Taking Advantage of Linn’s 20% Off Surround System Promotion

Unless I've missed something, there's nothing in this offer that is relevant to passive system owners like myself.  Shame, since I've a nice pair of passive Akudoriks gathering dust in the dining room just aching to be employed as rear speakers...

10 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

That's for the 25% of customers who also want a cheese sandwich 🙂

If you need 4 channels only, and there is an Exakt profile for your speakers, then a AEBox 6 and a 4100or 4200 amp will do the job. Two channels of the Exaktbox will not be used, but that's not really a big deal. 

David 

For twice the money of one AEBI

9 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

For twice the money of one AEBI

True. You can AFAIK run an AEB-i on only four channels, again assuming that there is an Exakt profile for the speakers. I'll grant you that Exakt pricing is weird, but I'd argue that the range of channel configurations offered in the various Exaktboxes is not unreasonable. 

David 

David,  I think you missed the point,  if to run my rear, centre and sub I only need 4 channels then a AEBI 10 is over 50% redundant.  I would prefer less channels and less cost.  Lowering the cost of entry to Exakt surely would be a good thing for Linn getting more people on the ladder.  An AEBI would be more than adequate to run my surround channels  for movies.  

17 hours ago, linnman said:

Unfortunately I think if I’m correct Series 3 are not part of the offer

Here are the terms and conditions: https://www.linn.co.uk/offers/winter-promo/terms

It appears that Series 3 isn't available for promotion 1. However, there is no mention of exclusions for promotion 2, the surround promotion.

Edited by akamatsu

1 hour ago, Fitter Stoke said:

Unless I've missed something, there's nothing in this offer that is relevant to passive system owners like myself.  Shame, since I've a nice pair of passive Akudoriks gathering dust in the dining room just aching to be employed as rear speakers...

An Exaktbox can provide surround channel signals to passive speakers.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound#Surround_5.1_With_analogue_Fronts_.26_Exaktbox_.22Surround.22_speaker

Edit: I just looked at your profile. Looks like you would need a DSM and an Exaktbox. And it looks like you prefer Klimax level.

Edited by akamatsu

10 hours ago, 9designs said:

David,  I think you missed the point,  if to run my rear, centre and sub I only need 4 channels then a AEBI 10 is over 50% redundant.  I would prefer less channels and less cost.

No, I get that. Actually what you prefer is a lower price, rather than reduced cost.

My point is that, as the current Exaktboxes can do the job you want done perfectly well, there is no point, from Linn's perspective, in offering, say, a four channel Exaktbox, unless that increases the profitability and sustainability of the Exaktbox product line. Given that developing a four channel box would have a cost, and that most of the manufacturing and logistic costs would be pretty much the same for a four channel box as for its six and ten channel counterparts, I don't see how the four channel box could actually make marketing and financial sense for Linn.

David

14 hours ago, linnman said:

Unfortunately I think if I’m correct Series 3 are not part of the offer

My dealer has spoken to Linn, and for my initial setup idea, they were going to include everything needed to add surround to my existing system, so speakers were included in the 20% off deal. I don't see why any amended list of kit would be any different, i.e. using Series 3 instead of Exaktbox + 109s.

Edited by garyt

5 hours ago, garyt said:

My dealer has spoken to Linn, and for my initial setup idea, they were going to include everything needed to add surround to my existing system, so speakers were included in the 20% off deal. I don't see why any amended list of kit would be any different, i.e. using Series 3 instead of Exaktbox + 109s.

It wouldn't be, and isn't. There are no exclusions for promo #2, the surround promo. See the link to the terms and conditions in my reply above.

On 22/11/2020 at 02:12, akamatsu said:

It wouldn't be, and isn't. There are no exclusions for promo #2, the surround promo. See the link to the terms and conditions in my reply above.

Unfortunately for me, Japan appears to be wholly excluded from the surround sound promotion.

Remember its also possible to go Exakt Surround with far fewer channels when using non-Linn speakers.

Filters for the following surround options available off the shelf:

PMC Twenty Series (21, 22, 26, Centre)

Mission 77x Series (773e, 77c1, 771e, soon to be added 772 option)

Coming soon:

Mission 78x Series (783, 782 & 780 already available, 781 and 78C coming soon)

Plus most other speaker options, as required.

6 hours ago, stuarts said:

Unfortunately for me, Japan appears to be wholly excluded from the surround sound promotion.

It's only the UK, Europe, and North America. Linn Japan are currently running a no-interest loan promotion, but it may have just ended. I'm looking at getting a Linn Majik system for the Japan (Yokosuka) house, so any discount would have been nice.

It is odd that linn is promoting surround sound yet don’t currently have the hardware to support it no sub and no centre channel speaker

On 27/11/2020 at 01:00, akamatsu said:

It's only the UK, Europe, and North America. Linn Japan are currently running a no-interest loan promotion, but it may have just ended. I'm looking at getting a Linn Majik system for the Japan (Yokosuka) house, so any discount would have been nice.

Yes, Linn are not big on discounts here. Thankfully, the switching power supplies make it possible to buy a lot of Linn components overseas, but shipping is not practical for large speakers. Apologies for the tangent. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stuarts said:

Yes, Linn are not big on discounts here. Thankfully, the switching power supplies make it possible to buy a lot of Linn components overseas, but shipping is not practical for large speakers. Apologies for the tangent. 

But the shopping experience in Japan is so awesome. They make you feel like royalty.

• Like 1