tkimages

HDMI audio extractor

I tried to use the optical out from my LG 4K player to input hires audio into my system,  but it was limited to 48k.  Apparently full res is only available on HDMI (DRM and all that!!), and my system has no HDMI audio input.  So I need a 'box' that will strip out the hires audio from an HDMI lead and output it still at 96k (or higher) via optical or digital coax.  Meridian do one which would match my system, but it's way OTT in both specification and price!

Anyone tried one (about £100) that will do the job successfully without messing up the sound?

I had to get a couple of low cost HDMI audio extractors recently and one thing I found is that the 2 channel/stereo specs are never listed. They all seem to focus on the surround sound specs. 
You’ll also probably find that a lot of these are identical units and just rebranded.

Can your ears hear a difference? 48 or 96+. ?

4 minutes ago, Hornucopia said:

No but it's comforting to know your getting the full fat .

15 hours ago, Hornucopia said:

If I play the Immersion 5.1 Blu Ray of DSOTM through the TV (48Khz) then play the ripped audio soundtrack via Roon (96Khz) then there is a night and day difference.  I do realise that the TV electronics may have had a go at degrading the audio quality as well as down sampling it to 48Khz., so it's not a fair 96 vs 48 test.

I have however, done some 44.1 vs 88.2 and 48 vs 96 all from various sources and usually the higher res version is better.  On those albums where it is not, it seems to that the high res version has taken away the immediacy and attack in favour of detail, so maybe a mastering thing.