Linn AV 5150 Subwoofer

Hello All,

Texas newbie to this forum and new to owning a Linn product (AV 5150). I've been searching till I got a headache from all the dead ends (including Linn support).

I recently acquired the 5150 and knew it had an issue, however I'm retired and somewhat bored so I figured what the heck on the purchase, and trying to bring it back to life!

I'm hoping someone out there has technical knowledge on this unit and has links to the service manual, technical troubleshooting tips and tricks etc.

The cabinet condition is mint + it is a good looking piece!

Thanks much,

Dennis

For sure that would help, however I tried to keep my first message here to a minimum.

Issue - power up, red light is on (guessing this is standby mode). Send audio to it and red light turns to green and there is a light hum from the driver, followed by a thump from the driver. Red light comes back on and in a couple of seconds green light comes back on followed by hum and thump.

The above pattern of hum, thump will continue repeatedly until audio signal is turned off.

Appreciate you replying to my message Martin.

There was a recall for this sub (maybe in its earlier version as the ‘Melodik’), where Linn replaced some capacitors as I recall. It might be worth contacting Linn with the serial number as they’ll have a record of the mod if it was performed.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Linn has not replied to any of my messages so sending them the serial # probably would result with the same zero response. I'll send them the serial anyway and hope one day they will respond. FYI. I looked at all caps and see no bulges, leaks etc. No evident burn marks anywhere. Checked for loose connections....nada.

Dennis

The recall that MickC remembers affected the PCAS121 board, which was also used in the LK240, and AV5105 IIRC. The fault caused overheating in the big caps which blew a fuse, so doesn’t sound like your problem. I’ve never seen a service manual, but that’s not to say one isn’t still available to Linn dealers via the online portal (used to be Linfo)

As it’s not completely dead, it could be a power supply issue and the popular recommendation is to look at replacing all the small, electrolytic capacitors. Have you opened it up and inspected the insides?

’troll

PS - when did you email Linn? They are short staffed with COVID restrictions in Scotland and could take several days to reply to email enquiries. 

Edited by Moomintroll

Hi troll,

I emailed Linn at least 2 weeks ago and yes I realize with Covid all are short staffed. Hopefully I will hear from them soon? I'm a retired service Tech (not on audio though) so being curious I did look inside. No obvious issue that I could see and fuses are fine. 

Believe if I could get schematics/tech manual etc., that would go a long way toward resolving the issue. I will look back inside to see what exact boards are in there. Hoping they have identifying numbers on them.

Dennis

Contact Audio Concepts in Dallas. They should be able to help you, and perhaps even get schematics for you. I had my Sizmik repaired (similar issue) and the local repair shop (in Vancouver) was able to get schematics from the local Linn dealer. By the way, I lived in Dallas for 7 years and Austin for 23.

Thanks akamatsu. I did speak briefly with Audio Concepts (20 miles from me) about this problem but at that time I did not think to ask them about schematics. The only advice they gave was to contact a repair shop in Austin (Pyramid Audio). I will call Audio Concepts back on schematics.

Did your Vancouver repair shop say what they fixed, or parts replaced on your Sizmik?

Dennis

The amp in the Sizmik is a single board. He replaced all the capacitors. There really isn't a need to troubleshoot once the problem is isolated to the amp board. Just replace all of them. It works perfectly now, and is dead silent when idle. He said the amp tends to overheat.

Edit: I just remembered something. the repair tech struggled for a while as he couldn't get the schematic from Linn. So, he contacted the dealer, who obtained it for him. From that point, the repair happened quickly and thoroughly.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

Thanks again. 3 boards on this unit so hoping to narrow it down. Will be calling Linn dealers in the hope of finding schematics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recommend you also call Linn directly in Scotland on +44 141 307 7777

Once you mention the recall they have to help check that out as there is fire risk if it's not taken care of - all of my 6 5105 amps had to be returned on this recall.

Good luck and let us know how you get along. I love my 5150 sub - very musical once you get it dialed in and it's beautiful!

Thanks, however Linn has not even responded to emails sent to them 3 weeks ago. Doubt they would be receptive if I called.

24 minutes ago, mabrow said:

Thanks, however Linn has not even responded to emails sent to them 3 weeks ago. Doubt they would be receptive if I called.

This non-response is not typical in normal times. In current circumstances, the support team is working from home and some may be on furlough. I'd go with @Clarets' suggestion, and try the phone call. You've little to lose, and you might get lucky.

David