radiant red

Cambridge Audio Challenging the big boys

Super Wammer

I brought the Edge 19 streamer 18 months ago from RS in Maidstone while I was working down there .. lovely demo by a gentleman of my age  .. yes it is expensive but not only is it a great streamer it is also a bloody good preamp to my Vincent hybrid power amp ...the stream magic app is also a doddle to use for someone like me who is not tech savvy on such things ..

it looks very stylish and has a wealth of connections on the rear .. I love it ...and is part of my end game system ..

kindest regards Julianimage.thumb.jpg.7d343133f0b6fcf78de2f6f911e9f77c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I brought the Edge 19 streamer 18 months ago from RS in Maidstone while I was working down there .. lovely demo by a gentleman of my age  .. yes it is expensive but not only is it a great streamer it is also a bloody good preamp to my Vincent hybrid power amp ...the stream magic app is also a doddle to use for someone like me who is not tech savvy on such things ..

it looks very stylish and has a wealth of connections on the rear .. I love it ...and is part of my end game system ..

kindest regards Julianimage.thumb.jpg.7d343133f0b6fcf78de2f6f911e9f77c.jpg

Julian, did you meet Julian 😂

Yes, I’ve heard it and compared to my 851 it is a major step up. Limited only by the shop sold in. (Nothing wrong with RS) but it’s in a different league so if it was side by side with a few other brands of similar value, it might be better 

What they could have done in a premium amplifier is make it Class A, but no. Their choice was 200 watts (how many of need that at home?) and what they call "Class XA". Breakthrough or gimmick or doesn't change much...? So what's "Class XA"? Here's a brief YT explanation:

They've always challenged the "big boys" (whoever they might be). Albeit not my choice but I can see why they sell by the bucket load. Years ago heard the Azur 840 amplifier around a forum members house, and although the speakers weren't right for the amp it had shed loads of power. A mate had the cheaper Azur 640 V2 and it sounded fine.

More recently heard the Edge integrated at Richer Sounds. Not a demo, it was already set-up with a Cambridge streamer and it sounded the dogs. At £5.5k it should.

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

What they could have done in a premium amplifier is make it Class A, but no. Their choice was 200 watts (how many of need that at home?) and what they call "Class XA". Breakthrough or gimmick or doesn't change much...? So what's "Class XA"? Here's a brief YT explanation:

The proof is in the listening 

Hopefully it has the same success as the re branded Skoda 🤞

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

The proof is in the listening 

Yes indeed. Has anyone heard this amp, or even better heard both this amp and one of Sugden's Class A amps? Sugden are making some pretty big Class A amps these days, so the power is available. Quite a few Wammers here like the sound of the Sugden designs. 

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

Yes indeed. Has anyone heard this amp, or even better heard both this amp and one of Sugden's Class A amps? Sugden are making some pretty big Class A amps these days, so the power is available. Quite a few Wammers here like the sound of the Sugden designs. 

I think I’d only want to hear them at home. There is no speaker in RS I would want to hear them on. 
The Windsor branch lent me the Edge Streamer last year and it was impressive and build quality was exceptional. I think if I ever went active, it would be on the list. 

• Like 1

Wow that's a large increase .......even taking into account material and production costs .

Cambridge Audio appear to have had an interesting history over the years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Audio

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

A pall of unreliability hangs over the brand for me. No personal experience of it, but many instances seen online and even in magazine reviews where kit failed..... Including volume control failures iirc where integrateds went to max. 

That's a big hurdle for the brand going upmarket imo. 

We see the problems online but what we do not see is how many units have been sold .. what you need to know is % failure versus units sold which may change perceptions and have a justification based on facts.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Biggest brand in India right @newlash09 ?

Also big in the states apparently. Yes, they shift a lot of kit. Sadly only two items hold their value here and that’s the CXN and the 851N streamers, why? Because they are bloody brilliant. Oh and the original CD1 if you can find one.

56 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Also big in the states apparently.

Crutchfield, which is a large online/catalog dealer of audio equipment, sells Cambridge Audio equipment.  Their meat and potatoes equipment is usually priced very competitively with entry and mid-level stuff from the likes of Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon.  Unfortunately, Cambridge Audio does not have a very good reputation on US Hi-fi forums in my experience.  In some ways, their reputation is quite similar to that of NAD's reputation.  :o  I know that they were/are a bit of a laughingstock when it came out that their Topaz CD player couldn't even support gapless playback through the built-in DAC which meant it was most certainly an off-standard player.  :doh:  I know that's an entry-level CD player, but even $20 drugstore boomboxes have CD players which support gapless playback.  :nup:

It's a bit of a shame that their reputation is what it is because, AFAIK, Cambridge Audio makes the only receiver(s) in the US market which supports RDS on FM radio.  For whatever reason, the other companies making receivers and tuners seem to refuse to support RDS here in the US.  :S

Also, it's funny to see people use the acronym 'RS' to mean an audio retailer which isn't Radio Shack.  xD  'RS' in the US means Radio Shack/Tandy. 

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Also, it's funny to see people use the acronym 'RS' to mean an audio retailer which isn't Radio Shack.  xD  'RS' in the US means Radio Shack/Tandy. 

Ah good old Tandy ... do they still sell speakers priced as ‘each’ 

• Haha 1