malcesine

First turntable?

In fact I think I will buy it for myself at that price

Stewart

The other point i would recommend is getting a TT with an removable headshell if you intend experimenting with different carts as most new ies to vinyl invariably do

Stewart

• Like 1

Completely agree with Stewarts recco for a detachable headshell which makes changing carts a doddle compared to a fixed headshell. 

I wish my Audio Note Arm Three had one!

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, malcesine said:

thanks for recommendations, could find another £100 in budget for something nice

Make it £500 and you will have enough for a secondhand t/t and phonostage. 

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, Lurch said:

@malcesine I have an RD80SL with Linn Basic plus (LVX) here doing nothing. Happy to post, £150 Inc p&p. Then it's just a cart (AT vm95E) and phono.

IMG_20201023_193620.thumb.jpg.cd7d621a6e5be2e48b0ee5f465c3f0d0.jpg

Screenshot_20201119-194441.png

This is a great starter t/t. I would have confidence in Lurch packing it well but sending by courier and arriving safely might be in doubt. If you can collect this could be great. It’s all about preferences but I would prefer this over a Rega. (I used to have a Rega P9)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DomT said:

This is a great starter t/t. I would have confidence in Lurch packing it well but sending by courier and arriving safely might be in doubt.

One of the most important things is to not leave the lid attached by its hinges!  My Oracle Delphi was sent like that, and of course it twisted in the post and cracked the lid.  Everything else was fine.

Super Wammer
59 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

One of the most important things is to not leave the lid attached by its hinges!  My Oracle Delphi was sent like that, and of course it twisted in the post and cracked the lid.  Everything else was fine.

And maybe taking the arm and platter off!

My neighbour has an old but operational Pioneer PL512 TT with a newish but cheap stock stylus I can borrow.

My Arcam AVR600 also has an MM phono stage and I can pass the analogue straight out to my Vincent stereo amp and to the Quad ESL63’s.

Would this setup be good enough to give a reasonable idea of whether analogue is for me? Then I can buy something proper as recommended here and start the inevitable upgrade journey

or do I need to get at least Lurch’s suggested setup or a Rega P3 standard TT to get a realistic idea of what analogue / vinyl v my SBT really sounds like?

Edited by malcesine

I would definitely go for @Lurch's VERY kind offer. You won't beat it for the money.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

The Pioneer didn’t get a great write up in the HiFi Choice annual book. Below average. Take up Lurches offer. 9ED27B2A-501B-4D3D-A861-1C701E18F0B3.thumb.jpeg.3c84d622c7323d2d1a909fbd35f8975d.jpeg

Get the Ariston, damn good suspended turntable for not a lot. Yes there is better but not for that money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, graham67 said:

Hi Phil 

No offence taken 🙂.  I agree the Axis is an excellent sounding turntable. 

It would be interesting to hear which Technics your Dad had as they did also make a lot of cheaper stuff that was not as good (often intended for use in their stack systems.)

And I completely agree the Technics sound is not for all. If you want a more lyrical flowing presentation, something like an Axis or maybe a systemdek will be better suited.

Thanks Graham. Sorry, but Dad isn't around to ask about his Technics turntable. This was the mid 1980s and I doubt if he'd remember the model even if he was still alive. I guess the experience put me off the brand name rather than one particular model, which may be a bit unfair. Further, if you like the sound of a turntable (Technics or otherwise) who am I to say you shouldn't?

You could try an old Plastic Fantastic ;) a NAD 5120 if you can find one

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=NAD&model=5120

nad_5120.jpg

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, EddieRUKidding said:

You could try an old Plastic Fantastic ;) a NAD 5120 if you can find one

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=NAD&model=5120

nad_5120.jpg

I had one of these with the tubular arm, and Ortofon OMB 5e. It never ceased to amaze me at how good it sounded, for what looked like a very cheap plastic TT.

• Like 1