darthvadersdad

One Box or Two????????

Super Wammer

In the mid nineties (I think) I had the opportunity to have a multitude of two box Cd/Dac combo's for whole bank holiday weekend to compare with a view to buying if I liked one of them from Audio Projects in Headingley Leeds.

I already owned an Arcam Delta 270 one box & loaned the matching Dac I also loaned the Iinn Karik/ Numeric combo and finally a Teac two box combo but can't remember which models sorry

I invited a very good friend who also had the same player as me for some serious listening, So armed with our favourite CD's & test tracks there on we commenced on our journey of discovery. As we had the house & whole weekend to ourselves it was pretty much full on from morning till night swopping the various combinations in & out making notes about each one trying to be as objective as we could and having a ball in the process.

So we come to our conclusions we both had favourites for various reasons myself it was the Arcam & Don prefered the Teac neither of us rated the linn combo which was a bit sterile a bit kind of music by numbers. Both the others were more musical & involving/entertaining.

Anyway I will come to the crux of the matter after a whole weekend of music beer (not too much) takeaways (too many) and loads of tunes We decided to box everything up & put it in the hall. I then returned my system back to it's normal set up and sat back & chilled out.

Well to our great suprise the music just seemed to flow beautifully via my one box Arcam Delta 270 player very together hugely entertaining and musical. The phrase Gobsmacked does'nt do it justice & I have never revisited two box cd's since & was wholly contented with my Arcam for many years till it died on me replaced by a Marantz Ki Pearl then an Esoteric DV50s.

So has the two box cd player moved on I sometimes wonder am I missing out on a huge improvement from my cd's sticking with one box playing?????????

Super Wammer

Well I'm running a 2 box Lector CDP7TL, however in this instance the 2nd box is the psu as opposed to a DAC. Lector also do a 4 box version, cdt, dac, 2x psu.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Well I'm running a 2 box Lector CDP7TL, however in this instance the 2nd box is the psu as opposed to a DAC. Lector also do a 4 box version, cdt, dac, 2x psu.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

4 boxes 😱😱😱😱!

Yes and I’m a proud owner of the Lector 4 box setup ....incredibly musical and so non digital 

• Like 1

Quite right Keith. Only two boxes? Way too few :D

Edited by rabski
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

Have had both. Two box Wadia and one box Marantz SA-KI. Just depends. 

I have a total of two boxes (in main system) for practical reasons. 1 x integrated amp and 1 x streamer/dac, for me the less boxes the better. Maybe if I had more space.....

• Like 1

Twenty boxes in the system at the moment, but it should be twenty-two by the end of the weekend. Not including turntable, reel-to-reel and speakers, of course.

It's not quite enough, but it's getting there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, rabski said:

Twenty boxes in the system at the moment, but it should be twenty-two by the end of the weekend. Not including turntable, reel-to-reel and speakers, of course.

30 is the magic number!! 

Just now, DomT said:

30 is the magic number!! 

I'm trying. Just give me time :D

What I really need is more rack space.

2 minutes ago, rabski said:

You’re almost at the peak of the bell curve. 5 years from now it’ll just be a Naim Muso!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Less is more !!!!!!!!

4 box’s and you can’t see anything but the turntable .

Only 14 boxes and the 4 speaker boxes too 😁

7 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Only 14 boxes and the 4 speaker boxes too 😁

Amateur :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1