radiant red

Cambridge Audio Challenging the big boys

4 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Ah good old Tandy ... do they still sell speakers priced as ‘each’ 

RadioShack's still around after two bankruptcies in the 2010s, but they mostly only exist now as an online store these days and they don't sell Hi-Fi equipment.  That said, it was announced just yesterday that someone has bought the company and they are claiming they are changing up their inventory.  Who knows what that means.  Not that Klassik would buy them, but that would be great if they brought back the Realistic Mach Ones.  :rockin:

SEVENTIES STEREO: Realistic Mach One 4029 photo.

Realistic Minimus 7s might be something that I would be interested in.  xD

Speakers « Audio

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Biggest brand in India right @newlash09 ?

Also big in the states apparently. Yes, they shift a lot of kit. Sadly only two items hold their value here and that’s the CXN and the 851N streamers, why? Because they are bloody brilliant. Oh and the original CD1 if you can find one.

Definitely yes :)

The origins of the brand are not known in India. So CA is still seen as a bonafied aspirational brand with hifi pedigree and history in both India and much of the USA.  Especially their  last CX line, which consisted of the CXC, CXN, CXA have genuinely put them on the map, and have been hot selling. And for very good reason too.. I have two friends with the CXN V1 and it sounds great.

After the almost compulsory marantz 6006 / 6007 series where almost everyone starts in this hobby in India. The CA CX series is where this hobby leads to for most, as a next upgrade.

• Like 1

I own the CXN v1 and I much prefer it to the v2. For the money it is, indeed, ridiculously good.

Here's another thought about Cambridge Audio as it relates to the US market.  I think some American Hi-Fi shoppers confuse Cambridge Audio for Cambridge SoundWorks, a former Hi-Fi speaker company run by legendary Acoustic Research, Advent, and KLH speaker designer Henry Kloss.  Cambridge Audio and Cambridge SoundWorks are very pretty similar names so you can see how they could be confused for one another.  The Cambridge in Cambridge SoundWorks refers to Cambridge, Massachusetts.  I have no idea if Cambridge SoundWorks products were available outside the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_SoundWorks

Cambridge Soundworks Model Six Bookshelf speakers review ...
Edited by Klassik

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Klassik said:

RadioShack's still around after two bankruptcies in the 2010s, but they mostly only exist now as an online store these days and they don't sell Hi-Fi equipment.  That said, it was announced just yesterday that someone has bought the company and they are claiming they are changing up their inventory.  Who knows what that means.  Not that Klassik would buy them, but that would be great if they brought back the Realistic Mach Ones.  :rockin:

SEVENTIES STEREO: Realistic Mach One 4029 photo.

My dad still has the smaller version of these with the 10" woofer up in the loft somewhere, so I'll be inheriting them at some point in the future no doubt. I remember the day they came home from our local Tandy on their opening day, together with a receiver in matching walnut, and a (gasp!) cassette deck! Compared to the frankly shocking music centre kit he had used before it was a revelation. Not sure what a few decades of progress would make of them now...

I've had a few bits of CA kit over the years, including the dinky Minx satellites that used to be used for A/V duties (and matching sub that's still in service - it's pretty good considering the modest size). Also I still have my Azur 740C CD player in my second system. Sounds great, when it decides to work - to the point of an earlier poster, reliability hasn't been it's strong point. The transport loads discs when it feels like it, and it's been through three displays (under warranty) but is still no better - half the elements in the number groups don't work so it's basically useless. Such a shame as the electronics are superb, especially for the price, and with the various digital ins and the 384kHz upsampling makes a very competent and enjoyable DAC.

My best mate uses a CXA61 amp and for the money it's excellent. Not massively sophisticated, not supremely powerful, not incredibly insightful, or notable in any of the traditional audiophile virtues, but it goes about its business in a completely un-fussy way and the results are very very listenable. For hours on end, actually, we've spent evenings just trawling endlessly through some varied music collections and thoroughly enjoyed the music, without ever really feeling that we've missed out.

Potential reliability issues aside, I think the Edge range is excellent (although I confess to only having spent brief time with the streamer / pre and amp). The price hike is a bit concerning though, there's some stiff competition at those price points and probably better alternatives if I might be so bold. RS might find that they've priced themselves out of the market, let's hope not though as I think they deserve to succeed with these premium products.

On 19/11/2020 at 22:51, radiant red said:

More likely the foreign market 

Agreed

Super Wammer
On 20/11/2020 at 09:07, bigrod said:

I brought the Edge 19 streamer 18 months ago from RS in Maidstone while I was working down there .. lovely demo by a gentleman of my age  .. yes it is expensive but not only is it a great streamer it is also a bloody good preamp to my Vincent hybrid power amp ...the stream magic app is also a doddle to use for someone like me who is not tech savvy on such things ..

it looks very stylish and has a wealth of connections on the rear .. I love it ...and is part of my end game system ..

kindest regards Julianimage.thumb.jpg.7d343133f0b6fcf78de2f6f911e9f77c.jpg

Only stylish with the door open - sorry i’ll get my coat. 

I got to hear it at RS with the matching power amp and those £5000 QAcustics speakers and very nice it was too  

On 20/11/2020 at 15:58, radiant red said:

Ah good old Tandy ... do they still sell speakers priced as ‘each’ 

pricing speakers singularly is still very  common here  in mainland Europe .as an example https://www.stassen-hifi.de/speakers/speaker/acapella-campanile-2

• Like 1