See the Stereophile review.

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

BAT preamps aren't DHT designs I don't think?

I know that you are thrilled with your speakers having gone active and I know from that thread that you are currently using an analogue active external crossover (hence your interest in my Marchand DX9 active xo).

My question, James,is, given the crossover has balanced connections, which is the higher priority for you: that the pre amp be balanced or that it be a DHT?

Jack