alboy1975

mac mini/rega dac r streamer, advice?

Hi

This is a follow up to this lengthy thread:  

I have my pc (main computer) and 2012 mac mini connected to my rega dac r, using optical connection.  I am still considering using an A-B usb to connect pc, freeing up optical to tv (this post with include a question on this.)  The mac and pc both have this streaming software install:   https://audirvana.com/.  Setting are the same on the pc and mac, with pc outputting using WAPSI and mac Core Audio.

My first question is, why are source and output identical on pc (eg 16/44.1-16/44.1), but on mac it always outputs at maximum bit depth (eg 16/44.1 - 24/44.1)?  Is this a common thing with Core Audio?

The second question I have is to ask whether or not audio grade usbs are just hifi bull****.  I could pick up a basic one for a few quid or buy something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioquest-Forest-USB-1-5-metres/dp/B00415AHFS/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=audio+a-b+usb&qid=1606001451&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Company-C-usb-USB-Cable/dp/B01EXLF1ZA/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=chord+a-b+usb&qid=1606001612&sr=8-5

I'd happily take any advice you have on suitable usbs.

The final question i have is in regard to a radio streamer.  https://audirvana.com/ is a nice piece of streaming software, but it does not have the capability of adding radio URLs.  Please might you be able to suggest  mac radio streaming software that has the ability to be controlled from a phone app (like the remote for audirvana).

NB.  I VNC into the mac from my pc for management.

Cheers

You can set core audio to be transparent or to resample everything. 

how?  Sorry new to macs

Fiddled about with midi output settings, but nothing seems to alter that it always outputs at 24bit.  The sample rate always matches source, up to 96 obviously

Edited by alboy1975

@alboy1975

I trialled audirvana a few years ago and seem to remember the audio output was set in audirvana (as its usp was that it took control of the output away from midi output settings)

If you don't get any help here, maybe look elsewhere, for example. There must be a beginners cribsheet somehwere :)

For radio, how about an Airport Express or Apple TV3 (that sort of thing, raspberry pi if you want)

For usb cables, try any usb2 certified cable, Hama or Supra to get a benchmark, buy expensive, boutique cables  second hand or on a returnable basis for what you think is a worthwhile budget, Decide for yourself if any improvement is offered :ph34r:

ronnie, who likes LMS for radio streaming O.o

Ok, I'm not sure how, but i've fixed the issue and added radio.  I have audirvana and j river running, with output from audiranva going through jriver.  There is now parity between source and output.  I have audirvana remote and jriver remote, with the latter used to select radio stations added to jriver.  And most importantly, sounding better than it did.

Oh and music is being streamed from tidal, something which j river does not do by default

Update - fix not worked.   It plays two tracks of any given playlist then craps out.  This is driving me insane.  All i want to bit-perfect playback and the bloody radio.

Edited by alboy1975
  • Upvote 1